timbeeeeer

I’m interested in transporting timber. Are there any companies in the north east I can check to see if they need drivers?

Timber industry is going like the steel industry so I doubt it

:frowning:

Contact any sawmill. They usually ‘own’ the forests.

AJ Scots, Wooperton is the only one I know of up this way. They supply us with wood for our woodburner log supply business.

After that, I think they’re mainly ‘owner / driver’ set ups.

Laup:
I’m interested in transporting timber.

Most lorry drivers transport a fair bit of timber. Keep at it. Visit Greggs at least once a day. You’ll get there eventually.

ah well looks like I’m outa look then.
The only bit of timber I carry? Well, what can I say except they don’t call me tripod because I’m into photography.

It can be a difficult one to get onto up here (I’m a lot further north) often quite small companies / owner drivers, every one seems to be related and can be difficult to push your nose in. Lad I know has a couple of trucks and I was covering holidays sickness etc for them. Great work, absolutely loved it, just loved getting into the forests and all that fresh air, fantastic smells. great place to be. Great mixture of roads and driving from forestry roads and single tracks to the trunk roads. A lot of them still use CB and that can be a right laugh. The self loading is great fun but if your slow at it like me you can get some abuse if others are waiting, and if it is an open ■■■■■■■■■■■ like most of them are you can suffer when the weather is bad, but not as much as you will suffer in late summer when the midgies are out. LOL. If I ever go back to driving it will be this.

Taylormade at Durham?

RH Scott are probably the obvious one, located north of Hexham towards Kielder.

happysack:
Taylormade at Durham?

Are they still on the go ?,i worked for them at Carville about Forty years ago in the yard.

Yes they are still there.

thank you for your input all. I will shop around in the week and see what the score is.

bobbya:

happysack:
Taylormade at Durham?

Are they still on the go ?,i worked for them at Carville about Forty years ago in the yard.

Now at Sherburn Hill, where the pit was

TimberToad:

Is this an English outlook ?

I am of the understanding that Scotland is currently producing 10.5million cubic meters per year and expected to rise year by year, peaking around 2028-2032 at 14million cubic meters

If anyone remembers the Terry Wogan getting rich on the destruction of the flow country saga from 20+ years ago … (this was when very generous tax incentives were given to the vulgar London super rich to plant pine forests in Scotland) … well this is all starting to mature now, it will come to an end in the mid 30s as the tax loophole was eventually plugged by Lawson in the mid 90s.

So if I was a young man, this is certainly a trough I would be thinking of sticking my nose in, great work, Dumfries + Galloway and Highland regions are where it at and as a bonus there is no better places to live.

:smiley:

Laup:
The only bit of timber I carry? Well, what can I say except they don’t call me tripod because I’m into photography.

But when your missus asks you to drop your pants & show her some wood, I doubt she was expecting a toothpick … :laughing:

Bluey Circles:

TimberToad:

I am of the understanding that Scotland is currently producing 10.5million cubic meters per year and expected to rise year by year, peaking around 2028-2032 at 14million cubic meters

If anyone remembers the Terry Wogan getting rich on the destruction of the flow country saga from 20+ years ago … (this was when very generous tax incentives were given to the vulgar London super rich to plant pine forests in Scotland) … well this is all starting to mature now, it will come to an end in the mid 30s as the tax loophole was eventually plugged by Lawson in the mid 90s.

So if I was a young man, this is certainly a trough I would be thinking of sticking my nose in, great work, Dumfries + Galloway and Highland regions are where it at and as a bonus there is no better places to live.

Naa this is the Scottish outlook, the term “suicidal” is getting mentioned a lot up here. Reason being that it is currently cheaper to import cut wood than it is to buy it here.

Don’t get me wrong though its a cracking job if you can get on it, different view every day, left to your own devices and very little [zb] telling you to do this, do that, wait there for 2 hours etc etc. Although you’ll be working 70 hours a week, no where to shower, very little places to stop for food, but at least you’ll be paid decent.

TimberToad:

Bluey Circles:

TimberToad:

Naa this is the Scottish outlook, the term “suicidal” is getting mentioned a lot up here. Reason being that it is currently cheaper to import cut wood than it is to buy it here.

Don’t get me wrong though its a cracking job if you can get on it, different view every day, left to your own devices and very little [zb] telling you to do this, do that, wait there for 2 hours etc etc. Although you’ll be working 70 hours a week, no where to shower, very little places to stop for food, but at least you’ll be paid decent.

+1,jobs on it’s arse at the moment,most of the mills are on strict daily quota’s or gone onto 4 day weeks, cheap imports and a lack of new housebuilding are killing the job apparently,everybody hoping it will pick up in the new year.

Too bloody true the round wood trade is on it’s arse at the mo, worked for a total of 5 days and did only THREE cargoes during October which don’t hardly pay the wages. Just had 13 days in Girvan harbour @ £150 per day harbour dues. £1.3 million was invested in the ship last year, be a long while repaying that if things continue as they are. The pound is too strong, simples !

Not so sure its down to cheap imports. It’s only this year it’s gone dramatically quiet plus if it was that expensive we wouldn’t be still exporting the stuff!