Hello everyone!: )

Hi guys. I’ve been reading this forum on and off for a long time to learn more about trucking as its something I’ve always been interested in doing and now I’m finally posting! :smiley:

Both my grandads were truckers although my dad himself didnt go down that line so its sort of in the family history but I don’t currently know anyone that is a trucker or associated with the industry. So my interest so far has consisted of doing quite a bit of reading around on this forum and elsewhere on the net. I was also lucky enough to go to the last PDA training day they had at Brett Transport in the summer. I had great fun driving a 26t rigid and an arctic which apparently was fully loaded! Thanks to Ian and Pat for a great day if they read this!

However, I have no real insight into what its like to actually be on the road doing the job and I would like to find out what its like as much as possible before spending my hard earned ( :question: ) money on the training. So I was wondering if there was anyone willing to take me along on a job so I can see what its really like. I know there is a great variety of work around and every job isnt going to be the same but it would give me a good idea of what I could expect day to day, and who knows, maybe I could actualy be useful :question: :question: :unamused:

Hello mate,
Welcome to the forum and good to see your in your first steps for the hgv stuff, Many might tell you to stick with your current job assuming you have one as it isn’t the best of things to get into at the moment, but if you REALLY want to do it, Do it!! :smiley:
Now it depends what kind of work your wanting to do, whether its general haulage, bulk tippers, tankers, containers, flats, heavy haulage, Not even scratched the service i wouldn’t of thought, then its a high likely of how your wanting to work, whether it be days, nights or tramping (out all week back on weekends etc) Now as i’m only a student at college i can only advise to what i’ve seen so far mate, and what i’m going to be doing myself!! So don’t throw me out because of that lol, Also providing your wanting to do this and serious about doing it then do so, but days when my dad did it he started at 6 and finished at 6, give or take for jobs and stuff, Nights i’d assume start at like 5 or 6 at night and work up till the early hours of the morning, and tramping expect to be starting early morning sunday/monday and being out all week and if your home during the week consider it a bonus i suppose. Also it depends what part of the country you’re from, If you are from the southern or really northern parts i can’t really advise on anything as i don’t live in them parts and would be rather bad to say so as i don’t wanna mis-lead anybody :slight_smile: But i would suggest see what driving jobs are going in your area, and see what experience you would need if any, then if there are, as in the yorkshire area from what i’ve seen there are quite a few driving jobs going about, believe me or not but it’s what i’ve seen!!! But if you are anything like me, eat, breathe and sleep trucks and have done since childhood then you’ll be happy enough to take whatever driving work is going!! Anyway i hope this has helped some buddy, and i know it’s a good idea to go with a driver and what not to see what it would be like but in what i can see there’s no better way of experience then going out and do it yourself. Get a job driving vans, get yourself use to the driving hours etc, multidrop experience, then work your way up, its what i’m going to be doing but i’m using my age to my advantage and going on apprenticeship for my HGV training, Because i’m from yorkshire and tight with my money and really can’t afford the high training costs :imp: :imp: (Thats my personal situation though!!) Hope this helps, i’m sure some other more experienced chaps on here will be able to help you better then i can but i’m using my personal opinions to try help!! Hope it has :smiley: :smiley:

Regards

Jonny

TBH not many will be able to take you along due to the insurance factor
But if you have a job atm stay there but nothing to stop you taking your test etc

Depends where you live as well as you will need to find a training provider but please dont use a Brooker go to visit them you will need to pass a medical then do your theory & HPT also depends when you passed your car test as if you have to do the initial dcpc or if you have grandfather rights ( then you will have to do 35 hrs before sept 2014 )

Welcome to the mad house

Forgot to mention I live near Peterborough!

Hi jonny, thanks the info, lots to think about. Well currently between jobs. My last one I had an office job for a year doing admin 9-5pm. I found that I hated being at a desk all day, even when I was busy or had something interesting to do. I’ve always liked driving and travelling to new places, seeing new things, the idea of long distance trucking appeals, I don’t mind being away from home or friends/family during the week at all. The fact there is so much variety in the type of work out there is something that also appeals to be about the industry.

I’ve looked for all driving work in my area. There seems to be quite a bit of HGV work about and not all of them mention that any experience is needed specifically. As for van work there doesn’t seem to be as much as that about around here and the ones I’ve applied to I usually don’t even get a reply. Maybe thats because I don’t have any commercial driving experience and I am under 25 (23 atm).

Hi animal, I thought it might be the case with insurance having someone in the truck but I’ve heard of some long distance truckers taking their wife/relatives along with them sometimes so wasn’t sure whether it varied between companies very much. And I would need to do CPC, passed in 2004. Don’t worry I’ve read all about brokers on this forum!

Sorry but dont know any providers in Peterborough area but if you look in your yellow pages im sure they will have some listed call them up & arrange a visit

If between jobs then register with the agencies in your area they may be able to give you some work but again it will come down to insurance as you being only 23 as most want you to be 25 + again this is the insurance companies

Good luck with it if you really want to do it then I would stat doing as much as possible now if you can there are some training providers on here that may be able to help or offer you some advice I know i have called more than 1 up and spoke with them but due to other things I decided not to go with them partly due to distance & I have some good providers in my area

You tend not to receive replies from companies due to the high level of contact they receive

Hi neil87 & welcome :smiley:

Welcome

Try actually going into a local haulage firm and asking them if you can go out with one of their drivers to gain an insight explain like you have on here they may let you go out with someone :bulb:

When i was looking for work a local company near me let me do that for the day

good luck

Jennie x

Jennie:
Welcome

Try actually going into a local haulage firm and asking them if you can go out with one of their drivers to gain an insight explain like you have on here they may let you go out with someone :bulb:

When i was looking for work a local company near me let me do that for the day

good luck

Jennie x

With no disrespect if he did go to a transport company would they really let him go with another driver I know I would not be happy taking a total stranger with me ( he is the same age as my daughter ) as not sure if I would be totally happy if my daughter was to do this

How would his family react to him going with a total stranger :question:

Would he be covered on the insurance if anything went wrong :question:

Sorry but maybe I am a bit cynical at times