Scania 112 or 113 anyone?

The only Scania 112 I ever travelled in was this beauty…

This would tramp into Europe every week from Heathrow or Gatwick airport. Eventually meeting its unfortunate end down a ditch in Calais.

Those green lights on the wind deflector were off an airplane apparently. I remember it having sheepskin seat covers too. lovely motor.

This one belonged to a fella who lived across from me for a while, it used to pull scrap metal in tipper trailers…

This is purely my view, but I prefer the the look of the 112s and older 113s over the newer 113s. I dare say the newer ones were an improvement but the cab design lost something when Scania opted for the more flush panel look. That said the 124 is better but the design still doesn’t quite gel the way the early series did.

ramone:

Bewick:
This a shot of the very first 38tonner we put into service,new, in March/April '83,standing in the depot at Milnthorpe.

My first motor was A453 FFU a P cabbed 112 non intercooler unit,very steady, it had the rear lift axle which made it very easy to get in and out of places and a very slow range change which i think all Scanias suffered from.I thought it was a great lorry to drive and would definitely prefer it to the CF Daf i drive now .The 113s were a big improvement imho, i thought the new dashboard as mentioned by saviem was and still is the best out there.Did you have many problems with them Dennis?

Hiya “ramone”,I know some of the “blowhards” on the site will disagree with my claim,but we always had great service and reliability out of the many Scanias we ran on the Bewick fleet,giving my memory a “jog” I recall that we had the odd air leak out of the handbrake valve on the 112’s which wasn’t a serious problem but it was a test faliure so we had to replace as required.There was just one Scania that comes to mind,a “V” reg 81,and it was always having problems,we spent a fortune on parts,and one day I got that bloody mad when it had let us down again I said “park the ■■■■■■■ thing up at the bottom of the depot”,it then became a doner of many excellent parts for the other reliable 81’s which only needed occaisional repair,so over a number of years I suppose this rougue motor did redeem itself,it was just a bare chassis and cab when it finally to the big scrap yard in the sky !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

ramone:
My first motor was A453 FFU a P cabbed 112 non intercooler unit,very steady, it had the rear lift axle which made it very easy to get in and out of places and a very slow range change which i think all Scanias suffered from.I thought it was a great lorry to drive and would definitely prefer it to the CF Daf i drive now .The 113s were a big improvement imho, i thought the new dashboard as mentioned by saviem was and still is the best out there.Did you have many problems with them Dennis?

Hiya “ramone”,I know some of the “blowhards” on the site will disagree with my claim,but we always had great service and reliability out of the many Scanias we ran on the Bewick fleet,giving my memory a “jog” I recall that we had the odd air leak out of the handbrake valve on the 112’s which wasn’t a serious problem but it was a test faliure so we had to replace as required.There was just one Scania that comes to mind,a “V” reg 81,and it was always having problems,we spent a fortune on parts,and one day I got that bloody mad when it had let us down again I said “park the [zb] thing up at the bottom of the depot”,it then became a doner of many excellent parts for the other reliable 81’s which only needed occaisional repair,so over a number of years I suppose this rougue motor did redeem itself,it was just a bare chassis and cab when it finally to the big scrap yard in the sky !! Cheers Dennis.

Going by this and other comments, these had a few known issues but apart from that they seem to have been fairly well liked by both operators and drivers. If that’s right no wonder there were so many about.

2013 project

Cold Up North:
2013 project

CJA1:
First of my 112s, Very new early [Y]reg, but weather crap Cheers Chris PS. T/F run a Lot of these, in Depot"s all over the UK.

CJA1:

Cold Up North:
2013 project

CJA1:
First of my 112s, Very new early [Y]reg, but weather crap Cheers Chris PS. T/F run a Lot of these, in Depot"s all over the UK.

CJA:
another T/F Scania, [Gay Ray] somewhere in Europe, could italia/Yugo? [RIp] Ray. Cheers Chris.

100_2143.JPG

CJA1:

CJA1:

Cold Up North:
2013 project

CJA1:

CJA:
another T/F Scania, [Gay Ray] somewhere in Europe, could italia/Yugo? [RIp] Ray. Cheers Chris.

CJA1:
Just sitting around, waiting for another boat, during one of the many French Blockades in the early 80s Cheers Chris.

This is a shot of a what was a nice smooth R112 305 tractor,fresh out the paint shop and coupled to a new TASK tri-axle flat.It weighed in at 12ton unladen,fueled up.

[qote=CJA1] Yet another one, that much time away it became the other womam LOL Cheers Chris.

Tankfreight Work 057.JPG

I liked the 112 R cab, i had one for a year C163 TLC an ex Ryder truck rental unit, coming off of a M.A.N 322 on a K plate, i thought it was nice roomy and fast, but could bang your head on the cab ceiling after hitting a pothole in the road…
This was one a friend drove out of Calne…

Seen at Kington,Herefordshire.

Rhys Jones two Scania’s,seen at Knighton,Radnorshire.

This was the only Day cab 112 we ever ran,new in early '83 for double shifting from Milnthorpe,nights to Daventry and back, and days into Lancs/Cheshire and N. Wales and back to Milnthorpe ready for the night shift.There was two “cracking” drivers on the motor and it never missed “a beat” all the time we ran it,brilliant!It very,very seldom ran empty.Cheers Bewick.

Cold Up North:
2013 project0

That’ll keep you off the streets then :wink:

Bewick , that small day cabbed Scania, what made you buy a day cab then ? was it running at maximum weight on all its trips ?

JAKEY:
Bewick , that small day cabbed Scania, what made you buy a day cab then ? was it running at maximum weight on all its trips ?

IIRC it was a new chassis that I was offered at a keen price and we just happened to want a double shift motor at that time so I snapped it up !We also just ran it at 32ton as it came into service before 38ton came in.Cheers Bewick.