Pictures of old American Cabovers and other junk

Freightliner still make the Argosy.

adr:
Operated in South Africa, but this Yank Oshkosh looks the business!

Nah, foden did that early 70s

remy:
0Did anyone see this KW when it came from the US and did a tour of Europe in 1992 ?

Hank Goode, million miles, accident free

ERF MAN:

remy:
0Did anyone see this KW when it came from the US and did a tour of Europe in 1992 ?

Hank Goode, million miles, accident free

It only takes seven years to get a million miles under the bumper over here.

Spotted this yesterday in Ontario, it is an 8 wheeler chassis with a from box on the unit. They often carry gold from the big mines in the area in the from box.

Poxy spell check. Drom not from!

newmercman:
Poxy spell check. Drom not from!

Drom is a Romany word for ‘road’, so maybe you’ve got a gypsy spell-checker! Robert :smiley:

This is the latest Argosy model from Freightliner. Which I think looks better with a moose bar as it hides some of the ghastly chrome slab grille. The only cabover readily available in North America.

Here’s half a dozen from the 90’s courtesy of Alan Wright

Here are some pictures taken earlier this year.

image.jpg

co07.JPG

Great photos there Chris.
I had a mate that looked into subbing for American and the rates he was being offered were less than cost, but you see some of their guys having top of the line stuff and staying with them for years.

Jeff…

Hi Jeff, You are right about the rates for Owner/Operators; they are very poor when you work out how many hours they work. It’s like investing $150,000 of your own money and then employing yourself at below the minimum wage.

Where I work; it’s the opposite. The company has a very attractive deal for owner/operators. Six months ago, when I started, they were boasting that they had tons of work and couldn’t cover it. Now the generous pay structure has attracted so many new trucks that there is not enough work to go round and it is a struggle to get good miles every month.

I think you’ll find you have got that a little wrong there, the huge flaw in your theory is that somebody else owns the truck you drive, he pays the finance, maintenance, taxes etc, pays your wages and employers contributions on top of all that and still makes a profit out of the deal.

Those owner operators are doing the same job as you and they will be earning twice as much as you after taxes, they will also have paid for a truck that will have a value that when added to the equation will, with the right truck, take their earnings up to around three times what you get for doing the same job :sunglasses:

Yeah, I see that in my previous post it could be read that I was an owner/operator when I am in fact a company driver. Sorry if I confused anybody. What I was trying to say is that there are some very poor companies for owner/operators and also some very good paying companies. Very much the same choice as a company driver has when he starts somewhere new.

I think a owner/operator would take home roughly twice as much as a company driver, which is about right for the extra input they have to make. Two years ago, I had enough to buy a new truck but I bought a rental property instead. It provides extra income and has increased in value by nearly 20%. When I’ve saved up enough money to buy a truck again; I’ll think I’ll buy another house.