Planthaul / MCL

newmercman:

fly sheet:
FFS could you imagine a driver getting in a sub 300bhp motor now & setting off down the road with that up his chuff…Top picture that…

I had the unfortunate experience of being allocated an F7 once, not the fastest lorry, I only had it for a week before it was swapped for an F10, real power and still nowhere near 300hp :laughing:

Can you imagine being told you would be having a left ■■■■■■ Volvo for international low loader work? You’d be thinking an F12, maybe a Globey if you were lucky, then that F7 turns up in the yard :cry: :cry: :cry:

Does anyone know what happened to Planthaul?

Jonnie Lewis:

Planthaul was set up in 1971 and had a few names along the way (EPH, Plantship, European Plant Haulage) and was put into liquidation around 1984/5 but went on to become MCL, after that it became STG who are still going but don’t operate any vehicles of it’s own as far as I know.

STG have moved from Tavistock St. in Bedford to Priory Buisiness park…
stg.ltd.uk/index.asp

One interesting thing about STG is that some of the ‘team’ seem to be Limited companies in their own right…

i.e Robert Cave (STG) Ltd. Peter Daffers (STG) Ltd. Volker Kape (STG) Ltd. (dissolved) Stephen Anderson (STG) Ltd.

for skandiahman

LB76:
for skandiahman

Thanks Bill, for all their faults they did have a good looking fleet, I turned a job down just a few months before they folded.

skandiahamn:

Jonnie Lewis:

Planthaul was set up in 1971 and had a few names along the way (EPH, Plantship, European Plant Haulage) and was put into liquidation around 1984/5 but went on to become MCL, after that it became STG who are still going but don’t operate any vehicles of it’s own as far as I know.

STG have moved from Tavistock St. in Bedford to Priory Buisiness park…
stg.ltd.uk/index.asp

One interesting thing about STG is that some of the ‘team’ seem to be Limited companies in their own right…

i.e Robert Cave (STG) Ltd. Peter Dafters (STG) Ltd. Volker Kape (STG) Ltd. (dissolved) Stephen Anderson (STG) Ltd.

D8 to Italy 1977.jpg

BTW i think the 140 was John Coopers from Bedford

This was taken in Sicily, they closed the motorway off for us to access our tipping point.

Tunisia, don’t suppose you can park there now!

Bristol to Antwerp docks.

Probably should have checked the trailer brake first!

Always was a good looking sort of bloke!

Coming down from the M B tunnel, Italian side. Aha, had the right paperwork for a change, so no mangarie for you today!

They did make a fuss in those days! You just need a van with a flashing light on now!

I think this was the first trip out for LBM 516V, Manchester to Belgrade, about a three week trip.

I seem to remember we had different weight limits to the rest of England.

Top secret flight simulator on the way to R.A.F. in germany. I’d knocked over about five miles of cones just after this as they were too narrow and I had a boat to catch. The cops wern’t all that happy.

Can’t remember where this was but I’m pretty sure there must have been a bar nearby.

We’d been pulled just before Aosta, no wide load permits (as usual). After a few frizzanties, we decided to risk getting to the customs. After a few coffee congnacs in the bar at the customs, we decided to do an all nighter to Ravena. Mission accomplished.

Fantastic photos NikNak, more please, as many as you can muster :laughing: