Pictures of old American Cabovers and other junk

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:
there’s nothing wrong with the good old fashioned conventional idea where the advantages obviously still seem to outweigh the disadvantages at least across the Atlantic. :bulb: :wink:

For once you are right cf. Every boat I have ever seen in Liverpool Docks has had a substantial bonnet in front of the cab.

Just like the old QE2 and that was a great ship especially when ploughing into the odd 100 foot wave here and there and coming through unscathed the other side of it. :smiley: :wink:

But the yanks are obviously going backwards by putting a cab where the bonnet should be and going back to how things were before the aerodyne cab was introduced even if they did convert the thing into a rigid. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

adr:
Hi Andrew,
As with this one you mean, you can clearly see the gap between cab & sleeper, with the exhaust side pipes running along the fuel-tanks!
Regards Chris

Hello Chris,

the Kenny on this picture was called “Phoenix”. I am searching for more pictures of this truck for many years, so I am very happy, that I found this one from you :smiley:
I still want to want to build a model of this truck, but due to the lack of pics impossible :cry:
With a lot of research the last few years, I found out, that the Extra Sleeper was built by AMERCAN EAGLE INDUSTRIES.
I contacted them for some pics, but they have none. They just sent me a drawing from the interior features.
So, if anyone from the Forum has some more pic, let me know please.

Regards from southern Germany
Franz
PS: This pic is the only one, I have from a calender of german truck Magazin " TRUCKER" in the ´80…

Hope for your support!

foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben … 663333.jpg

You cannot knock knock these the old Yankee junk piles fella’s, after years of working on and driving “Brit Iron”
I went to work in the Middle East where these good old 953 Kenworth oilfield trucks were and still are used for hauling rigs and parts there-of all over the desert, powered be either Caterpillar 3408 or GM V-8 they do an amazing amount of work !
I luv 'em !

kw1.jpg

We took 3 of these Kenworths as transport for a rig, shipping them from Libya to Syria, they had to go on a weighbridge in the port of Tartous before being allowed into the desert and they weighed in at 34 tons.
The length of the derrick this truck is towing is 140 ft and it has a 5th wheel mounted on the crown and a detachable dolly at the “A” frame end, it is not good on tight country roads, lol !

kw 2.jpg

We actually did take these two “back to back” Kenworths on the highway in Syria like this as the pins holding the derrick “A” frame sections of the rig together were seized and we could’t split the frame, we bust 100 ton hydraulic pullers in the attempt.
We also had to demolish a police post (hut) at the entrance to a refinery and build them a new one.
It was great fun and the police helped by hammering at the hut roof with the butts of their Kalashnikovs, not a safe thing to do !
Retired now, but I wouldn’t have missed a minute of it !

They didn’t handle too well like this !

Great pics from V-Max of those Oilfield haulers. A couple of sizes bigger than the stuff in Alberta.

A legitable use for the long wheel-based cabover is for long-pole transport where a big front overhang is needed if the rig is to be loaded to legal-maximum axle weight capacity. Such as with System of Spokane’s Argosy.

ChrisArbon:
Great pics from V-Max of those Oilfield haulers. A couple of sizes bigger than the stuff in Alberta.

A legitable use for the long wheel-based cabover is for long-pole transport where a big front overhang is needed if the rig is to be loaded to legal-maximum axle weight capacity. Such as with System of Spokane’s Argosy.

They are a grand truck, 10 or 15 speed auto trans, 6wd in first 3 gears, loading and unloading by tail roller and Braden winch of large items mounted on an oilfield skid, gin poles for lifting and a demountable 5th wheel for floats, towing rigs, derricks etc. will post more shots later

The desert Kenworths in action on a rig blow out in the El Isba field in Syria, 953 in the middle, C-500 on the left and me in the Peterbilt on the right.
The rig is actually grey – that is oil covering it — right out of an old John Wayne movie, he he!

The 953 Kenworth hooked up to it’s towing dolly

kw5.jpg

pic showing the hitch arrangement, the towing dolly and rear wheels on the rig are all 5th wheel attachments and can be rotated to move the rig sideways, an excellent set up for getting spot on over a well centre !

kw 7.jpg

And just like John Wayne - you ride off into the sunset, pmsl !

was a bit tragic,
after getting the rig off the blow out succesfully the well went on fire and five friends perished :frowning:

kw 8.jpg

Just found another pic of the Kenworths/Peterbilt,
we had these three trucks to service one rig as it was a “one rig operation” in the Syrian desert,
normally there would only be one truck per rig,
but as we were alone in the country we were lucky - or if you were a mechanic ■■■ driver (me) – unlucky !

Those Oil-Field trucks just have everything on them. I wonder just how much they cost new?
Here are a couple from the Alberta Oil patch in Canada; plus some other interesting stuff.

image.jpg

Maybe a dim question but I’ve often wondered why there is so much space between the 5th wheel and the back of the cab on a lot of these yanks. It can’t be weight distribution can it?. Or is it that the driver wants to be as far away from the load as possible?. Like I say it may be a dim question. Any idea’s?..

God only knows mate. Some truly bizarre set ups over here.

Some cabovers and other old stuff from the last few weeks.
2012fetrip39singledrive.PNG
2012fetrip40kwblack.PNG
2012fetrip41autocar.PNG
2012fetrip41kwnashville.PNG
2012fetrip41marmonft.PNG
fetrip40kwred.PNG

Saw this in Calgary this week, a 97 model with a select Plus N14 ■■■■■■■ and the wick turned right up, made a lovely noise :sunglasses: Looks a little cramped inside, but the driver was 6’ 6" and he had plenty of room :sunglasses:

The more observant among you will notice it only has 8 stud wheels :open_mouth: Driver/Owner said it’s a PITA trying to find new rims for it :wink:

On the subject of oilfield trucks, I spotted a late 90s model KW (the one with the side panels that hinge up on the hood) winch truck with a CAT lump for sale in the truck paper, it was up for $170,000, so ■■■■ knows how much a brand new one would be :open_mouth:

Me.Paul.101:
Maybe a dim question but I’ve often wondered why there is so much space between the 5th wheel and the back of the cab on a lot of these yanks. It can’t be weight distribution can it?. Or is it that the driver wants to be as far away from the load as possible?. Like I say it may be a dim question. Any idea’s?..

Its due to low axle weights, especially front axles (steer)12000lb less than 6 tonne. There is whats known as a bridge formula which allows certain distances between sets of axles to obtain max GVW(80000lb 36 tonne). Max trailer length is 53ft, no overall length limit with trailer hooked.
Can get confusing, most trailers have sliding tandem axles to adjust weight on fifth wheel and all axles. King pin to centre of trailer tandem is 41 ft, 40 for California max.