lane hoggers

i have noticed a lot recently that there is getting more and more car drivers plodding along in the middle lanes of motorways doing 50mph and on many an occasion i have had to undertake them does anybody else have to do this at all■■?

Yes i normally do the same thing. The way i see it we have 2 choices, sit at 50 & hope they will move to lane 1…fat chance. Or undertake & carry on on our merry way. Not our fault hgvs are not allowed in lane 3

I have seen it happen :wink:

I’ve also noticed a lot more cars going along in lane 1 at 50mph :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

afraid so.
although, technically, i think undertaking is illegal?

may have something to do with the school holidays, lots of cars on the dual carriageways and motorway network, that are not used too these type of roads, and how they work.

durrantlee:
i have noticed a lot recently that there is getting more and more car drivers plodding along in the middle lanes of motorways doing 50mph and on many an occasion i have had to undertake them does anybody else have to do this at all■■?

Lots of car drivers have always hogged the middle lane, but usually at about 65mph, perhaps they are now driving “economically”.

Denis F:
I have seen it happen :wink:

I’ve also noticed a lot more cars going along in lane 1 at 50mph :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Saving fuel perhaps? You can save quite a bit by driving at around 50/ 56mph.

That I suppose is why your limited to 56 mph

There is a name for these 50 mph drivers I saw it in a paper the other day!
And now I cant think what it is■■?
Basically they are trying to get the best MPG, one guy went to the extreme of coasting as much as possible! I thought that does not really achieve anything cos once you slow you gotta rev up a fair bit to get back to speed?

Clarky:

I can

[zb]'s

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Had one in friday ,am plodding along at 50mph on the M8,and theres this idiot doing 40mph ish in the middle , and to give us all a bigger laugh she/he went out to the 3 rd lane !!! :question: :question: :question:

Clarky:
Basically they are trying to get the best MPG, one guy went to the extreme of coasting as much as possible! I thought that does not really achieve anything cos once you slow you gotta rev up a fair bit to get back to speed?

wasnt it hypermilers or something?
either way they are a pain, its good we only have 2 lnaed motorways up here ins cotland, well the majority.

bet its the price of juice,not just lane hoggers but loads of cars in the first lane who dont move out like wagons to let sliproad traffic in,just plodding on :unamused:

I had a cracker in the car the other week on a dual carriageway…

was in a 50mph average camera zone, but guy in front doing more like 45, so pulled out & started passing him.

he then appeared to be, reason unknown, trying to keep up with me (1.3l hyundai accent v audi tdi - won’t call it racing :laughing: ), at which point i let him undertake me & pulled back over behind him, not worth getting the points

Once we got back to national limit, & out of camera stretch he then continues at only 50 so I pull over ready to pass him …

only he pulled over in front of me & proceeded to sit in front of me doing a steady 50…

I did flash him, getting a bit more p’d off than bemused by this stage, and he just ignored me.

Finally undertook him after about a mile of this, at which point he took great offence and started flashing his lights and indicating that he though i was in the merchant banking trade…

What was all that about??!

the drivers want a slap and especially the ones that come up the slip roads at 40 mph and look at you gone out because you wont move over. Sorry but their cars are allowed to do 70mph +, and when you do move for them they decide to sit up side off you and keep you out in the middle or outside if two lane. All i can say is get rid em off the roads.

Talulah:
I had a cracker in the car the other week on a dual carriageway…

was in a 50mph average camera zone, but guy in front doing more like 45, so pulled out & started passing him.

he then appeared to be, reason unknown, trying to keep up with me (1.3l hyundai accent v audi tdi - won’t call it racing :laughing: ), at which point i let him undertake me & pulled back over behind him, not worth getting the points

Once we got back to national limit, & out of camera stretch he then continues at only 50 so I pull over ready to pass him …

only he pulled over in front of me & proceeded to sit in front of me doing a steady 50…

I did flash him, getting a bit more p’d off than bemused by this stage, and he just ignored me.

Finally undertook him after about a mile of this, at which point he took great offence and started flashing his lights and indicating that he though i was in the merchant banking trade…

What was all that about??!

It’s happened to me twice recently (and I don’t do that many miles) I go to pass a car, he speeds up, only for it to slow down again when I pull back in. How close to the car do you get before it becomes intimidating?

Clarky:
?

On the Honest John site they call them “mimsers” which is a term I think which was coined by Clarkson many years ago.

It seems to fit. :wink:

i had that with a [zb] in a ■■■■■■ pickup near kinross, i refused to move over, i was doing 56 and i had rows of cars passing me so i couldnt,

anyway driver proceeds to wave his arms about and giving the fingers etc cause i wont move or slow down, but he doesnt proceed to go much faster than me and just pulls out infront of me litteraly missing my front end

then throws a lit ■■■ at my windscreen.

he did get the hefty singals and lights from me though.dont think he would last much from being hit by a loaded 18 tonner.

it isnt undertaking when you pass on the inside like that. They are causing an obstruction and you are getting past it. If they dont move over i pass on the inside. With 2 lanes what else can you do? :confused:

Undertaking . Be careful when you chose to do it, as for joining the driver has to giveway to traffic on the major road. Most car drivers seem unaware that the whole acceleration lane can be used, and dive on to soon, causing major disruption to the flow. But there again when was the last time drivers read the highway code and updated their limited driving skills? :unamused:

Ask the ds" safe driving for 45 /60 minutes" agency

Talulah:

So you drive a Hyundai Accent, oh dear :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

TC

Yes there’s recently been a huge increase in the number of cars sitting at 50-55mph in the inside lane (and all the other lanes), however the problem is most either don’t have cruise control or don’t know how to use it. So every single bloody time you go to overtake them they speed up, then pull back in and they slow down again, should all be lined up and shot IMO.