Peak District.

i think they closed the kilns down due to some agreement with ici and tarmac , also the stone they were getting at topley by then wasn’t really good enough for lime burning , a lot of black stone in it , too much waste and not enough room on the tip , cheers , dave

BonkeyDollocks:
Was that in the bottom of the quarry, level with the main road like in the first pic above?

Yes Bottom level, the dust heap was on the right hand side before you got to the hopper, mind you its a long time ago 1976. 35 years ago, how things have changed Eh, The Good Old Days Larry.

Hi BD.Great Pic the Seddon in Wimpeys,and I think rigsby’s got something there regarding ICI.The Lime plant at M.peak if IRC was something of an experiment but it was quite often in a state of repair.Regards Mike.

jimbly:
Hello Pete,
Thanks for the welcome. I vaguely rememer the names from Dene, but to be honest my memory’s not as good as it was. Faldo was in the nissan huts in the yard on the right hand side as you went up through Middleton. They used to produce bitumen ‘discs’, that used to be melted down in those old ‘burners on wheels’, a lot of it went down to London, both my dad and uncle used to drive for them. They used to run newish ‘old’ Morris commercials flats with wooden drop sides, cream with black lettering. Spent many a school holiday in the cabs.

Cheers.

Jim

Hi Jim,just noticed your post about the bitumen discs which I’ve seen on wagons years ago. This is a Peter Davies photo of one of J E Upton’s AEC Mammoth Major artics carrying what looks like those discs or slabs.I seem to recall another company making them,maybe Pitchmastic at Sandiacre?

Those blocks would most likely be from PERMANITE in Cawdor Quarry, Matlock Chris. He had several trucks on that work, the factory is still there (my house overlooks it) but John alas went to a ‘higher place’ a few years ago, though his son did, or still does (?) drive for Andrew Barker at Pikehall.

Pete.

hiya …i cant think i ever saw that AEC of uptons…he had a 8 legger on a m or n plate running sand from congleton
to rowsley (ksr)at the same time as me in the early 80’s. i used to take Kegs of bitumen to middleton across from the
mine, where there was a plant in the corner of via gella’s yard…and Eyam …the black hole i did some work into that
place over the years…quick qusetion what was the name of that posh little tsp cafe in Baslow■■? we parked across the
road by the toilets until the dreaded yellow lines appeared.
John

windrush:
Those blocks would most likely be from PERMANITE in Cawdor Quarry, Matlock Chris. He had several trucks on that work, the factory is still there (my house overlooks it) but John alas went to a ‘higher place’ a few years ago, though his son did, or still does (?) drive for Andrew Barker at Pikehall.

Pete.

He still does pete, his name is steve and he drives the 05 plate bardon volvo !
i know he has many old pics as i have seen some in the past, i will have a word next time i see him as i do a fair bit for andrew myself
moose

3300John:
hiya …i cant think i ever saw that AEC of uptons…he had a 8 legger on a m or n plate running sand from congleton
John

He had a few AEC’s John, one was a six wheeled twin steer unit and some eight legger’s but he ended up with a couple of MAN eight’s. Bernard Thatcher and Johnny Allen (who later had the Midland Hotel in Matlock Bath) both drove for him years ago, his old garage on New Street, Matlock is still there and it seemed strange when shopping on a saturday to see an eight legger parked on the pavement having a grease up and the brakes adjusted in a ‘shopping’ area! Wouldn’t be allowed these days. I seem to think that his father Amos Upton ran the firm before my time, someone will know.

Moose, pleased to know that Stephen is still about, he has been with Andrew a long time now.

Pete.

3300John:
to rowsley (ksr)at the same time as me in the early 80’s. i used to take Kegs of bitumen to middleton across from the
mine, where there was a plant in the corner of via gella’s yard…and Eyam …the black hole i did some work into that
place over the years…quick qusetion what was the name of that posh little tsp cafe in Baslow■■? we parked across the
road by the toilets until the dreaded yellow lines appeared.
John

Was this the AEC you mean John? I saw that 3-axled unit of Uptons in Bakewell one day way back in the 70s,he was going round the island north and I was going round it south when I worked for Evans. Black Hole Mine,was that near Fine Grinding between Eyam and Great Hucklow?
I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that cafe in Basler at Townend. There was a bench in that little park and a plate on it said “Rest awhile and wonder why the world on wheels goes rushing by”.And they still rush by now. :laughing:

Another Peter Davies photo…

windrush:

Pete.

The old Cawdor Quarry site is now a Sainsburys I think Pete,and Peak Rail had some of the land as well. I’m a bit behind times living in the IOM and was surprised to find a new road through Matlock last time I was there.

Chris Webb:

windrush:

Pete.

The old Cawdor Quarry site is now a Sainsburys I think Pete,and Peak Rail had some of the land as well. I’m a bit behind times living in the IOM and was surprised to find a new road through Matlock last time I was there.

The North side of the quarry is still accessible for Permanite Chris, Sainsburys lights most of Matlock up at night nowadays and they are extending it further next year. Peak rail can now run right into Matlock station, using the old Northbound platform, so at least they are benefitting from the new road setup which Sainsburys subsidised.

Pete.

rigsby:
i think they closed the kilns down due to some agreement with ici and tarmac , also the stone they were getting at topley by then wasn’t really good enough for lime burning , a lot of black stone in it , too much waste and not enough room on the tip , cheers , dave

Here’s a pic of the kilns from an inhouse magazine circa 1970.

And a few other pics including a couple for ‘TheLongDrag’. The Guy artic you told me about that ended up on it’s side:

Here’s a pic of the old Bennett quarry just on the approach to Stoney Dale. (Bottom pic) To be at the same place today you wouldn’t think it were the same place:

Lastly a pic of one of the fleet from the 'Pike before Tarmac took over. Tarmac and DS always figured prominently in the town’s carnival celebrations.

bonkey do you have any old pics of the former ici quarry at alsop moor? the site is about 11 miles south of buxton on the left if going south to ahsbourne right at the side of the a 515
the place is now rivendale holiday park, old pics of this place are as rare as hens teeth!
old pics of hartshead quarry at heathcote, which used to have a tarmac plant in it would also be a find!! and only a few hundred yards away is a former derbyshire stone quarry which backs onto hartington station
hartshead was last worked in the late 1990s and was used as a (lever against the peak park by bardon at ivonbrook) to get an extension on the ivonbrook site which has now also just closed
moose

BonkeyDollocks:
Can anyone fix an ID on this location? Been told it’s a quarry in the Derbyshire area but it’s got me stumped. :confused:

Any ideas on the tanker chaps, looks like an LPG tank, maybe a shell motor, so I presume fuel for firing burners perhaps ?

alsop moor brings some memories back moose . when i was 7 or 8 years old ( 1950ish ) i used to go with my dad to alsop moor to load bricks . the level part , now rivendell , was a brickworks , there was a level crossing , you can still see the incline from the main line , which served the quarry and the brickworks . no pics though , i was too young to be trusted with the box brownie, cheers , dave

Always enjoy reading this thread and the pics bring back great memories from 1969 to 1976 when I delivered the post to Matlock, Bakewell, Buxton, Glossop, and picked up at Ashbourne post office on the way back. I drove Commer, TK, and Leyland Terriers back then - so I was always overtaking you chaps on the hills! - and I wonder if anyone remembers a smart DAF artic tanker from Broxburn (Edinburgh), possibly red and white, or blue and white, that used to go to a quarry in the Wirksworth area on a daily basis? I used to call for a cuppa at the cafe in Newhaven and have a chat with him while he had breakfast (11 am) and he reckoned he could do the run in a day, but only just! Happy days!

Where were the two b and w photos taken of the Guy artic and Derbyshire Stone Reiver taken that had come to grief? I’m only guessing here,but the Reiver looks like it was somewhere around Darley Dale/Rowsley and the Guy at Whatstandwell - is it a Tarmac motor with that DA reg?
I’m probably miles out… :laughing:

Dave Humphries:
Always enjoy reading this thread and the pics bring back great memories from 1969 to 1976 when I delivered the post to Matlock, Bakewell, Buxton, Glossop, and picked up at Ashbourne post office on the way back. I drove Commer, TK, and Leyland Terriers back then - so I was always overtaking you chaps on the hills! - and I wonder if anyone remembers a smart DAF artic tanker from Broxburn (Edinburgh), possibly red and white, or blue and white, that used to go to a quarry in the Wirksworth area on a daily basis? I used to call for a cuppa at the cafe in Newhaven and have a chat with him while he had breakfast (11 am) and he reckoned he could do the run in a day, but only just! Happy days!

Hiya …that DAF from Broxbourn was driven buy my mate if it was the left ■■■■■■. he lives at Brassington.
John

Chris Webb:
Where were the two b and w photos taken of the Guy artic and Derbyshire Stone Reiver taken that had come to grief? I’m only guessing here,but the Reiver looks like it was somewhere around Darley Dale/Rowsley and the Guy at Whatstandwell - is it a Tarmac motor with that DA reg?
I’m probably miles out… :laughing:

The Reiver was on the A6 Darley Dale Chris, and the Guy was outside the Midland Hotel in Matlock Bath which was the scene of several ‘rollovers’ when I lived there in the '70’s! I recall that it WAS a Tarmac motor, there was also a tanker rolled over there while I was on ‘Honeymoon’ at home, which would have been March 1975!

Pete.

3300John:

Dave Humphries:

Hiya …that DAF from Broxbourn was driven buy my mate if it was the left ■■■■■■. he lives at Brassington.
John

Is Wally still around John, not seen or heard of him for Donkey’s years?

Pete.