Exercise when waiting

Used to work for a skip firm and got plenty of exercise, in and out netting , sorting loads out etc. Artic driving is longer hours and struggle to find time when I get home. Thinking about doing exercise instead of just sitting on my arse when getting loaded/unloaded or on break,it’s not always possible but some places are quiet. Anybody do exercise during the day,looking for ideas. No Lycra jokes please.

Excercise bands are easy to carry, get a high rated one and you can wrap it a few times to make the tension stronger.

Planking is a good way to waste 1 minute.

Usual, sit ups, pull ups using the trailer chassis? climing the internal straps etc.

Loads of options, you look like a ■■■ when you get caught mind :blush:

Cheers Wayne ,I’ll try them and get a band. Not bothered about lookin a ■■■, because if I don’t do anything gonna end up with a pair of man ■■■■, not much fun when they are your own!

20 minute walk for me boris when I park up,10 mins there and ten mins back.

And you don’t look a ■■■ when you get caught. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Slightly off topic,I’ve started on cod liver oil and protein powder (bloody expensive mind) just to try and put a bit back. :sunglasses:

my daughter gave to me a book on Tai Chi (spelling?) which is a rather baffling oriental, martial, contemplative, individual art (sport?). I had a go at it during periods of enforced idleness. The very best part is the baffled look on the faces of other drivers and their surreptitious attempts to distance themselves. You look as though you are respectfully wrestling with a bear in very slow motion. Recommended.

Euro:
my daughter gave to me a book on Tai Chi (spelling?) which is a rather baffling oriental, martial, contemplative, individual art (sport?). I had a go at it during periods of enforced idleness. The very best part is the baffled look on the faces of other drivers and their surreptitious attempts to distance themselves. You look as though you are respectfully wrestling with a bear in very slow motion. Recommended.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Buy a skipping rope brilliant way of staying trim.

Personally I use the bunk, its great for stretching exercises and the odd neck movements when turning from side to side. I also run up and down the cab steps a few times a day, and often open the rear doors, so how much exercise are we talking about here :laughing: :laughing: I don’t want to over do it.

Get a manual truck, great for constant leg and arm exercise, problem is its only the left side, although alternate with a LHD and the right arm will get a workout, or just stick with a rhd and do the manly thing…

I get enough excercise leaping to conclusions and jumping in with both feet.

the maoster:

you forgot about the mouth and foot exercise :grimacing:

nick2008:

the maoster:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Sometimes I manage to get both in Nick!

the maoster:

nick2008:

the maoster:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Sometimes I manage to get both in Nick!

:grimacing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdZVWeA7a-Q

Hard to do any CV work when you are working. Better doing that when you are at home. To avoid atrophy I would suggest iso-metric and dynamic tension exercises which you can do at the wheel.
When driving and holding the steering wheel at the ten to two position, start trying to push your hands together gently and feel the tension in your pecs. You can still control the vehicle while applying tension, and you can apply more when stopped at lights or roadworks. Do the opposite for your shoulders. Try to pull your hands away while gripping the steering wheel will tense the shoulder muscles. You can adjust hand position to affect all areas of your chest and shoulders. This is the same principle as the old ‘Bullworker’ that used to be advertised. As you get stronger you increase the tension and your muscles respond. When driving long distances on the motorway you can set yourself goals by sighting a bridge in the far distance and holding the tension at a certain point and only releasing it when you reach the bridge.
You can do the same for your stomach muscles and your arse muscles too. By tensing and holding them for varying periods throughout the day. The bellies on some drivers are just ridiculous, and the next thing to go is your back because your stomach muscles are as essential for posture as your back muscles are. You can also tense and release your pelvic muscles, which is different to clenching your arse muscles, and this will ensure these muscles do not atrophy as well. If you don’t understand how important this is, then google it.
The guys who laugh about keeping fit are either dead at 65 or are those sad overweight gits running along the pavement because the doc has told them that a lifetime of being a bone idle ■■■■■■■ means they will die soon if they don’t do some exercise. So take some good advice and keep active. Fifteen hours sitting in a truck is not natural.

Here’s how i do it.

popeye.jpg

I am lucky enough my waiting time ATM is unloading furniture from the trailer which is hard work but it defiantly feels good after sitting around on my bum for a few hours. Before I was doing this job on the agency I was doing some work for a local company who did work collecting and dropping from places like bibbies and tesco. I sat there once for 6 hours in a tesco. As I go to the gym and try to keep fit I do think these places should have somewhere for drivers to get some exercise like a little gym with a few weights a couple of x trainers and a couple of rowers. I understand you would get a lot of drivers not interested but I’m sure there would be a few who would rather spend a couple of hours doing something with this time there waiting than sitting in a little box room listening to that same bloke with the story’s who is always there talking bull!! Would many of u be interested In using the gyms? Can only be good for drivers keep healthy longer not have to worry bout getting diabetes ect keep your license keep earning the money, and then when it’s retirement time still being mobile and enjoy this bit of life we all work so many hours for. The state I see some of the drivers come in looking like they do, I wonder how they enjoy life getting out of breath lowering the legs on the trailer, wodelling because there to fat to walk probably. I’m sure the women love it :s