Scottish, Cumbrian & North East Timber Thread

oiltreader:
Another one more local, at Mossy Bottom near Dent Head railway viaduct, thanks to Roger Templeman.
Oily

My father delivered the boundary fencing materials for that plantation when it was being set up .

Thanks for the memory . :smiley:

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

These are from Ontario, Canada and thanks to Jeremy Rempel, who with his brother and dad run logging wagons, with a preference for Peterbilt.
Oily

jr-transport Tamarack 60 ton 6960632675_d336e308c6_b.jpg jr.jpg

Some old John Miller

oiltreader:
These are from Ontario, Canada and thanks to Jeremy Rempel, who with his brother and dad run logging wagons, with a preference for Peterbilt.
Oily

Jeez,loading cross deck,that was banned here years ago!

Hi All
We cross loaded for years & never lost any I don’t know if anybody did, don’t really know what all the fuss was about

There was a couple in a car killed on the A7 near Langholm when one shed the load on a bend and I think that bought an end to it in the UK. Some of the timber boys will remember better than me. Eddie,

When the mechanical method of loading became the norm , less emphasis was placed on cross-packing ( alternating diameters) when loading . The old fashioned hand-balling timber was slow , but it built the load.
Speed of mechanical loading then partly sacrificed the safety of the load to be carried.
With more gaps resulting , this created instability movement during transit , causing the logs to slide and protrude sideways.
The results of this are (too) sadly known.

Our family never transported timber over long distances , the Lake District plantations was our source of collection to deliver to the
soon-to-be-planted areas of Wensleydale , North Yorkshire. This road ( A684) has many corners which need care in case of oncoming traffic.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

erfguy:
There was a couple in a car killed on the A7 near Langholm when one shed the load on a bend and I think that bought an end to it in the UK. Some of the timber boys will remember better than me. Eddie,

Hi Eddie , was one of Elliot Hendersons lads that has the accident and killed an elderly couple as far as I can remember.

The forestry commission had been talking about banning cross loading for a while and this unfortunate incident brought it forward.

I personally look at comments on the good old days of cross loading and wonder if it was the same loads I carried ?
I hated cross loaded timber with a passion !

We ran a large amount of 2m chipwood to the mill at cowie , now Norboard but at that time Caberboard and then Nexfor.

2.2 m went to the paper mill at Workington and for a while we ran 2.2m to Shotton paper mill.
Shotton till that point had been 3m pulp in 3 bolsters ( 38 ton so 24 ton on 40 footers).

I can vaguely remember loadin 2.5m logs across the trailer but cant remember where we went with them ?.

It was a total pain in the backside to load.
To get the front on you either had to put the front of the unit well into the ditch and get alongside the loader.
The timber cranes we used at that time had only single extensions and had not got a great reach !

This ment you could not get enough of a load on the front if loading straight over the cab , so it was in the ditch or jack knife the unit right
across the road.
Once the front was on and “Chapped” in on both sides you had to turn , without upsetting the load and get the back put on.

Then it was like climbing Mt Everest to get your belts on ! 4 belts on top , hooked together to make 2 long belts , running front to back.
Without falling off you scrambled around and got them sorted and then back down , 4 ratchets to tighten them ,then stand back and look at the load.

You then looked for the hollows and strapped across the load , pulling the long belts down on the logs…looked the part but did no earthly use !

At the very end( before it was banned) we were made to tie the load then net it (brick nets ) trying to get the nets off at the mill was a total pain in the ■■■■ !.

So I for one was never so glad to see something stopped.
We now run 5 bolster trailers for 1.9 ,2m and 2.2 pulp.

my renault:
Some old John Miller

Excellent photos my Renault

Many thanks

Kindest regards
CG

oiltreader:
Oily

They are super Oily!

see they still do side loading which was band from here a lot of years ago now

Kindest regards
CG

Thanks for the reply Dingo and there is more to the timber game than meets the eye. I aye mind one o Millicans this would be early 70s his back pins had broke on the hill going up from the Lancaster jnc southbound well he had lost about 2 thirds o the load and only the fast lane was partially open at that time Millican did a lot cross loaded to Ellesmere Port I think it was. Eddie.

Hi CG
Some more from Ontario thanks to James Rempel. The third pic, sitting on an incline loading isn’t a problem as this video shows
youtube.com/watch?v=oPUUpStYaqc

Oily

jr-transport getting loaded 6696738277_16b1b58014_b.jpg jr.jpg

j-r transport Kenworth T800 new 2004 7535785718_a34f9e3b7a_b.jpg jr.jpg

Bringing these two pics back again 'cos they go with this video youtube.com/watch?v=21L7xs2EisQ they are the start and end of the clip.
Oily

jr-transport%205628938608_b644206328_b_jpg%20jr.jpg

jr-transport%205628355007_4d78bca39a_b_jpg%20jr.jpg

oiltreader:
Hi CG
Some more from Ontario thanks to James Rempel. The third pic, sitting on an incline loading isn’t a problem as this video shows
youtube.com/watch?v=oPUUpStYaqc

Oily

oiltreader:
Bringing these two pics back again 'cos they go with this video youtube.com/watch?v=21L7xs2EisQ they are the start and end of the clip.
Oily

Excellent photos Oily

Many thanks marra

Kindest regards
CG

Hi CG
The latest edition of Truck and Driver features a young owner driver from Hexham running a Scania 143 photographed in Kielder similar to the article they ran on Scotties about ten years ago, I have copied two photo’s from that article and posted them here. regards prattman.

Scan0002.jpg

Scan0001.jpg

prattman:
Hi CG
The latest edition of Truck and Driver features a young owner driver from Hexham running a Scania 143 photographed in Kielder similar to the article they ran on Scotties about ten years ago, I have copied two photo’s from that article and posted them here. regards prattman.

excellent photos prattman

I have just bought the new Truck and Driver and the articles are excellent!!

I also have a copy of that magazine too marra and it was also an excellent article. Very interesting about Scott’s and there business

Many thanks marra

Kindest regards
CG

New lorry for John miller!

Is that yours tartan?

No not mine!

Ah ok. Saw it in woods yesterday. Tidy yoke.