Suttons st helens

was in there this week,like a ghost town.stopped running general haulage now,so no wagons or trailers there,they just do warehousing,and let warehousing out to other companies,still do the tankers,but from widnes and m"boro.

its now known as linkway business park.

Hi whoosey, I do believe B.E.T. or Rentakill done a take over, we was going up to middleborough and stopping for a week and day shunting to glasgow & Edinburgh, the nightmen had ran up the evening before, it was in the late 80’s to early 90’s,this was Carlsberg. British, Electric Traction Co. own many tanker firms, they was purchased by Rentakill in the 90’s,I know this because I had shares in BET for years, then the other for about 8 years, Sandman Norman

Aye thats a sign of the times is that.I used to occationally load pallets of glassout of there many yrs ago and the place used to be buzzing.He had so many trucks with gardner engines that there used to be a saying that if you needed spares for a gardner old sutton had more than gardners themselves.I knew he had finished general work many yrs ago but didnt know his yard had gone as well,very sad.

whooshwhoosh:
was in there this week,like a ghost town.stopped running general haulage now,so no wagons or trailers there,they just do warehousing,and let warehousing out to other companies,still do the tankers,but from widnes and m"boro.

And a reminder of how it once was:

love the comparison photos of suttons

curnock:
love the comparison photos of suttons

And what about that row of Mark 1s? Most with windscreen wipers pivoted above the screen, one at least with the passenger side one fitted below, and one, it appears, without any wipers at all. :open_mouth:
Must have been the fine weather motor. :unamused: :laughing:
And who remembers those wipers? Operated by a small air motor on the spindle and a little gnurled knob which allowed you to control the speed and, if needed, a little lever which enabled a manual single wipe without need of a motor at all. :laughing:

Spardo:
one at least with the passenger side one fitted below, and one, it appears, without any wipers at all. :open_mouth:

Optional Extras :stuck_out_tongue: or is that the reason that Suttons have just posted a growth in profits. I just read that on Roadtransport.com

A lovely line up of lorries though…

Another one from the same set:

and another from the night trunk sequence:

Brilliant photo’s of real lorries Marky with real lorry driver’s. :smiley:

Spardo:
And what about that row of Mark 1s? Most with windscreen wipers pivoted above the screen, one at least with the passenger side one fitted below, and one, it appears, without any wipers at all. :open_mouth:
And who remembers those wipers? Operated by a small air motor on the spindle and a little gnurled knob which allowed you to control the speed and, if needed, a little lever which enabled a manual single wipe without need of a motor at all. :laughing:

The later Mk 1s had a linked pair of top-mounted wipers, but these in the photo would have had a pair of electric motors I should
think. The Mk.1 that I had a lot to do with had a wiper motor in front of your nose, with the switch mounted on the motor body,
and then a separate switch on the dash for the nearside wiper. I could never bear the two unsychronised wipers, so I used to
use the nearside one only for short bursts before it drove me mad!

mushroomman:

These photos were taken by Atkinson’s photographer in 1964, and accompanied a feature about Sutton’s then-new trunk
operation between St Helens and London Colney - this was the motorway revolution in trunking in which the night trunkers
actually did a round trip each night rather than over two nights.

St Helens to London Colney & return was reported to be an 11 hour shift. This would have involved leaving the M6 at Gailey
roundabout, of course, and running down the A5 to pick up the M1 at Crick.

whooshwhoosh:

Nice Kaxor mate, my sympathies. :laughing:

240 Gardner:

mushroomman:

These photos were taken by Atkinson’s photographer in 1964, and accompanied a feature about Sutton’s then-new trunk
operation between St Helens and London Colney - this was the motorway revolution in trunking in which the night trunkers
actually did a round trip each night rather than over two nights.

St Helens to London Colney & return was reported to be an 11 hour shift. This would have involved leaving the M6 at Gailey
roundabout, of course, and running down the A5 to pick up the M1 at Crick.

the good ole days ■■?

DAFMAD:

whooshwhoosh:

Nice Kaxor mate, my sympathies. :laughing:

you understand my pain! :imp: arse…leg…back!

love the b/w pics,sums up the era!its a huge site,warehouses all still in use,and a lot o the lads on forks been there 20yr plus!but no return to general planned,widnes tank depot is jewel in crown apparently?

class pics them marky

mushroomman:

I will second that Steve, I will be talking to a few old Sutton’s Drivers on Saturday night at The Long Haul Club meeting. Thanks for the pictures
they are up on my site.

regards Big Al