Peterborough hauliers

Thanks for the response. I’ve got a few more that i’ll put on when I get home, although the quality
isn’t too clever as they were taken with an Instamatic many years ago.

Couple of recent ones from Bubblemans Scrapbook.

Another one of Hutchinsons from the incomparable Bubbleman collection.

As requested, here’s a few more from the East of England Show, held in Peterborough.
Not sure how many of them operated in the immediate area, but hope they’re of interest.

Bill%27s photos002.jpg

Bev White & CM trailer.jpgWonder if anyone can recall these, Operated out of Earith , Hunts. and ran by Stan Marshall did mostly Minnaar’s work and went tramping on general when that was quiet. Had 3 Guy Big ‘J’ ‘s all with Gardner 180’s’’ several Guy 4 wheelers , a Dodge 4 wheeler , Dodge artic with a perkins V8, BMC with a Perkins V8,then went over to 1418 Mercs.

gb1:
Another one from the East of England Show 1977.
This one from the Peterborough Heavy Haulage fleet.

This was the last F88 bought by Heavy Haulage and was driven from new by an old workmate of mine Bill Fields (known to us all as Gracie for obvious reasons) and was put in for part exchange for an F12 reg no A833 PFL which was also driven by him. At the same time I got sister F12 834 as shown on earlier pages.

LB76:
012Wonder if anyone can recall these, Operated out of Earith , Hunts. and ran by Stan Marshall did mostly Minnaar’s work and went tramping on general when that was quiet. Had 3 Guy Big ‘J’ ‘s all with Gardner 180’s’’ several Guy 4 wheelers , a Dodge 4 wheeler , Dodge artic with a perkins V8, BMC with a Perkins V8,then went over to 1418 Mercs.

no but bev white looked rather nice in the day :laughing: is that a young you in the 1418 bill? :grimacing:

ha , andy you got that a bit wrong mate or it was me misleading you, bev is a bloke and that is his son in one picture and i think his wife in the other taken in about 1972!

Another one from Bubblemans extensive scrapbook.

P'BORO KENNYS 2.jpg
Can’t recall Kenny’s ever doing any fridge work, so guess this may have been a publicity shot.

One here from Peterborough Heavy Haulage that I don’t think has been shown before.

Any ideas about it greyknight?

Sorry after I left will ask my son Andrew and get back

Members of the PING family.

P'BORO PINGS.jpg

does any one remember a firm in ramsey called ekins transport who did removals sold up in 81 to abels

A little history of Peterborough Heavy Haulage Co. Ltd. Was formed in September 1964, to take over 5 low loaders from parent, Contractors (Peterborough) Ltd, to operate from CPL’s new depot at Broadway, Yaxley, to where they had moved to from Farcet, a short time previously. The vehicles were 2 Scammells, 839GEW with a 150 Gardner, TEW997, Leyland 600, and 3 Bedford TKs, 329DEW, BEW330B and BEW491B, all with Perkins 6.354 engines. All remained in CPL’s plain dark green livery, with the 2 Scammells being signwritten to reflect PHH ownership, the Bedfords remaining anonymous as before. The drivers were Claude Abbott on 839, Ron Pell on 997, Johnny Hawkins 329, Danny Fry 330, and Bill Field 491. This then, was the start of PHH, CPL continuing with the general traffic operation, with around 25 Bedford engined TKs, a couple of bonneted Bedford J Types, and what must have been about 70 Scammell drop sided semi-trailers. Besides the 5 low loader trailers, PHH also took ownership of 2 scammell trailers fitted with front bolsters, used for long loads in the days before 40ft flats. All remained as is for some 12 months, until Ron Pell left, citing PHH’s new traffic manager attempting to get 8 days work out of him every week, and was succeeded on 997 by Hubert Redhead. DEW329 was replaced by FEW94D, another 6.354 powered TK, and shortly afterwards, Johnny Hawkins sadly passed away. Claude Abbott took over on 94D, and was replaced on 839 by Jim Henson. Subsequently, Claude decided to seek pastures new, and George Sansom replaced him on 94, and there the status quo existed for a while. Maybe will be in a position to post a few photos from this era in the future…

Thankyou ‘HERMIT’ for the fresh imput. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you.

I’ve previously put a few pictures up of Taylors of Ailsworth vehicles.
Here’s one from their early years that I found on the good old net.