American looking B series ERF

Hiya… can anyone remember the Red B series ERF that Reg Stevens of Macclesfield had in the container job
for Manchester liners. the driver was Yank mad. he got a chrome grill off a Freightliner (well it looked like one)
and some aluminium sheet. i don’t know if the driver converted the front of the B series or someone else but
the lorry looked completely different…now come on who,s got a photo. i remember it well but never took a photo.
the lorry must have gone to a truck show maybe Peterbourough and someone snapped it…cheers
John

you mean this one

Hiya that,s it nick…its been painted Stevo,s pink. that must be later, i remember the bumper now but not the headlights.
Cheers John

There ya go, John. Looks surprisingly good, but it comes up as a yellowy orange on my computer.
It must have been long gone when I first poked my head into the Macc yard.
Maybe Nick can give us some idea as to the date of the photo?

I remember that, it must have been early 80’s, it was definitely in Stevens colours.

Trev_H:
I remember that, it must have been early 80’s, it was definitely in Stevens colours.

Hiya Trev hows things mate■■? when the lorries was on Manchester liners they was all Red with ML on the door in white.
Irlams had quite a few on the job aswell. that would be mid 70,s i’d think.
John

Trev_H:

The fella that drove this ERF featured in Trucking International in the late 80’s with a blue 111 Scania which had the same grille treatment. I seem to remember the article being full of ‘tall stories’ about how many people it had fooled into thinking it was a real PETE and having to lift the cab to prove it! YEAH RIGHT!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya i remember that chap did another truck, i completely forgot about the Scania. I’am stunned we didn’t get more photo’s,
when i have seen it parked up people always seemed to be taking a snap.
John

Hi, I hung bits on truck and painted it, cant’ remember drivers name but he had all the parts made and chromed him self, it cost a fortune,the colour on my computer looks ok and I painted 100s of them,coral pink cab,ayres red wheels,the pink was a custom colour, everyone said Reg was colour blind make up your own mind, any how I will see if I have any more photos, didnt’ do to many due to film prices at the time. Cheers Paul (dobbo)

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

Trev_H:

The fella that drove this ERF featured in Trucking International in the late 80’s with a blue 111 Scania which had the same grille treatment. I seem to remember the article being full of ‘tall stories’ about how many people it had fooled into thinking it was a real PETE and having to lift the cab to prove it! YEAH RIGHT!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i herd that aswell :open_mouth: what a load of bull :laughing:

Hiya…welcome to the site Dobbo. did you work for reg■■? i painted the bonneted merc that Ken Findlow had
on the boxes at Stevens.i lived in leek in those days i got to know a few bike lads from Macc as they come upto Leek alot.
Hobbsey,last i herd he had a mini mixer. Sutty i spoke with him about 6 years ago he was doing a bit for Reg on
that firm …rose reg had acquired for the sand job. Stu Waring he was on the Swiss tanker job with a blue Volvo F12
thats going back a few years.years later i worked at S Coopers Bollington so got to know even more Macc lads
John

anyone remember a similarly gash effort at a fake yank that was featured in truck magazine in the early eighties-it was a scammell crusader with a kenworth grill,white or pale silver cab with blue stripes i think…

I think the scammell you saw was Alister Bells, he was a subcontractor for Stevens,most of Stevos trucks at the time had Gardner engines,the scammell had a Rolls Royce eagle it pulled and went like a rocket and all Stevos drivers wanted one. Paul.

Hi 3300 John, I think I remember the bonneted merc, whos was it? I knew Stuart Waring,Which Sutty was it Brian? bet you know Stan Gee,Phil Howerth, etc.

dobbo:
Hi 3300 John, I think I remember the bonneted merc, whos was it? I knew Stuart Waring,Which Sutty was it Brian? bet you know Stan Gee,Phil Howerth, etc.

Stuart Waring- last I heard he had bought a field near Garstang & was looking to develop it into a Caravan Park. Last seen at my (most recent!) wedding in 1993.

we finished up with a couple of reg’s star men in buxton , the late alan flynn came from stevens to hazel croft on the cement tanks , and i can’t recall the other one’s name . i think it was john ? seemed to work out of burntisland all week and loaded home on a friday . i backloaded bags from there most fridays and he would be shunting in the works all day , then put the card in and set off home at teatime . he was a cockney or thereabouts , also rip now .

Alan Flynn and Les Beresford were good mates of mine, we used to go out on the razz most weekends,the only cockney I knew was Jimmy Johnstone, he drove tankers and continental, cheers Paul.

Was the ERF not driven by Jim “Trucker” Bennett? He later had a brief spell with some big blue bonneted LHD American thing, maybe a White, as an O/D. Running over the Cat two or three times a day with it was not ideal.

dobbo:

Hiya yes Brian Sutty Sutton he lives somewhere in France he told me. i was going to get his address but missed him when
he left the plant. i know Stan can’t place Phil at the moment.the Merc belonged to Ken Findlow from Leek. good old days
never to return
John