There really are some bellends behind the wheel

Night-and-day:
No need to do 50 in the roadworks at Lymm as there’s no cameras in them

What a clever lad you are.

DickyNick:

the nodding donkey:

idrive:
Obviously OP, when you saw this potentially dangerous situation unfolding next to you, you eased off a few clicks for a few seconds to create some space and help everyone out, right?

That’s what a professional would do.
Unless he stuck to the 50 limit because ‘he was righteous’…

Professional would help a bully out would they? Ok.

It’s not about being righteous. It’s not hard to stick to a speed limit permanent or temporary, cameras or not whether you agree with it or not.

Can’t stick to a speed limit you shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a 44 tonner.

I see you now, upright, hands at 10 to 2, looking into the mirror and tutting … watching the car trying to slow down with a big truck pushing him, trying to get back behind you.

A true professional speeds where it’s safe, slows down where it’s needed, and is at ease…

Has anyone ever been done for exceeding the 50 average in roadworks in a truck ?

I done freedom of info a couple years back on the A9 av speed area, and I asked how many HGVs had been caught over a 6 month period with the average speed cameras,and the answer was NONE…

Be warned though, this was a few years back and goal posts may have since been moved. Also the reply did stress that the figure only concerned the av speed cameras and did not include these caught by active patrols, camera vans etc.

DickyNick:

the nodding donkey:

idrive:
Obviously OP, when you saw this potentially dangerous situation unfolding next to you, you eased off a few clicks for a few seconds to create some space and help everyone out, right?

It’s not about being righteous. It’s not hard to stick to a speed limit permanent or temporary, cameras or not whether you agree with it or not.

Nope, a professional would ease off and diffuse the situation.
This would show your car driver that “we” are not all like the bellend up his backside.
This would also earn you some karma points and a nice warm glow.
A righteous type might keep his speed up, adding to the car drivers woes, and then be incredulous about it on the internet.
Bet you still flashed the truck in aswell

Spot on idrive.
The highway code states that when being overtaken you should maintain a constant speed or slow down to allow the overtaking vehicle to get back in. Too many on here are professional in name only

no1dieselman:
Spot on idrive.
The highway code states that when being overtaken you should maintain a constant speed or slow down to allow the overtaking vehicle to get back in. Too many on here are professional in name only

The Highway Code also states you should be able to plan and complete your overtake safely and within the speed limit and be able to safely get back in. I think what your referring to applies more to single carriageway over takes. No need to keep on reducing your speed on a 3 lane motorway to allow others to complete a poorly planned overtake.

idrive:

DickyNick:

the nodding donkey:

idrive:

Nope, a professional would ease off and diffuse the situation.
This would show your car driver that “we” are not all like the bellend up his backside.
This would also earn you some karma points and a nice warm glow.
A righteous type might keep his speed up, adding to the car drivers woes, and then be incredulous about it on the internet.
Bet you still flashed the truck in aswell

Oh I’m sorry, I’ve got this all wrong. I was in lane one doing the speed limit for a section of road. A car was overtaking me, a bellend in an artic was a bully, and this is now me in the wrong. I’m so sorry I’m mistaken.

No I didn’t flash him in either. Didn’t deserve to be acknowledged by me at all.

elsa Lad:
Don’t know if its me just getting old but it now seems the norm to bully or tailgate through motorway road works. I am doing a lot of work going up and down the M6 & it scares the hell out of me watching what other drivers get up to. Lorries driving 3-4 foot behind lorry in front, totally blind, others forcing a gap by swinging about which makes car drivers hit there brakes and the list goes on & on.

People on here go on about how we are very skilled an professional drivers but sorry I have to disagree. Trucks are easy to drive now, automatic gearboxes, loads of power, powerful brakes yes they near enough drive thereselfs. Go back 20 years or more yes there was a skill, we had under powered lorries which you had to plan ahead or you were buggered when you came to a hill. double declutching the gearbox. then the brakes, you think twice about tailgating how bad some were. We are fast becomes a bunch of steering wheel attendance which is controlled by gps or micolise systems and we end up like brainless morans before long. Think some are there now!

Yeah it’s the norm because drivers like idrive will happily help the bullies out by backing off on the speed and letting the bullies achieve what they are trying to do, thus making them think they can get away with being bullies.

Being professional and backing off to help someone out is fine and what I do every day, backing off to help a bully out…no chance. Idrive seems to think we should though.

Listen buddy, I’m not for one minute condoning the driving of the truck, the car or anyone else.
The fact is though, it is up to you as a safe and considerate driver to see the bigger picture and drive defensively in a situation like that.
We all know there are too many dangerous idiots out there. If you find yourself caught up in something like that, you need to put aside any feelings of pride or injustice and just back off and let them go.
It’s not our job to judge or dish out punishment, but to get home safely and try and make sure everyone else does too.
In that particular instance, the car is being bullied and thinks he has nowhere to go. Backing off a touch and letting the car pull in front of you is not helping the bully, it’s just being the better person and generally a cool guy. The safest option for all.
Leave Mr Topliner to get on with his angry and stressed life, safe in the knowledge that he will probably die before his time, unhappy and alone.
You on the other hand may well live on to cash in your karma chips for a caravan by the sea or some such.
Don’t get angry about these things friend, it just makes your day longer and harder.
No disrespect intended fella, have a safe day out there…

I don’t think that backing off a couple of klicks to help the car driver out is really helping the ■■■■ out all that much. The ■■■■ driving the truck won’t notice if you hang the car out or back off, so I’d always choose to create a bit more space.

I was driving through roadworks on Weds and twice had to blow the horn at a car driver who was drifting under the side of my trailer because he was texting! He got so angry, completely lost it, started filming me on his phone etc etc.

These people all have one thing in common and it’s an inability to slow down and relax, so when he started getting uppity I just slowed down a little and let him carry on his merry way.

You’ll never ever “teach a lesson” to another driver through your actions. You’ll only ever teach another driver if they want to learn and you’re training them.

From the OP

I’m in lane 1 of the M6 last night at Lymme where it’s 50mph. I’m doing 50, a car is in lane 2 about half way down my trailer also doing 50 or 51 with other cars in front of that one,

The car is half way down the side of the trailer!
That would be some slow down to let him get in in front of him. :unamused:
The car had others in front of him !
So is Mr Bully man going to keep going, forcing everybody to move over, till he gets a clear run ? Is everybody in lane 1 going to have to slow down to let the car drivers in ?

I’m with the OP and don’t think he was in any way in the wrong.

Fair enough, I could be wrong, I often am.
For me in general if anything dodgy is going on around me, I back off to get myself out of harm’s way and make space for others.
All the best

idrive:
Fair enough, I could be wrong, I often am.
For me in general if anything dodgy is going on around me, I back off to get myself out of harm’s way and make space for others.
All the best

Maybe reading the post properly and maybe reading it again to get the full facts would help, to get all the relevant information.
Just saying.

DickyNick:

idrive:

Why would I do that?! That would be just helping the bully behind the wheel of the HGV out and giving him what he wanted. The car actually slowed down and went behind me.

Seems like a sensible conclusion if the car wasn’t going to complete the overtake in a reasonable period of time.

pierrot 14:
From the OP

I’m in lane 1 of the M6 last night at Lymme where it’s 50mph. I’m doing 50, a car is in lane 2 about half way down my trailer also doing 50 or 51 with other cars in front of that one,

So is Mr Bully man going to keep going, forcing everybody to move over, till he gets a clear run ? Is everybody in lane 1 going to have to slow down to let the car drivers in ?

Exactly. It was an extra long double decker as well.

idrive:
Listen buddy, I’m not for one minute condoning the driving of the truck, the car or anyone else.
The fact is though, it is up to you as a safe and considerate driver to see the bigger picture and drive defensively in a situation like that.
We all know there are too many dangerous idiots out there. If you find yourself caught up in something like that, you need to put aside any feelings of pride or injustice and just back off and let them go.
It’s not our job to judge or dish out punishment, but to get home safely and try and make sure everyone else does too.
In that particular instance, the car is being bullied and thinks he has nowhere to go. Backing off a touch and letting the car pull in front of you is not helping the bully, it’s just being the better person and generally a cool guy. The safest option for all.
Leave Mr Topliner to get on with his angry and stressed life, safe in the knowledge that he will probably die before his time, unhappy and alone.
You on the other hand may well live on to cash in your karma chips for a caravan by the sea or some such.
Don’t get angry about these things friend, it just makes your day longer and harder.
No disrespect intended fella, have a safe day out there…

Fair enough pal. It’s hard to comment without seeing the exact situation at the time frame in which it all happened in.

DickyNick:

pierrot 14:
From the OP

Exactly. It was an extra long double decker as well.

how long is an extra long dd then■■?

At the end of the day it got nothing to do with you so crack on, nothing to see here

malcolmgbell:
At the end of the day it got nothing to do with you so crack on, nothing to see here

You’re quite an obnoxious person really, Mr. Bell, the title of the post should be dedicated to you !

Seeing as DickyNick is actually the OP, I would say it has everything to do with him. :unamused:

And for your information an extra long DD has the last axle, which is a steerer, further back, giving room for another 4 pallets per deck !

There you go, you’ve learnt something new. HTH :wink: :wink:

pierrot 14:

malcolmgbell:

You’re quite an obnoxious person really, Mr. Bell, the title of the post should be dedicated to you !

Seeing as DickyNick is actually the OP, I would say it has everything to do with him. :unamused:

And for your information an extra long DD has the last axle, which is a steerer, further back, giving room for another 4 pallets per deck !
There you go, you’ve learnt something new. HTH :wink: :wink:

Thank you for the complement, do you need a special license for that extra long dd :unamused: