Scania V8s, the modern urban myth?

Now I know that there are several excellent “model specific” Scania threads on this super site, but as a “non Scania man”, (although Ive handled, driven, and run a fair few),I can not for the life of me understand the absolute adoration of Scania V8s, from the 140, up to todays offerings. Please, lets have all your experiences, good, or not so good, to drive, run, repair, and sell. There must be some really interesting experiences to share! Over to you Gentlemen.

Owned a very late 143, best lorry I’ve ever had dealings with, pleasure to drive and pound note for pound note, the most efficient lorry I ever owned, the money I spent on it in repairs (other than servicing and consumables) wouldn’t buy one of your bottles of Bolly Saviem :wink:

It sounded nice too :sunglasses:

defenatly the best,in my opinion, have 3 in work daily 2x144 one 143,cheers benkku

its probably the closest any of them will come to owning a v8 powered vehicle

Almost everything I have read about these engines, from a technical standpoint, seems positive: performance, fuel economy, durability. Those 1960s engineers seem to have also achieved something rare- they designed a tool that makes the work more pleasurable, judging by the enthusiasm expressed on this and other forums. Nothing is perfect, however- were there any faults with the V8? I think I remember reading about some mechanical maladies which affected the very early examples.

In the Astran book it is mentioned there first v8 a j reg was very unreliable. I’ve driven a 143 450 a 144 460 and rated them both. The original 14.2 litre sounded the best too the 15.6 nice but the new one in the 730 not great I suppose that’s all the emissions crap.
I still think now Scania just get the premium truck package right other trucks get certain bits better ie volvos I shift is a better gearbox Dafs bed is better the new merc giga space is a better cab but the scania is better all round.

I prefer the DAF XF105 overall, but I’d love to work every day with that backing noise!!!

I’ve had a few from 142 to 164 and caned the [zb] out of them all over Europe. Only Problem I ever had was with a 143 450 after picking up bad fuel full of water and crap. Spent weeks changing filters in the thing after it was cleaned out :angry: . Got it down to a fine art though :laughing: :laughing: About 10 minutes or stopping to putting the 17mill away :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

At the time they were lacking a bit behind the Volvo F series in cab space but I was never sat still long enough to notice :laughing: . The ride could be a bit harsh especially on the steel/hydraulic tag ones. The exhaust brake was ■■■■ poor too you could always beat the first FHs up any hill by miles but they got down the other side a lot faster and less smokier :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Although on the 4’s we had the awesome retarder which made it game set and match :laughing: :laughing:

Oh and they were soooooooooooooooooooooo easy to fiddle (insert innocent smiley face)

Oh and that 10 speed dog leg for 6th didn’t do your shoulder any favours after a while :blush:

So what can i say, from 86 i,ll have worked whit V8 exept 6month Volvo N12 , 1,5 years Scania111 and some days in volvoFH12 F614 so about 24 years ,and i,ll think i run the buissnes so to the end :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,if and there propybly are better motors i,ll don,t need them. know my scannies better then my wife :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers benkku

gogzy:

I’ve had loads of them and still got one now junior :wink:

billybigrig:

gogzy:

+1 :sunglasses:

newmercman:

billybigrig:

gogzy:

you live in canada, you dont count. v8s are the norm especially when fuels like 2 quid a gallon or something lol

gogzy:

newmercman:

billybigrig:

gogzy:

you live in canada, you dont count. v8s are the norm especially when fuels like 2 quid a gallon or something lol

He may live in Americas hat but I don’t :grimacing:

I’ve only been fortunate enough to have had one. A 144 530 Topline :smiley: which ate hills :smiling_imp: . What a motor!! The best truck I’ve ever had. Such a joy to drive, she honestly made me smile every day i drove her. I had an FH16 520 :slight_smile: , which was better to live in, but for ease of driving, driving pleasure and all round grin factor my 144 was by far the best motor I’ve had :smiley: .

well there, i still drive a 1985 142 goes like a train makes me smile every time i take her out and i have noticed it also makes other scania fans smile too :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: … Its like there is an unoficial fan club going on as drivers of simliar type scania’s always flash and wave :smiley: . Maybe there is a club for older scania owners and drivers especially the V8 MODELS . If there is and anyone knows would the be as good and tell me .

Registrations for August indicate that there’s still life in the new HGV market. The total HGV market for trucks over 18 tonne GVW is up 10 per cent on the corresponding month last year, and up just over 25 per cent year to date.

Scania topped the sales charts in August, holding its market leading position as the registration year comes to a close. Sales are being helped by a resurgence in V8 sales with the Scania R560 a continental truckers’ favourite choice.

The 560HP is outselling the 620 & 730HP as canny hauliers recognise the adequate power reserves matched by class leading fuel economy and driver train longevity as an unbeatable combination.

In September, Scania gave its new 13 litre SCR engines a boost with a new tri-axle 440HP demonstrator being made available to hauliers who are in the market for 2013. This engine complements the existing EGR range and will yield even better fuel economy figures for hauliers who do not mind the inconvenience of Ad blue.

The launch of the 13 litre SCR engine is seen as a “run in” to the launch of the Euro 6 range of engines in time for their launch in January 2014.

Source HGV Ireland

we had a bonneted LS 141 at work 8years,my brother was first driver on it. we pulled a 60tn drawbar comination whit it ,and in winter it was in snowplowing and sanding.It was a very good motor,realibe for it,s age ,21years when we put her off work,never failed a days work,drive like a gocart,only thing was heavyloaded the right foot was in danger when the turbo get hot,cheers benku

steviev8:
well there, i still drive a 1985 142 goes like a train makes me smile every time i take her out and i have noticed it also makes other scania fans smile too :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: … Its like there is an unoficial fan club going on as drivers of simliar type scania’s always flash and wave :smiley: . Maybe there is a club for older scania owners and drivers especially the V8 MODELS . If there is and anyone knows would the be as good and tell me .

Any pictures of your 142 Steviev8?

Saviem,think you have figure it out,yes the V8 do that all scannie owners are proud of theyr motors,even if they have(as i even some ) the little brothers 6cyl,a very clever image work that volvo tryes to copy whit more ponnyes(look at the torqe 620 scaniaq is as god as a700 volvo) .god enginering and a very long god branding in deed,what i have been falling in love whit since i,ll was 4 when the 76 series came out,always dreamed to drive and own one,fortunatly have had several and i,m not dissapointed,thougt some small incidents have come in the way,thrue love last :smiley: cheers benkku

bma.finland:
Saviem,think you have figure it out,yes the V8 do that all scannie owners are proud of theyr motors,even if they have(as i even some ) the little brothers 6cyl,a very clever image work that volvo tryes to copy whit more ponnyes(look at the torqe 620 scaniaq is as god as a700 volvo) .god enginering and a very long god branding in deed,what i have been falling in love whit since i,ll was 4 when the 76 series came out,always dreamed to drive and own one,fortunatly have had several and i,m not dissapointed,thougt some small incidents have come in the way,thrue love last :smiley: cheers benkku

Evening all, bma, what can I say, I really hoped to get "under the skin " of the Scania V8 lovers! It is the only engine/vehicle, that seems to generate such “love”. I do not really know the engine, (only from the “outside”), and I have now sold my T143,( as a part exchange for another John Deere,… on tracks)!! so the only Scania I own is my French LB76, (and I do like her)!!! Ive down loaded a copy of your LB76 sketch, and that is now framed on my farm office wall, it really encapsulates my feelings about Scania, thank you!!! LB76, always my favourite Scania (Vabis).

My pal, he is the largest Scania Dealer in the world, and can, to this day not understand my “reticence” towards the V8, so please everyone keep your memories coming, and thanks for the contributions so far. Perhaps I have made a mistake in selling my T143!!! Cheerio for now.