Peak District.

Hello Pete,
Thanks for the welcome. I vaguely rememer the names from Dene, but to be honest my memory’s not as good as it was. Faldo was in the nissan huts in the yard on the right hand side as you went up through Middleton. They used to produce bitumen ‘discs’, that used to be melted down in those old ‘burners on wheels’, a lot of it went down to London, both my dad and uncle used to drive for them. They used to run newish ‘old’ Morris commercials flats with wooden drop sides, cream with black lettering. Spent many a school holiday in the cabs.

Cheers.

Jim

Pete,

Missed off last part of message, Jim Holloway and Jim Cotterill.

Jim

jimbly:
Pete,

Jim

Not names that I recall Jim, FALDO is the company that Gough’s used to cart for and I recall being told of someone getting ‘done in’ with a gun and that was the end of THAT company! It was before I moved to the area in 1975 so have no personal recollection of them.

Pete.

jimbly:
Pete,

hiya…was’nt that jim who lived up via gellia that always had a yank car for sale years ago.

Hello John,

No they were both from Hognaston.

Cheers

BonkeyDollocks:
They were Tipit mate, the last being on a C plate. I can even remember one of the reg plates : C666GBU. :open_mouth:

Here’s one of the last ones they had and I think it was pictured at Harrogate when there was a Tip in hosted there.

Not quite the last ones Allinson ran ,we had Iveco’s after the Maggies but cut down to a fleet of 12.He had 78 when i started in 1970 a mix of 6 wheel reevers,and fords before moving on to the Fodens then Maggies.Some great pics on this thread and i’m sorry i cant contribute as i have no pics from those days but recognise all the hauliers as had 3 stints on the stone run before retiring into the yard as foreman for Edward Allinson’s builders merchant side,now still at same depot (Travis Perkins now) but haave resigned myself to running the Tool Hire there.
Rob

Stanfield:
You lads know your stuff,it is Darlton at Stoney Middleton I found this one but its looking at it from the other side of the hoppers and if you look carefully you can make out everything the same with the hopper building.10

Stoney quarry in the early 70s when the quarry plant (tar plant?) was situated where the wagon park came to be.

BonkeyDollocks:

Stanfield:
You lads know your stuff,it is Darlton at Stoney Middleton I found this one but its looking at it from the other side of the hoppers and if you look carefully you can make out everything the same with the hopper building.10

Stoney quarry in the early 70s when the quarry plant (tar plant?) was situated where the wagon park came to be.

Nice photo BD.Taken from the bottom of Eyam Road.Those trees have covered that scene now.

Can anyone fix an ID on this location? Been told it’s a quarry in the Derbyshire area but it’s got me stumped. :confused:

Hi BD. I think thats the burnt lime plant at Middle Peak that worked for a short time in the late 6os early 70s before being mothballed and then dismantled that was situated lower down from where the offices stood.The photo looks like its taken looking from the pull in lower down the Middleton Road that gave access and is where the original weigbridge used to be before a new one was sited at the entrance to M.Peak.Another one was then resited round inside the quarry.The quarry hole where the lime plant was I think has its own name but I can’t bring it to mind and had a railway line that came up from the sidings under the Middleton road and into that small quarry.I think you can still trace it through the undergrowth. It looked a bigger hole years ago but was tipped into from M.Peak.It was serviced by dedicated Reivers the usual Derbyshire Stone wooden bodied ones with creedy boards fitted.Could be wrong as some of these sites tend to look similar and if any one knows better always open to correction.Regards Mike.

Cheers Mike. That fits in with with the old burnt lime plant that used to be at Topley Pike and was dismantled in the early to mid 70s. It used to be to the left of the main quarry area at the top of the approach road.

Maybe it was done at the same time as part of ‘in company strategy’?

I used to back load with 21 day setting tar from a quarry at Stoney Middleton in the 70s, Would I be right in saying it was Wimpeys ?, I used to deliver it to various Gas Board Yards in Newcasle area, is it still going after all this time?.. Regards Larry, Also in the 60s I used to load from fine grindings with pallatised bags for a brickyard at Blaydon.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I used to back load with 21 day setting tar from a quarry at Stoney Middleton in the 70s, Would I be right in saying it was Wimpeys ?, I used to deliver it to various Gas Board Yards in Newcasle area, is it still going after all this time?.. Regards Larry, Also in the 60s I used to load from fine grindings with pallatised bags for a brickyard at Blaydon.

Yes mate, the place is still operating as BCB coated after Tarmac had sold it on a few year back.

The cutback’s known as ‘Retardamac’ and has a longish shelf life. It’s mixed after the days production has been done then carted off and dumped in the stockfields to be loaded onto wagons by a shovel when needed. Was this the practice back then?

No, I used to thrown some dust over the floor, & the load was direct out of the hopper in 2 tonne drops, the dust as you probabley know stopped the stuff from sticking to the floor, Regards Larry.

Yes the very same, Cracking photo too, I wish Id taken more myself, this is the Foden I used to go their with, Regards Larry.

Was that in the bottom of the quarry, level with the main road like in the first pic above?

After a while they built a tar plant on the upper level of the quarry and made the ground area the parking bay for the fleet.

topley pike limekilns were still working in 1979 , i was carting small lime to mansfield brick plant up until then . i think it closed in the early 80s . cheers , dave

BonkeyDollocks:
You mean like this lad here?

What a great photo BD,I remember Eyam Quarries well and my grandad worked for them and also Glebe Mines at Eyam.He also worked at the old Ladywash mine above Eyam,not far from Bretton.

Mistaken then! Cheers for putting me straight Rigsby! Just I were told by the old fella the plant was flattened earlier than that.

What were the reason it was pulled down? And I bet it was a mither coming up that road away from the plant loaded, single track road around a bend with no visibility!