The Scania 142

Between the topics on the Scania 140/141’s and the 143’s we seem to have missed out on the truck which upped the power game with Volvo and introduced a new cab design which evolved into the 143 unless it’s somewhere else on this forum and I could’nt find it. Starting with a 385hp V8 it soon changed to the 420hp intercooled version and its renowned pulling power. I drove a D reg 1987 420 six legger on air ride with rear lift for Garrard International on abnormal loads together with a Broshuis tri axle stepframe machinery trailer with a tilt body (not any fun to strip down on your own) which weighed 19ton empty, it was a Dutch built left ■■■■■■ and the more weight you put on it the better it pulled. If I can find some pics I will post them but I’m sure there are plenty of 142 photos out there so dig them out and put them on.

I was sat in a 142 last thursday, great trucks that had an amazing sound :smiley:

Heres one to start then, Neil.

its a bad picture and ive posted it before but sadly its the only picture i have of the first motor i drove after passing my test …

p.s ignore the name plate on the front thats the name of the bloke i took it over from … :sunglasses:

it was pre-intercooler by the way …

A few 142’s I have run. By the way the first 142’s were 388bhp!

My one and only new Scania a 388bhp 142 4X2

First wagon I got when I started for Gallachers (Anfield Pain) in 1995 was B687 LDC a 4X2 420 but was supposedly fitted with a 450 out of a wrecked G reg anyway went well but what a hard ride had me back aching. Later moved on to a 113 twin steer wouldnt pull your hat off but was a much better ride. Havent any pics of the 142 but there is someone on here that might have.

in the words of Barbera Windsors Doctor, what a pair of beauties!

They don’t come much smarter!

scan0026.jpg

adr:

Hi ADR
Happy new year.Ooooooooo matron! I used to see mr. Peckham’s 142’s regularly in south Wales.i think? That they used to deliver pit props.as you are probably aware?the one on the left reg. jex lives on,I last saw it in the retro show last September.
Regards Andrew.

I drove this a few times down to London Airport to pick up my truck before shipping out on a Sunday, while Ivor the Driver, no pun, had a kip.
One of Ash’s pics.

RF003.jpg

pete 359:

adr:

Hi ADR
Happy new year.Ooooooooo matron! I used to see mr. Peckham’s 142’s regularly in south Wales.i think? That they used to deliver pit props.as you are probably aware?the one on the left reg. jex lives on,I last saw it in the retro show last September.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew
Happy New Year to you too! Wasn’t JEX one of Dave Miller’s old wagons?
Regards Chris

This was an early one,one of a pair of new one’s we had on Expo Freight,the only new trucks I think he bought.
I inherited this from the first driver,Chris Rasmusson(Rasputin),Danish geezer.
I had this for two years up until the time I jacked.The other one was driven by Gordon McMillan.
The ride was ■■■■■■■ awful,but it went like ■■■■ off a shovel!

There is very little mention, on the other threads, of the earlier (or later) Scanias having bad suspension. Was this just a case of progress catching up with them? I understand that rear air was available from 111/141 onwards- did this make a difference?

The problem with the ealy model that I had,was that the cab suspension was only at the rear of the cab so it used to nod.
Along with a suspension seat,(If you can call it that), that was pivoted in the centre so that tended to rock back and forth.
The result was a sore neck from the constant nodding.

bestbooties:
This was an early one,one of a pair of new one’s we had on Expo Freight,the only new trucks I think he bought.
I inherited this from the first driver,Chris Rasmusson(Rasputin),Danish geezer.
I had this for two years up until the time I jacked.The other one was driven by Gordon McMillan.
The ride was [zb] awful,but it went like [zb] off a shovel!

Hi that is very similar to the 143 I sold to Roly Long

Regards Pat

Thanks bb. Sounds pretty horrible. The last of the LBs had their cabs sprung at the rear- were these as bad as the 2 series, in this respect?

another problem i had with the 142 i drove was the dam steering wheel , it had a twisty knob thing that altered the height of it and for some reason the one i had didnt work proper , it would constantly come loose and id dissapear behind it . :blush:

I drove a 142 on an ‘A’ plate, it had been Danish origionally, some numpty had fitted a mid lift axle (probably Jimmy Connall who owned it) I have to say it was a back breaker I’d be in tears after transiting Yugo in it, it was so bad a ride the tank baffles eventually broke away creating filings which caused horrendous filter problems. This did however help me forget the back pains as my fingers where raw with blisters :open_mouth:

In fact not wanting to get flayed publicly by the Scania fans out there but they where a ■■■■ ride once you left The EU, I recall Sir Ralph Davis the pioneer of going far away by road :grimacing: not sending them to The CIS because they fell apart & Russanglia in the end seemed to be all Volvo too as I recall. Dunno wether Mr Garrard had them falling apart down there though…

The V8’s do sound well but that does’nt help a fella in the chiropractors clinch. They did look good too but I prefer a Volvo TBHWY…