The Mighty 142 - One for all the Scania Men!

"You can keep you Leyland Marathon and Seddon Atki too…
You ERF and Foden…
They havent got a clue…"

You wouldnt be saying that if youd driven one for any length of time!
Had to lift me out with a winch at the end of me shift :laughing:

greek
Drove many a 112 or 142 on A.C.H. and untill I got to drive a Magnum the most comfortable & non-tiring trucks I have driven ! Now a Volvo F88 or F89 or F12 would ■■■■■■■ me in less than a day !!

each to his own leggy had a 142 4x2 was a killer when i worked for Gallachers
Had a 88 for 5 yrs form 77 to 82 ok didn`t go as well but never no probs with comfort :laughing:

Went well, but they were a choppy ride (even 6x2) and the brakes were non-existent and the early models had bad cab rot. Always got a good kip in that bunk though, very comfy. The non-intercooled 388 was a tad more reliable than the 420, and not as juicy, but i think Scania got it right with the 143-450 (the 470 was to problematic with those silly computer systems), and i think that the 3 series were the last decent Scanias made, it all went down hill with the 4 series :frowning: . Gimme a scania with an ERF chasis layout and the brakes and handeling of an ERF, and i’d be a happy man :smiley:

KING OF THE ROAD,I HAVE A FEW OF THESE IN MODEL FORM 1/24.AND HAVE THE DECAL SHEET 1/50 FOR MY OTHER SCALE
CHK OUT MY PIC S IN THE FIRST PAGE UNDER THE MODEL TRUCKS HEADING.I HAVE A CARNA DONE UP AND HAVE THE SET OF THE EAST WEST FOR A FUTURE PROJECT AS SOON AS I CAN GET PROPER COLOUR.
MARK MAGUIRE OF MAGUIRES OF CHELTENHAM DID A FEW OF THE MILLARS SCANIAS UP IN THE VIDEO

CHEERS
DAVID

Never had a 142,but had several 112 & 113’s.The two axle was a pretty good ride,but the tag gave me constant back trouble with it’s nodding ride.
I had a 112 when they first came out,a non-intercooled 305hp two axle unit,it snapped both cab shock absorbers on it’s first trip to Poland.The air suspended cab was a far better ride,and the later 113 Topliner was good too.
I had a 112 Intercooler when they first came out,with the blue cab interior,very nice that was,and the best truck bed I’ve ever slept in,I think they had an Ikea interior sprung mattress.

I agree,the 3-series was the last good truck Scania made,and there are still so many of them at work today.

This is the same old gal, she’s owned by Warrens who deal in agricultural machinery near Diss, I snapped her at the Crowfield show a few years ago, I believe she now does mainly shows.

KW:
Never had a 142,but had several 112 & 113’s.The two axle was a pretty good ride,but the tag gave me constant back trouble with it’s nodding ride.
I had a 112 when they first came out,a non-intercooled 305hp two axle unit,it snapped both cab shock absorbers on it’s first trip to Poland.The air suspended cab was a far better ride,and the later 113 Topliner was good too.
I had a 112 Intercooler when they first came out,with the blue cab interior,very nice that was,and the best truck bed I’ve ever slept in,I think they had an Ikea interior sprung mattress.

I agree,the 3-series was the last good truck Scania made,and there are still so many of them at work today.

hi KW
driven a few 112’s and 113’s and i agree with you,nice trucks to drive,especially the topline models.but i have to admit those brakes did give my ticker a good workout on a few occasions :open_mouth: i,m in two minds as to whether the 3 series was the last good scania as the higher powered R series are quite nice to drive (only my opinion of course) the only let-down being the “safety clutch!!!” and who ever heard of an auto-box that needs a cluch to start and stop■■?
regards Mark

I had one SAJ 738X, ex freeways motor and it was nursed by the 2 drivers that had it, i drove it for 2 years, never missed a beat,

cheers mark

Paulson:

This is the same old gal, she’s owned by Warrens who deal in agricultural machinery near Diss, I snapped her at the Crowfield show a few years ago, I believe she now does mainly shows.

thats my mate darrens motor, its still a working truck, also pulls the cdc trailer to most shows aswell. it sounds beastly. also hes had the splitter put on back to front for some strange reason lol.
hes also got a couple of other v8s aswell.

I have driven several Scania and none have been my favourite but the 140 V8 broke the mould. Every driver has an idea of the best trucks or components and a V8 lump driving a Volvo synchro box built around a DAF 2800 Spacecab would be mine.

The gear selection in a Scania was a bodge when they made them for RHD markets . The cab was cramped when it was a straight dash, then they just killed it completely with the ergonomics of a curved dashboard.

My first Scania was 111 and then followed by a 92, 86 141,113 and 112 with an occasional foray into a 142.

Unfortunately that made my mind up for me about Scania for the next 30 odd years :blush:

Wheel Nut:
I have driven several Scania and none have been my favourite but the 140 V8 broke the mould. Every driver has an idea of the best trucks or components and a V8 lump driving a Volvo synchro box built around a DAF 2800 Spacecab would be mine.
The good old 10 speed box that was even on the early 3 series models arms wernt meant to bend in to the position to get 1st/6th
The gear selection in a Scania was a bodge when they made them for RHD markets . The cab was cramped when it was a straight dash, then they just killed it completely with the ergonomics of a curved dashboard.

My first Scania was 111 and then followed by a 92, 86 141,113 and 112 with an occasional foray into a 142.

Unfortunately that made my mind up for me about Scania for the next 30 odd years :blush: