Exercise and Trucking?

Hi again.
I am an Industrial Design student in Sheffield and did an BSc in Sport Tech.

At the moment I am looking into the exercise, (if any) of truckers whilst on the road.
Do any truckers take part in regular exercise on the raod and if so what kind of things do you get up to, jogging, weights and resistance training??

For those who do not exercise, would it be something that you would take up if it were something that you could do comfortably in the confines of your cabin during one of your 45 min breaks or before a (well earned) nights sleep.

I have been reading the Coffee to Go dairies and understand (to a certain degree) how difficult your days, weeks are but perhaps some exercise would relieve some of the tension.
Kepp up the good work, KEEP ON TRUCKING…Bet you’ve all heard that one a few times before. SORRY :blush: :blush:

Andy Graham

On a very, very few occassions i remember seeing a couple of drivers going for a jog, this was when I was weekended somewhere in Europe.

The lack of CLEAN, HYGENIC AND PRIVATE showering facilities that are freely and readily available would be one of the main discouragements!!

Well, theres that ,and a possible lack of enthusiasm to run around a truck park in a pair of tight fluorescent lycra shorts!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Might just attract the wrong sort of attention :blush: :blush: :smiley: (unless your a well fit young lady…then theres nothing wrong with that at all :smiley: :wink: )

Do any truckers take part in regular exercise on the raod and if so what kind of things do you get up to, jogging, weights and resistance training??

I normally have to hand-load , my trailer at collections - mostly clothes - does that count as weights then ■■

yeah there’s having to lug boxes on and off the wagon.

1.5 mile cycle to work, Multidrop deliveries all day so im on and of the back all day, then a 1.5 mile uphill :imp: bike ride home, then i usually do a 10 - 15 mile off road bike ride at weekends.

But im really struggling at the moment due to when i stopped smoking i gained 4 stone :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: but ive since lost a stone and i seem to be getting a bit fitter now :blush: :sunglasses:

simon

I agree, multidrop deliveries where you’re carrying heavy packages etc. (especially up stairs :angry: ) is exercise itself, even pushing heavy pallets to the back of a truck can be hard work.

I originally put this on the other thread, not realising this one was here…

I do exercises as instructed by a Physio because of a condition I have…but not as many as I should. To be honest, I wouldn’t do them at all if I didn’t have to to stop my kneecaps dislocating…too ■■■■ tired most of the time! :blush:

Like above the only exercise I get is doing
multidrop and moving heavy pallets.

Lucy:
I do exercises as instructed by a Physio because of a condition I have…but not as many as I should. To be honest, I wouldn’t do them at all if I didn’t have to to stop my kneecaps dislocating…too ■■■■ tired most of the time! :blush:

Lucy have you had an operation to stop your
kneecaps dislocating as my right kneecap
dislocated 3 times and then I had the operation
done and not dislocated since I had it done about
8 years ago.

You do realise convoy you’ve just jinxed yourself now :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I once thought about doing some exercise, but then had a lie down and, luckily, the thought passed :laughing: :laughing:

convoy:
Lucy have you had an operation to stop your
kneecaps dislocating as my right kneecap
dislocated 3 times and then I had the operation
done and not dislocated since I had it done about
8 years ago.

Sadly, mate, that was only the extremely-over-simplified version…if the solution were that simple, it would’ve been sorted when I was first diagnosed as a child. :cry:

I have a hereditary muscular-skeletal condition which is basically incurable, although I have had and will no doubt continue to have occasional surgery to temporarily relieve the worst of the symtoms and keep me out of a wheelchair for a few more years.
The condition also indirectly causes other problems, the treatment for which is surgery too - in fact I’m off sick recovering from one such op. as we speak! :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Thanks for the thought though…:wink:

adgraham82:
At the moment I am looking into the exercise, (if any) of truckers whilst on the road.

Have you seen the majority of places that drivers of large vehicles have to park? If it’s a MSA, chances are you can’t get out of the place to get a decent run/jog. Running around the vehicle park means you are at risk of getting knocked over, being laughed at lots and deep-breathing ‘parking space urine’ fumes!!

adgraham82:
For those who do not exercise, would it be something that you would take up if it were something that you could do comfortably in the confines of your cabin during one of your 45 min breaks or before a (well earned) nights sleep.

When I was tramping I found that come the end of my 15/13 hour long day, no matter how much physical gratf I had/hadn’t done, I was KNACKERED! I wouldn’t have had the mental energy to motivate myself to do some phys. As for doing some in-cab exercises - no thanks! I was always a bit ‘cab-proud’ (clean!) and wouldn’t want to be sweating away in there!

adgraham82:
I have been reading the Coffee to Go dairies and understand (to a certain degree) how difficult your days, weeks are but perhaps some exercise would relieve some of the tension.

I’d be tempted to say that Neil (Coffeholic) gets to park in much better surroundings than UK drivers, mainly because he is doing Europe!! Having lived, worked and travelled in Germany for quite a few years, I have seen the standard of MSA’s over there. It is safe to say that there are quite a few of these places where you could go for a decent walk/jog/run, especially when you get near the Rhine & Mosel rivers.

Andy, i’d say you need to bear in mind also that day drivers are best placed to get to the gym of an evening but even they are maybe doing 12 hour shifts. That doesn’t leave much time for sleep, family etc. Exercise is probably much lower down the list of priorities than it should be… :unamused:

I saw in the Letters page of (I think) CM a 50 year old chap who had written in about his situation i.e. suffered heart trouble and lost his vocational licence. His parting line was along the lines of “cut down the ■■■■, eat less fatty foods, don’t drink so much, get some exercise and look after yourself!”

marcustandy:

adgraham82:

I’d be tempted to say that Neil (Coffeholic) gets to park in much better surroundings than UK drivers, mainly because he is doing Europe!! Having lived, worked and travelled in Germany for quite a few years, I have seen the standard of MSA’s over there. It is safe to say that there are quite a few of these places where you could go for a decent walk/jog/run, especially when you get near the Rhine & Mosel rivers.

And it is also quite safe to say that no matter how nice the MSA might be I wil be doing NO jogging or running. :wink: :smiley:

I might spill the coffee, aprt from anything else. :wink:

You must be joking! There is one thing I’d never do in an MSA!!!

However, being a day driver I do try and get to the gym after work (or before if I’ve a late start).

When I was on multidrop I was nice and fit… But now? Hmm. Too much not doing much. Yeah I know it’s driving, or standing around… but apart from that not much exercise…

Need some more hours in the day :frowning: :unamused: :unamused:

adgraham82:
something that you could do comfortably in the confines of your cabin during one of your 45 min breaks or before a (well earned) nights sleep

This guy once tried some “in cab” exercises can you guess what they were■■?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
simon

SimonRS2K:

adgraham82:
something that you could do comfortably in the confines of your cabin during one of your 45 min breaks or before a (well earned) nights sleep

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
simon

my he has a mighty right arm what sort of cab exercise has he be doing.
beating the wasps out of the window perhaps
he has certinley been beating something

SimonRS2K:
[

The little grey cells tell me he drives a right hand drive truck, has no power steering, the (steering) knob is on the right hand side, and his indicators and brake lights have packed up.
On the other hand he could have a job in the city and has trouble with his spelling :unamused:

Salut, David.

I have the good fortune of having a job where I’m home every day.

So four times a week I drag my carcass off to the gym, 30 mins on the jogger, 10 mins on the rowing machine, 20 mins on the stepper, an hour on weights (mainly free weights, not machine). Then onto the bike for 10 and into the sauna then a good shower. :sunglasses:

But, if I posted a picture of myself on here, you’d think everything I’ve just typed was [zb] :exclamation: