Staveley Lime Products / John Biesty Transport / Peakstone

BonkeyDollocks:

RDT still lives!

RDT405R
Ex. showmans vehicle - this was in service with Anderton and Rowlands until 2003. It carried the No.1 Dodgems.

More info. here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carl.barlow/erf.html

Few pics of the Staveley quarry at Dove Holes taken in the mid 70s.

Sorry for the crease, it was emailed to me like this. The yard of Staveley Lime in the mid 70s. Plus a few others from the 80s.

Dove Holes quarry in 1981 showing a John Biesty Routeman.

John Biesty Albion Super Clydesdale HNB768E fleet No 167

Bonkey it looks like they may have changed the body on that routeman because the original bodys were slopeing, cant really tell from that photo though.

I’m certain it was an L reg with Mackworth insulated body identical the ones the S83s had. It’s possible it could’ve had a sloping body when new but I always thought the sloping body thing was a mid to late 60s fad? The Hillhead Hughes Fodens all had them.

In the interest of keeping the pics all together and I’m sure Dean B and Paul Gee won’t mind, I’ll repost the excellent pics that Paul took 40 years ago. I also add the ERF artic that Limey’s dad drove when it was in Buxton’s carnival of 1979. By this time it had been repainted in Peakstone livery.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BonkeyDollocks:
I’m certain it was an L reg with Mackworth insulated body identical the ones the S83s had. It’s possible it could’ve had a sloping body when new but I always thought the sloping body thing was a mid to late 60s fad? The Hillhead Hughes Fodens all had them.

Hi BD It would more than likely have been L reg Biesty had the bodies built at Gilbraith Commercials Accrington the first ones they had made were on G reg Reivers and a couple of H reg comets then came the Scammells J,K,L reg.

The following pics are courtesy of ex Staveley driver Philip Boote that drove for the firm between '73-81. He took some great pics of the fleet of Biesty so I hope the usual suspects enjoy seeing them as much as I did.

Phil’s lorry when tarmaccing his drive

Bonkey Cracking photos of some of the Staveley owned Biesty fleet I remember bringing one of the AECs down to the depot at Manchester brand new when they 1st took us over in 73.Thanks for them mate.

A couple here The early days

John Biesty Early days.jpg

Taken around 1968 Albion Reiver

Glad you like 'em Stanny. They were kindly passed to me and I was allowed to post them by an ex Staveley driver that worked for the firm through the seventies.

The photos are amazing. I had heard of the AECs but never seen a pic so it was an incredible moment when I saw the pics. :laughing:

In the line up near the old garages you can make out one of the Routeman that Biesty owned. Without wanting to sound ungrateful, it’s a shame the line up pic wasn’t from the front but it’s still awesome. :sunglasses:

BonkeyDollocks:
Sorry for the crease, it was emailed to me like this. The yard of Staveley Lime in the mid 70s. Plus a few others from the 80s.

Volvo N10 in the background EAB114S loading lime for Sturge chemicals

Some good stuff there indeed. I believe the 1979 Carnival photograph also shows a four wheel flat Seddon-Atkinson 200 Series operated by SLP behind NFA. It was driven by Mick Grinter, NFA at that time was driven by either Dave Blood or Graham Dean, I should know because I am sat in the passenger seat but have to shamefully admit I can’t recall who was driving.

This one is from an ERF B series promotional booklet.

Overlooking the Staveley owned Hindlow quarry one sunday during the summer of 1973. One or two dark cabbed motors can be made out so these would’ve been Biesty vehicles based at Hindlow I guess.

N.M.P, Found on internet Bonkey, not sure if you have posted it before as a lot of your pics are via fhartobucket and have vanished,

Nice one Pete. It’s been on before but good to see again.

Here’s one I found online while digging something else out. Bromley Cross in 1975, I wonder if the Limester will have any idea who the driver is.

The drop sided AEC with a load of bags on looks like it’s Mick Grinters vehicle being driven by Tony Guess. The earlier AEC with Graham Bennett looking like Rick Wakeman stood at the side of it was one of the first Biesty vehicles bought by SLP. New from Kays at Dove Holes.