Peak District.

windrush:

Chris Webb:
Where were the two b and w photos taken of the Guy artic and Derbyshire Stone Reiver taken that had come to grief? I’m only guessing here,but the Reiver looks like it was somewhere around Darley Dale/Rowsley and the Guy at Whatstandwell - is it a Tarmac motor with that DA reg?
I’m probably miles out… :laughing:

The Reiver was on the A6 Darley Dale Chris, and the Guy was outside the Midland Hotel in Matlock Bath which was the scene of several ‘rollovers’ when I lived there in the '70’s! I recall that it WAS a Tarmac motor, there was also a tanker rolled over there while I was on ‘Honeymoon’ at home, which would have been March 1975!

Pete.

Thanks for that Pete,so I got 50%,is that a pass? :smiley:
Another “rollover” place for low-flying tippers was on the Grindleford road from Calver Sough where they turned right to go up Froggatt Edge. I’ve posted this photo before,taken at the old bridge at Calver,near the Bridge Inn…

It used to get bashed regular when I was at that school just up the road in the 40s and 50s. I never did identify that Albion tipper,looks like 73 on the front.Earles Cement wagons regularly lost a few bags of cement near the church when heading towards Baslow,when they ran the Leyland Comets.

windrush:

3300John:

Dave Humphries:
Always enjoy reading this thread and the pics bring back great memories from 1969 to 1976 when I delivered the post to Matlock, Bakewell, Buxton, Glossop, and picked up at Ashbourne post office on the way back. I drove Commer, TK, and Leyland Terriers back then - so I was always overtaking you chaps on the hills! - and I wonder if anyone remembers a smart DAF artic tanker from Broxburn (Edinburgh), possibly red and white, or blue and white, that used to go to a quarry in the Wirksworth area on a daily basis? I used to call for a cuppa at the cafe in Newhaven and have a chat with him while he had breakfast (11 am) and he reckoned he could do the run in a day, but only just! Happy days!

Hiya …that DAF from Broxbourn was driven buy my mate if it was the left ■■■■■■. he lives at Brassington.
John

Is Wally still around John, not seen or heard of him for Donkey’s years?

Hiya pete…who said it was Wally■■? yes ive been mates with him since about 1967 when he drove for Malcom Harrison.
wally still lives in the same place… he’s running a FH doing charcon(what ever its called nowadays) into Kent and has a
steel job back to the midlands with a little bit of belgium tied into it somehow… he’s still mates with Bob who lives
nr Dover nowadays
John

3300John:

Dave Humphries:
Always enjoy reading this thread and the pics bring back great memories from 1969 to 1976 when I delivered the post to Matlock, Bakewell, Buxton, Glossop, and picked up at Ashbourne post office on the way back. I drove Commer, TK, and Leyland Terriers back then - so I was always overtaking you chaps on the hills! - and I wonder if anyone remembers a smart DAF artic tanker from Broxburn (Edinburgh), possibly red and white, or blue and white, that used to go to a quarry in the Wirksworth area on a daily basis? I used to call for a cuppa at the cafe in Newhaven and have a chat with him while he had breakfast (11 am) and he reckoned he could do the run in a day, but only just! Happy days!

Hiya …that DAF from Broxbourn was driven buy my mate if it was the left ■■■■■■. he lives at Brassington.
John

The chap was a Scot and the DAF may have been one of those early 2600 jobbies with a split screen, or a 2800 - the memory is not so clear. Definitely not a left ■■■■■■, though, as I used to give him a flash and a wave if I was late on the A515. Thanks for the input.

Dave Humphries:

3300John:

Dave Humphries:

John

The chap was a Scot and the DAF may have been one of those early 2600 jobbies with a split screen, or a 2800 - the memory is not so clear. Definitely not a left ■■■■■■, though, as I used to give him a flash and a wave if I was late on the A515. Thanks for the input.

Sounds like Broxbourn Haulage to me,they ran powder tankers and were well known for catching racing pigeons. :smiley:

Sniffy:

BonkeyDollocks:
Can anyone fix an ID on this location? Been told it’s a quarry in the Derbyshire area but it’s got me stumped. :confused:

Any ideas on the tanker chaps, looks like an LPG tank, maybe a shell motor, so I presume fuel for firing burners perhaps ?

Hi sniffy.I think what you’ve said is spot on pretty sure they were Shell Scammells and just out of view at the bottom of pic.would be the NO ENTRY board while tanker is delivering.Im sure its the Middle Peak Lime Plant and IIRC it was a bit tight and steep down in the bottom for a rigid so he’d have some fun with that when empty.Still plenty of machines to help him out. Mike.

Moose:
bonkey do you have any old pics of the former ici quarry at alsop moor? the site is about 11 miles south of buxton on the left if going south to ahsbourne right at the side of the a 515
the place is now rivendale holiday park, old pics of this place are as rare as hens teeth!
old pics of hartshead quarry at heathcote, which used to have a tarmac plant in it would also be a find!! and only a few hundred yards away is a former derbyshire stone quarry which backs onto hartington station
hartshead was last worked in the late 1990s and was used as a (lever against the peak park by bardon at ivonbrook) to get an extension on the ivonbrook site which has now also just closed
moose

Hi Moose.Yes interesting topic those old quarry workings always wondered if there was any material on them.Be nice to see something.Also the old Prestwich Macadams Intake quarry, a lot of the long gone hauliers from this area worked out of there plus a sizeable fleet of there own.Only seen one pic on here of a Prestwich lorry and I think that was one of Peter Davies.
Another victim of take over mania. Regards Mike.

Dont know if this outfit are from the peak area but this shot was taken in Matlock in 1958-- Dakin Bros Foden S20 anyone know them
transportphotos.com/road/photos
HuE1117 Dakin Bros Foden S20 8 wheeler.jpg

thelongdrag:

Sniffy:

BonkeyDollocks:
Can anyone fix an ID on this location? Been told it’s a quarry in the Derbyshire area but it’s got me stumped. :confused:

Any ideas on the tanker chaps, looks like an LPG tank, maybe a shell motor, so I presume fuel for firing burners perhaps ?

Hi sniffy.I think what you’ve said is spot on pretty sure they were Shell Scammells and just out of view at the bottom of pic.would be the NO ENTRY board while tanker is delivering.Im sure its the Middle Peak Lime Plant and IIRC it was a bit tight and steep down in the bottom for a rigid so he’d have some fun with that when empty.Still plenty of machines to help him out. Mike.

Think you may be right Mike. Have a look at this pic taken in December 1934 and the old plant in this shot seems to be in the later (60s?) shot to the right.

Middlepeak Quarries

Title: Bowne and Shaw’s Quarry

Further Information:

The quarry floor and lime kilns at Bowne and Shaw’s Quarry, part of the Middlepeak complex of workings. At the base of the kilns a covered loading dock allowing railway wagons to be loaded in the dry can be seen. Rail access to the quarry was via a steeply-graded private line down to the ex-Midland Railway Duffield -Wirksworth branch. Bowne and Shaw had been acquired by the Stanton Ironworks Company (a major customer since the 1860’s - limestone was used as a flux in the ironmaking process) in 1918 and several Stanton steel-bodied hopper wagons can be discerned in this view, together with one in Brown and Shaw livery.

Another unknown location. Any lads know where this place is? Again somewhere in the Peak District.

Hi BD.Yes thats the one the reason it looks a bit smoother on the nearside in the 60s pic is because they have tipped a lot of overburden into it over the years.
To think the times I have been in that pull in over the years sheeting down or taking a break and never took any pics.Easy now with diggie. I will try to take one as it is now,always running through Wirksworth. (in the car). Regards Mike.

Derek Orme of Whitehough Nr Chinley
n700013265_1377563_8376.jpg

Another famous 60’s haulier through the Peaks.
MullenBrosChesterfield.jpg

Derek Ormes trucks at Whitehough, Chinley
n700013265_1377597_4420.jpg]
n700013265_1377569_183.jpg
n700013265_1377610_8292.jpg
n700013265_1377617_457.jpg
n700013265_1377612_8877.jpg

n700013265_1377575_1983.jpg
n700013265_1377577_2592.jpg
n700013265_1377560_7522.jpg
n700013265_1377570_476.jpg
n700013265_1377578_2903.jpgA few more at Saltpie, Whitehough

No trip through Peak District in the 60’s would be complete without seeing one of Richard Johnsons

Robert Brookes from Whaley Bridge

These three Fodens of Pearsons used to belong to Allinson Stone at Stockport many’s the mile I’ve done in one of these.

Matlock Transport.
16258_199199505669_628120669_3649602_3220874_n.jpg

Excellent pics Jim.Keep them coming mate.
Cheers Dave.

don’t encourage him dave , he just put years on me . when i see some of the stuff i used to drive i suddenly feel old . that j type bedford on the second pic was what i drove on farm deliveries , and also one of the s types , and i recall the lad cabbed reiver coming brand new . i think the last photos were taken at their yard in chapel , now somersets .i noticed a tractor on one of the shots , i wonder if it is the one derek got killed on pulling the tree down . dave