Pictures of littlewoods lorries

Hi everyone.

This is my first posting, and it comes in the form of a request! From 1974 to 1986, my father and uncle drove for Multiple Fruit Supplies on the Littlewoods contract. The main base was at Maltby in S Yorkshire, but Dad was based at the Ross on Wye depot. Initially the lorries ran in orange with white lettering, but this soon changed to pale blue with white/grey ‘more fresh food for Littlewoods’.
I was wondering if anyone had any pictures covering this time period. I know that Trucknet member Chris Webb has posted some, but I would love to see more, especially from Ross.
Most of the fleet at that time was Scania. Dad drove 80/81/82/92/110/111 & 112 during his time. However they had a smattering of others, particularily a few Ford Transcontinentals and Leyland Clydesdales.
While I am at it, would anyone have pics of Glyn Morris lorries from the Lea near Ross, as my Dad and Uncle drove there before Littlewoods.

Many Thanks

No pics alas but in the 70’s we used to service the Leyland Lairds and Boxers that Multiple Fruits ran in the Reading area. They suffered badly with steering shake, we tried everything to cure it (tightening the king pin adjustment, replacing power steering rams but nothing worked) as no other Lairds or Boxers had any such problems, finally we blanked off the autolube to the front axles and fitted greae ■■■■■■■, RESULT, no more shaking!

Pete.

Similar to this mebbe.
Oily

Hi, that is just the thing, thanks.

As regards the mechanical issues, as far as I know they only had one laird at Ross for a short time. Later on they had two Clydesdales at Ross that were used on the Cotswolds runs, Swindon & Cheltenham and Banbury & Oxford. I am not aware of any steering issues, in fact I know that Dad thought they were nice little lorries to drive.
The only mechanical issues I remember being discussed were the brakes on the Ford Transcontinentals. They kept complaining and the fitters kept saying there was nothing wrong. It was probably just due to the fact that they were so fast, (over 70mph, no restrictors!)

superbitsy21:
Hi, that is just the thing, thanks.

As regards the mechanical issues, as far as I know they only had one laird at Ross for a short time. Later on they had two Clydesdales at Ross that were used on the Cotswolds runs, Swindon & Cheltenham and Banbury & Oxford. I am not aware of any steering issues, in fact I know that Dad thought they were nice little lorries to drive.
The only mechanical issues I remember being discussed were the brakes on the Ford Transcontinentals. They kept complaining and the fitters kept saying there was nothing wrong. It was probably just due to the fact that they were so fast, (over 70mph, no restrictors!)

Hi Mate - have sent you a pm

superbitsy21:
Hi everyone.

This is my first posting, and it comes in the form of a request! From 1974 to 1986, my father and uncle drove for Multiple Fruit Supplies on the Littlewoods contract. The main base was at Maltby in S Yorkshire, but Dad was based at the Ross on Wye depot. Initially the lorries ran in orange with white lettering, but this soon changed to pale blue with white/grey ‘more fresh food for Littlewoods’.
I was wondering if anyone had any pictures covering this time period. I know that Trucknet member Chris Webb has posted some, but I would love to see more, especially from Ross.
Most of the fleet at that time was Scania. Dad drove 80/81/82/92/110/111 & 112 during his time. However they had a smattering of others, particularily a few Ford Transcontinentals and Leyland Clydesdales.
While I am at it, would anyone have pics of Glyn Morris lorries from the Lea near Ross, as my Dad and Uncle drove there before Littlewoods.

Many Thanks

I have a few taken at Ross depot but they were sent to me by Adie Goodwin who has sent you a pm. I’ve got quite a few MFS pics taken at Maltby but you will maybe have seen them.What was your Dad’s and Uncle’s names,I will have known them,I was at Maltby 1978-2005.

Hi Chris, thanks for getting in touch.

My Dad is Adrian Howard, quite a big chap with a beard! My Uncle is Seymour, who is quite distinctive as he has a brandy wine birthmark on his cheek.
Dad was the fourth driver to be taken on when MFS set up down here. Initially they were based in a small field next to Daf-y-nant garage in Whitchurch, then they moved to the old BRS yard in Ross. (now a Morrisons supermarket)
I went on lots of trips with Dad, but never went up to Maltby.
The other drivers that I remember from Ross apart from Adie’s dad were Chub Cheshire, Bernie Bennett, Mike Hill, Tony Muller, Dave Waters, Ian Walters, Harry Wilson, Ray Whitlock and Albert Innes (sorry if any spellings are wrong!). There were others at diferent times but I can’t recall the names.

Incidentally, Adie just wanted a chat, he didn’t send me any pictures, so if you have any from Ross I would be happy to see them.

Thanks again

Mark

superbitsy21:
Hi Chris, thanks for getting in touch.

My Dad is Adrian Howard, quite a big chap with a beard! My Uncle is Seymour, who is quite distinctive as he has a brandy wine birthmark on his cheek.
Dad was the fourth driver to be taken on when MFS set up down here. Initially they were based in a small field next to Daf-y-nant garage in Whitchurch, then they moved to the old BRS yard in Ross. (now a Morrisons supermarket)
I went on lots of trips with Dad, but never went up to Maltby.
The other drivers that I remember from Ross apart from Adie’s dad were Chub Cheshire, Bernie Bennett, Mike Hill, Tony Muller, Dave Waters, Ian Walters, Harry Wilson, Ray Whitlock and Albert Innes (sorry if any spellings are wrong!). There were others at diferent times but I can’t recall the names.

Incidentally, Adie just wanted a chat, he didn’t send me any pictures, so if you have any from Ross I would be happy to see them.

Thanks again

Mark

I remember all those names Mark,I met them all when they trunked up to Maltby and when I was shunting,Dave Bevis was another one. Ray Whitlock is still around apparantly,Bernie Bennett finished up at Wincanton Chippenham and he used to backload out of Maltby in later years.Ray Jenkins and Dave Eyre went to Chepstow when Ross closed.There was a driver called Webb as well I think. Bernie picked me up one late afternoon when I was on a dodgy near Burton,he had a Scania 111 artic in that orange and white colour and he told me that night drivers were wanted at Maltby - the rest is history as they say.I remember seeing the MFS wagons parked near that Bungalow Café on the A40 between Monmouth and the Yat.

We think the snow photo was taken Winter 1982,not sure.
I have some taken at Maltby,if you give me your email address I’ll send a few.

Hi Chris, I have sent you a PM with my email, Thanks

Mark

More pictures of Littlewoods fleet here >>> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55613

Thanks