May's Motors

hi tim dont you remember me steve gordon and rolly berry fred aldreds brother inlaw i use to drive your motor on the boots contract i remember the reg no of your truck was A994 ntm scania fred use to drive E638 flo rolly use to drive F997 ooy tim marshall reg was E356 glk

Hiya Steve,
Of course I remember you! Will send you PM : :smiley:

hello Tim and Steve if I have got on to this site and this works then here is a little update, sadly Bob May recentley passed away he was dads cousin as opposed to brother dad was the only son of ■■■■ and winifred curel may. Dad has now moved into a nursing home in cornwall and not able to get around too much, I brought him home recentley and we went to Brighton to welcome 235 to Madeira Drive following her rebuild by John Doe he was very chuffed.
Digger is still around as is Jim Moody, Ray Thorne is in Frome Fred Aldred is also still driving. The legendary John Hill was at Mick Reeves’s funeral. I hope all your fortunes are working for you.kind regards
Andrew May

Andrew May.

Would like to know if I can get hold of Jim Moody.
I used to run with him in my Westermann days

Peter

I Rember loading out of Stabio in Swiss for STS with a guy from Mays when I had my own motor on for Ron, we both loaded Friday morning and when we got to the Gothard the road was closed so we went up over San Bernadino through Cur, but its started snowing hard and both had ± 3tonnes of roof plastics on, no chains :open_mouth: we did get up and down but t was a bit hairy… Good old days…

truckertim:
I agree with Charlie one, May’s Motors was the best firm i ever worked for. I started with them in 1988 when I had the dubious honour of driving their last Seddon Atki tractor for over two years, it was a post registered 400 with Gardner 180, david Brown Gearbox and 2 speed axle complete with a 401 grille to make it look like it’s D reg plate!! I then progressed to a six wheel Scania P92 brick lorry running out of Redland’s Bexhill Brickworks. I eventually moved upto a Scania R112 Intercooler (Ex ECE of Leighton Buzzard) and started pulling STS trailers to Swiss and Italy. At the time Andrew May was in charge, although Peter was always there!! During the recession Andrew had to sell the yard in Elstead and the company split- Andrew kept a couple of Brick lorries together with the Boots contract and his brother in law, Trevor Duke took over the general haulage side operating from Kingsley Haulage’s yard in Bordon, I left at this time to become an owner driver pulling for Euro-PSL out of Portsmouth. I have since heard that Trevor moved to Cornwall and has now sadly passed away and I am not sure what Andrew is upto now.

[/img]

Greetings,charlie one. I put these on another thread some time ago but I thought you’d like to see them on your thread. Hope you remember this one.Regards, 900x20. :smiley:

Oh me lost youth.45 years fell off me just like that.Back on with the blue boiler suit.
Me black leather jacket.No glasses and my hands and fingers all cracked and bleeding
from hemp rope and wet sheets.Wonderful days.Many thanks again for those great pics.
Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Oh me lost youth.45 years fell off me just like that.Back on with the blue boiler suit.
Me black leather jacket.No glasses and my hands and fingers all cracked and bleeding
from hemp rope and wet sheets.Wonderful days.Many thanks again for those great pics.
Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie one, Havent you old boys ever heard of udder cream… works wonders on chapped hands due to road salt, wet sheets and hemp rope[oh the smell of hemp rope… my dads d series cab stank of it]and the added bonus a good ■■■■■■ aid and it will cure worts on your bum and ay other ailment!
The picture of you in the Borderer must have indeed been a close resemblence to George Cluney with a leatherjacket and boiler suit .Alan Hurst sends his best regards.I’ll leave you for now thinking of what could of happened with Titsianna, udder cream and a boat on Saturday morning!!!Enjoy Shedfield perhaps next time we wont be working and will meet up.

Who remembers May’s Motors from Elstead in Surrey.Best company I ever worked for.Only payed the rate but we were guaranteed 11 hours a day plus we always worked a Saturday morning.If there was no loading to do he had us in washing down or tarting our motors up.Good fleet of motors.Mostly Atkis.

Are they still going? They had Green wagons with Yellow writing if I remember, and used to carry Bricks, who did they carry the bricks for though? was it Redlands out of Dorking?
The last time I saw a Mays Lorry was 2 or 3 years ago or even longer, I think it was a Scania but cant be sure.

I’m sure there is a book available about the history of Mays Motors from Nynehead Books.

Cheers

charlie one:
Who remembers May’s Motors from Elstead in Surrey.Best company I ever worked for.Only payed the rate but we were guaranteed 11 hours a day plus we always worked a Saturday morning.If there was no loading to do he had us in washing down or tarting our motors up.Good fleet of motors.Mostly Atkis.

I’ve got a Comical Motor from about 1978, with a feature about May’s rebuilding a Mk.1 Atki into a Mk.2 - brand new cab, new chassis frame, new drive axle - only the engine and box left from the original. They seemed to think it was worth it! Somewhere else, I’ve a pic of a sleeper-cabbed May’s Borderer pulling a tilt.

I’ll try and find them both

Peter May has written a book on the history of the company. It’s called ‘The Full Turn of the Wheel’ and published by the Roads and Road Transport History Association, available direct from them or from Nynehead (I think).
There’s a review of it on my website.

Andrew May,Peter May’s son was running two or three motors up to a couple of years ago. He had two on bricks and one pulling for Boots out of Aldershot.I also think that he still has a workshop at Bordon.Peter May was a gentleman of the top order.I have the honour of being sacked twice in one day by Dickie May who was Peters dad.I came back in the yard and went down to the bottom to turn round.Dickie was standing there watching and as I turned the trailer wheels scrubbed on the shale.He went Mad and shouted at me "Your’e sacked"I went up to the office and told Peter “Your dad has fired me”.He said “take no notice I’m the boss.He’s retired” Fair enough.About an hour later I was washing down when Dickie appeared.“Didn’t I sack you?” "Yes but Peter has taken me back on.Right you are sacked again! Up to the office "He’s sacked me again.This time Peter went and had a word.When he came back he said "Keep out of his way for a day or two and he will forget all about it"This is getting boring.Sorry

Was the Atci Borderer an L reg. If so It was the one I drove for a while pulling for Frigoscandia.Slightly underpowered.Only had a 180.Great days

charlie one:
Was the Atci Borderer an L reg. If so It was the one I drove for a while pulling for Frigoscandia.Slightly underpowered.Only had a 180.Great days

Underpowered? Overpowered, more like - what’s wrong with a 150■■

I’ll check the pic when I get home at weekend, see what the reg is

No nothing wrong with a 150 Gardener.Chug on for ever.I also drove a wagon and drag with a Gardener 100.Mays bought it secondhand from Suttons of St Helens. Went on for years. Did a few trips to Germany with it.Not too comfortable sleeping on the engine cover!!

charlie one:

Here you are Charlie - is this the one?

If you want a bigger copy, I can e-mail it to you

Yes indeed. Thats the one.I would love a larger one.And a bigger copy Thank you very much.Thats not me driving.I’m much better looking

Is that the old route from the ferry through Calais then?
Nice pic of an Atki, I had forgotten how much I liked that high up driving position, Fodens I drove were much the same too.

Yes indeed that was the old route from the ferry at Calais.As I was looking at the picture I was reminded of the fact that everything used to groan and crack as you went round a corner.As you older guys know,everything was on steel. No air suspension.