Nice pictures site

i dont know if this is listed allready, but there is a lot of good pics on here anyway!

worldwidetruck.com

heres an example of a nice photo, (that just happened to be an atkinson!) :sunglasses:
http://www.worldwidetruck.com/28jan.jpg

and heres the bit of the site of main interest here as its the oldtimers collection!

More memories - Sammy Williams from Dagenham Dock.
I used to load back steel coils out of their place and if you saw how they were fixed on it would turn your hair white today :open_mouth:
But I never ever lost one. :wink:

BTW If anyone has seen my letter under the heading of ‘Monday Morning Blues’ in the current ‘Wheels’ mag. I would like to point out that the motor depicted, just like that blue round nosed Berliet in the field in the Old Timers link, is not mine. The forward thinking URTU dug that out of the archives as their view of the modern European truck driver. :unamused:

Salut, David.

David
Do you remember Sammy Williams fitting a â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  engine into a Scania 110? I am sure they tried another engine as well, I think it was a Rolls.
I used to backload reels of paper from Dagenham, many moons ago!
Alex

alexsaville:
David
Do you remember Sammy Williams fitting a â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  engine into a Scania 110? I am sure they tried another engine as well, I think it was a Rolls.
I used to backload reels of paper from Dagenham, many moons ago!
Alex

Don’t remember the Scania Alex, but I do remember the reels though. Helluva job to sheet but nice looking when done right.

Salut, David.

I definitely remember this happening. It was around the mid 70s just as the European trucks were starting to have an impact in the UK. Big firms who were used to the economy of the usual engines available in UK trucks, but were not inclined to look at the comfort that the Europeans gave to the driver, were looking for a compromise, European cab comfort - â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  engine with perceived better fuel consumption - an engine that our mechanics knew how to fix or maybe our drivers knew how to fix at the side of the road!!!

This was something that was reported in one of the trade mags around at the time but cannot remember which one at this point in time.

I certainly remember loading steel coils out of London through Sammy Williams, in the days when you were trusted to sort out your own return loads, the tale I have to tell about the first time I did this is definetly for another time but needless to say I survived and learn’t a very BIG LESSON!!!

I used to load out of SWTT in the 70s when on tankers.Always carried my union card as they were a bit sharp in that respect.Other than that it was a good place for loading.

I also loaded coils out of Sammys, when I told my boss I had no cradles, he told me to stop and buy a hammer and six inch nails, which I did. Great days.

Dockers at Dagenham used to try & load front to back so you could put your chains through the coils.I used to make myself a frame & put them on as you would a conventional coiler, did`nt think I fancied their way in case i had to brake hard.

I used to load out of Smmy Williams dock in the early '70’s when I was driving for the Wild Group.A lot of our flat trailers were coil carriers so we could load either coil,reels or wood pulp.