Stories (and Pictures) of Round Timber Haulage

This thread is dedicated to the late Maurice Sanders who covered the topic of Round Timber Haulage so comprehensively in several of his books, and also to all the brave and tough folk who worked in the industry risking life and limb to earn a crust or two. To get the log rolling :slight_smile: - here’s the artwork from Maurice’s 1984 book :-

Here’s the piccy which has inspired me to open a thread on the topic- I am once again indebted to Bubbs who has recently included the following pic in his ever interesting Scrapbook Memories thread, a big thanks again Marc.

Quite a noble AEC!!! - Pulford Estates is part of the Duke of Westminsters empire, I wonder if the old Duke ever got behind the wheel? :smiley:

Over to you now folks, what stories and piccies would you like to share with us on the subject?

i have all the timber haulage books,i also have muck shifting for king george
all are a great read
here is a little snipet from muck shifting for king george

cheers graham

d4c24a:
i have all the timber haulage books,i also have muck shifting for king george
all are a great read
here is a little snipet from muck shifting for king george

cheers graham

Hi Graham, thanks for your posting to this thread, I’ve heard of ‘Muck Shifting for King George’ and have been on the lookout for it for ages - do you know where I can obtain a copy, or could you tell me the ISBN ref for it?

Cheers - Rob.

Not the best pic ever, got a lot of timber haulage lorry pics, but most are empty.

Does anyone recall seeing an AEC Matador and a Bedford S or maybe an R type as timber tractors in a small logging yard just to the side of the northbound side of the M6 south of Junction 15 - Stoke South? They were there for a good few years, I don’t recall seeing them last time I passed by. I was fascinated by the place but never managed to find out anything about it. Any info would be interesting.

Cheers - R.

Here’s one I took at M6 Forton Services in 1998:-

G’day.
Good idea for a thread mate,I’ve never read the books,they’re on the wish list. There are heaps of logging trucks in NZ as forestry is a large part of the economy.
I took these last month carting logs on to Wellington wharf for export.

Cheers Jamie

rapidgem:
Does anyone recall seeing an AEC Matador and a Bedford S or maybe an R type as timber tractors in a small logging yard just to the side of the northbound side of the M6 south of Junction 15 - Stoke South? They were there for a good few years, I don’t recall seeing them last time I passed by. I was fascinated by the place but never managed to find out anything about it. Any info would be interesting.

Cheers - R.

I know the place you mean – looks deserted now…

Always meant to stop and look …

This

Can’t see the trailer properly, this Scania of Richard Marstons was loaded with timber,pictured in may this year.

Tipping Oversized logs at Petersmuir Sawmill

Loading in a forest near Dalmally

Coming into a forest near Glendaruel

Loading in a forest near Dalavich

Hi All,
A few pics of my old timber trucks,happy days out in the forest !
Regards MaggieD

G’day
I spotted these two today,they sure are a long way from Cheshire.

Cheers Jamie