Higher minimum speed limit on the motorway? Any thoughts?

Just thought id post up a pet hate on the motorway of mine.
Cars travelling between 40 and 50mph. What a pain . We (hgv) get blamed for holding up lanes on the motorway but some of these car drivers are unreal. Cars that are capable of stupid amounts of speed travelling at 45mph. And when you try to pass they hold you out in the middle lane or even speed up as they seem scared to let a artic go past. About time they were banned of the motorway if they cannot travel at a suitable speed. 40mph is just to low for my liking lol !

Just thought id mention it as i encounterd such a driver the other night which really peed me of .

I dont mind them as long as they stay at that speed.

Its worse when you go to over take Mr Micra or Mr BMW On the phone doing 45mph then when you go to overtake them they then floor it leaving you in the middle lane.

Well there is a min speed on a motor way i think it’s set at 33mph
As for holding you out in the 2nd lane I normaly fing the left hand indicator a good way of saying

OI ■■■■ BRAIN I’M GONNA COME OVER SO P OFF OR HOLD BACK

Just gotta keep your cool mats and to be fair there’s some trucks that will do the same you wanna see the night parcle boys on the M5 at night they WONT give an inch

cft:
Cars travelling between 40 and 50mph. What a pain . We (hgv) get blamed for holding up lanes on the motorway but some of these car drivers are unreal. Cars that are capable of stupid amounts of speed travelling at 45mph. And when you try to pass they hold you out in the middle lane or even speed up as they seem scared to let a artic go past. About time they were banned of the motorway if they cannot travel at a suitable speed. 40mph is just to low for my liking lol !

Just thought id mention it as i encounterd such a driver the other night which really peed me of .

slightly off topic but is it illegal for 3 trucks to occupy 3 of say 4 lanes on a motorway? O.k i’ll explain.

Say you go to over take a lorry using lane 2, and their is only a small difference in speed - you get up to the cab of said lorry and you both catch up with another slower moving lorry, truck in lane 1 indicates to come out, but refuses to slow down and go behind me.

Do i go into lane 3 or do i break and let him in lossing what i have just gained?? - on one occasion i kept in lane 2 to as was nearly past him and he flicked the “v’s” and honked his air horn in anger.

what are you meant to do?

pecjam23:
slightly off topic but is it illegal for 3 trucks to occupy 3 of say 4 lanes on a motorway?

LGVs may not use the outer lane of a motorway that has 3 or more lanes.

You can legally use lane 5 of a 6 lane motorway if you like :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Another myth - some LGVs think that you cannot use the 3rd lane of a 3 lane dual carriageway - but you legally can :smiley: - the outer lane restriction is only for motorways.

ROG:

pecjam23:
slightly off topic but is it illegal for 3 trucks to occupy 3 of say 4 lanes on a motorway?

LGVs may not use the outer lane of a motorway that has 3 or more lanes.

You can legally use lane 5 of a 6 lane motorway if you like :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Another myth - some LGVs think that you cannot use the 3rd lane of a 3 lane dual carriageway - but you legally can :smiley: - the outer lane restriction is only for motorways.

you learn something new everyday

As far as i am aware its illegal to be in the outside lane of a motorway with more than two lanes.

When its four lanes, the fourth lane is the outside lane not the third so i assume its legal to be in lane 3.

Kenny1975:
As far as i am aware its illegal to be in the outside lane of a motorway with more than two lanes.

When its four lanes, the fourth lane is the outside lane not the third so i assume its legal to be in lane 3.

No need to assume - you are correct :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Can anyone confirm that this minimum motorway speed limit is another myth? AFAIK there’s no such thing.

ROG:

Kenny1975:

No need to assume - you are correct :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thanks ROG/KENNY will remember that next time - just did’nt want mr plod to pull me over.

Cheers

James

mrpj:
Can anyone confirm that this minimum motorway speed limit is another myth? AFAIK there’s no such thing.

+1 it’s a myth. There isn’t one.

50 should be the limit for slowness (is that a word, slowness), anyway, 50mph is not bad if the motorway isn’t busy, unlike the highways guys this morning on the M60 at Cheadle, 35mph, ballsed everyone up (ballsed, that can’t be a word)

yes there should be a min speed limit for cars i think maybe sixty,

I think you will find there is a minimum speed limit and I believe it’s30.

Perhaps the question of why the Hato chaps were doing 35 on theMway. Ask the highwayman thread

i think the truck limit should be raised from 40mph on single lane a roads
to 50mph!

That has a very similar effect :unamused:

Joiner:
50 should be the limit for slowness (is that a word, slowness), anyway, 50mph is not bad if the motorway isn’t busy, unlike the highways guys this morning on the M60 at Cheadle, 35mph, ballsed everyone up (ballsed, that can’t be a word)

would this be the same association that had a right old queue behind it yeterday afternoon going the m25 surrey? i could not belive it after 15 mins,all it was a bloody highway thingy doing about 48,just sat there…ha may have been a recruit from eastern europe on his first day for all i know,but come on what’s the “slowness all about”…dangerous!!

I would hazard a guess that Hato officers have been instructed to drive in an eco friendly way thus saving on fuel bills, which would account for them driving at 50 or so on the Mway network.

Also I suspect they will be able to pick up goings on at the side of the carriageway at a slower pace.

This assumption may be a load of codswallop though.

cft:

Dont just happen on motorways either. I was driving on the a370 towards merthyre tydfil. Came up behind this car doing about 30mph then 40mph then back down to 30mph so i pulled out to overtake. When i went past he was doing his paperwork on the steering wheel :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .
I gave him a sharp blast on the air horn which must of frightened him as he speeded up. Only prob was he matched my speed & i was stuck out in the overtaking lane :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: untill i indicated & finally he got the message.

The MINIMUM legal speed on a UK Motorway is 50mph unless it is subject to a Variable Speed control [M25 SW section], roadworks control or just plain normal traffic flow

delboytwo:
The MINIMUM legal speed on a UK Motorway is 50mph unless it is subject to a Variable Speed control [M25 SW section], roadworks control or just plain normal traffic flow

As far as I can find out there is no minimum speed limit in force on the UK motorway network, I remember there used to be a 30 mph limit but that is no longer in force AFAIK, could you show us where you got this info from?
what about vehicles that are not capable of doing 50 mph like some military vehicles, old cars or trucks etc, are they not allowed on the motorways?