Back tramping this week!

Pointless post alert.
Doing my first week of tramping in 8 yrs this week in general ,judging by the posts I’ve read on here its changed a bit regards parking and stuff ,so feeling a little bit apprehensive , not sure why … any hoo .heres to a good 5/6 day week. :smiley:

I always (subject to crap happening) use truck stops or services to park, any company that doesn’t cover that isn’t worth tramping for IMHO.

Obviously, it’s transport, so we’ve all had to park at the side of the road in a layby or industrial estate, but I don’t plan to.

Other than that, tramping - in the UK especially - is easier than I think it ever has been in the past, laptops, wifi hotspots, internet dongles etc make it home from home.

And sat nav’s have made tramping on general, ie going anywhere to anywhere, so much easier than carrying 100 a-z’s + a truckers atlas. Although I still carry a truckers atlas, I can’t remember when it last came out of my bag.

TBH…Whenever I can, I avoid parking up in truckstops and services. I never seem to be able to sleep, due to selfish drivers running engines, slamming doors or yapping loudly all night. Industrial estates every time.

Laybys for me…the swaying motion gets me to sleep a treat!

Ask the boss to sign up to Snap,the driver does not pay for parking.Just number plate when pull in,that is it.
Some decent sites now,such as Pjm by Coventry airport off the A46/5 roundabout.
Roast dinners,clean showers,friendly staff.
The Hollies is good now,showers modernised.Good choice of food.
Foam ear plugs for noisy lay bys.

rather park in a layby aswell tho i drive at night so parked up most of the day, just have to keep an eye out as some have a lot of weirdos running about :open_mouth:

Yep ,my atlas has hardly seen the light of day lately,still don’t completely trust my sat nav though ,I don’t mind parking anywhere but company pays parking no problem,unless you have time to get to a depot ,which is fair enough. as long as I can get a shower at the end of the day I’m happy,quite self sufficient in the cab so food is never a problem.

Truck stops and msa’s are for dirty ■■■■■■■■ that can’t use a toilet or a bottle. You get inconsiderate night drivers in to leaving the engine running or the ■■■■ with the flash motor revving like a bad man.
I haven’t parked in one for years and not about to start, our firm get free parking for abnormal loads but not very often anyone uses it.

1. How easy it is to find a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ at industrial estates around the country?
  2. What’s the difference between services and truck stops?, I thought they were the same thing.

Motorway service area or Msa caters for the general public.
Truckstops cater for Lgv drivers but the public can still use the facilities there.
Msa favour coach drivers,as they over charge their passengers for food and drinks.
They tend not to like trucks as the amount of tarmac needed to park an artic,and drivers do not spend much there.