PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Hi dean,s&k otherwise known as skint &knackered :laughing: :laughing:

85E4896A-7C92-4428-BD03-9FF3ACA9820B.jpeg

windrush:
Yes Dean, repaired plenty of Foden gearboxes and we tried to keep one built up ready to swap over. The front mainshaft bolt used to shear off, also the rear mainshaft nut used to loosen and then the epicyclic gear assembly would float about wrecking the shaft. Fodens modified those though and cured that problem. On the later ones they incorporated an air operated clutch stop on the layshaft instead of on the primary shaft and the two studs regularly sheared off and let the layshaft drop, I reckon we rebuilt a box most weeks and kept all the parts in stock ready. The two we had with 220 Rolls engines used to crack the bellhousings every few months. I still have the ‘special tool’ for setting up the selectors in my toolbox: a short piece of 1" square steel box section. I doubt that I will ever rebuild another though! :wink:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Those Fodens kept you busy Pete ! :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

Thats a cracker Ro. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Cockerdog:
“DEANB”

SCATS had main depots at Micheldever, Hampshire and Midhurst, West Sussex, I think. They also had a few ‘country stores’ which were more like retail outlets. If you see a Mole Valley country store in Hampshire, Dorset or West Sussex, there’s a good chance it is an old SCATS store. There is one of these in Andover and if I remember correctly, one down your way Dean, out in the sticks at Winterborne Kingston.

I’m with you Dean, I think more likely a RHM agriculture vehicle. The body looks like, with the wooden sides, it could be a Locomotors of Andover product. I know these were favoured by RHM, certainly at Christopher Hill and Rawlings, James and Phillips from Hungerford. My uncle drove for SCATS, out of their Micheldever depot and his ‘fold flat’ had aluminium sides.

Thanks for the info “Cockerdog” :smiley: :wink:

There are some Mole Valley stores near me according to google maps in Dorchester,Yeovil,Gillingham,Salisbury and Lymington.

The nearest grain mills would be For Farmers at Blandford and John Loader just outside of Fordingbridge.

Think you could be right about it possibly being a Locomotors body.

Click on twice to read.

ERF-NGC-European:
“DEANB”

Rynart Volvo. They did alot of Middle East, plus i think they also did Russia.

Rynart also did Pakistan, as in this example:

Totally forgot about that Ro,your right i have that DVD. :laughing: :laughing:

smallcoal:
Hi dean,s&k otherwise known as skint &knackered :laughing: :laughing:

Nice pic John. “skint & knackered” thats a cracker ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Brachot Hermant are marble & granite importers we used to collect from the Erdington depot but never did work for them .

DEANB:

smallcoal:
Hi. Dean,talking about marina vans my dad worked for South Wales electricity board ,they had a lot of Leyland mini,s and marina vans on the fleet ,they had big Ford transits as well here’s a pic of one of them in port talbot

Morning John, I did have a Marina van brochure but i gave i to Paul Gee as he had one for years. :laughing: :wink:

Heres a road test on a Transit panel van from 1966.

I wonder how many Transits must have been sold in this country alone over the years ? Must be hundreds of thousands
i would have thought,anyone know a figure ■■ :unamused:

Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks. Great to have a look at the early incarnation of the icon.

Punchy Dan:
Brachot Hermant are marble & granite importers we used to collect from the Erdington depot but never did work for them .

Thanks for the name and info Dan, tidy looking motor. :wink:

essexpete:
“DEANB”

Heres a road test on a Transit panel van from 1966.

I wonder how many Transits must have been sold in this country alone over the years ? Must be hundreds of thousands
i would have thought,anyone know a figure ■■ :unamused:

Thanks. Great to have a look at the early incarnation of the icon.

Glad you like it Pete,i try and concentrate on older stuff rather than new. :wink:

Draincare MAN.

P2130229p.JPG

Think it says Micheal Davey ■■ on the Volvo who i assume is an owner driver pulling for Tarmac.

C.J.Bird Transport Volvo. Anyone know where they are from ■■

Anyone recognise the colour scheme on the Scania ■■

DF Pembrokeshire Freight Volvo.

MDW Metals MAN.

Think we had one of these on before,anyone recognise it ■■

P2130025p.JPG

Dunelm Scania.

P2130033p.JPG

Wincanton DAF.

P2130066p.JPG

P & P Timber ERF.

P2130098p.JPG

Truckers 1987.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean,
The Volvo is one of N S Clarkes from Lichfield and the C J Bird is from Pete 359’s manor!

P2130025p.JPG

Hi Dean I think the Scania says Brittons Timber.

jshepguis:
Hi Dean I think the Scania says Brittons Timber.

Your spot on, Brittons Timber, had a yard on Cardiff Docks, bought by Travis Perkins in, about 2010?, has since closed down and moved location, ran a mixed fleet of flats and curtain side on timber distribution to merchants in the South West

And what a super box to work, first time I run into it was in this S39. Having said that I always used it has a 12sp cos nobody told me any different n the shift pattern had wore off the gear knob. Cheers Coomsey

foden (1).jpg

FB_IMG_1584726601367.jpg

coomsey:
And what a super box to work, first time I run into it was in this S39. Having said that I always used it has a 12sp cos nobody told me any different n the shift pattern had wore off the gear knob. Cheers Coomsey

Never got on with the switch on the gear lever , not as precise as the old s39type and with the Gardner manifold on the drivers side we had a lot of trouble with the air pipes melting . Very hilly up here , so the fitters had to reroute the pipes to avoid the problem . The s80cab was a step back IMO , it was like a limbo getting through the door and onto the seat . I was only 12 stone then and the bigger drivers did a lot of huffing and puffing getting in .

rigsby:

coomsey:

Never got on with the switch on the gear lever , not as precise as the old s39type and with the Gardner manifold on the drivers side we had a lot of trouble with the air pipes melting . Very hilly up here , so the fitters had to reroute the pipes to avoid the problem . The s80cab was a step back IMO , it was like a limbo getting through the door and onto the seat . I was only 12 stone then and the bigger drivers did a lot of huffing and puffing getting in .

I know you preferred the 39 Dave n I might have joined you if it wasn’t such a buga to look left out of that stupid low window. I didn’t mind the S80/3 but I’m bound to agree it was a bit of a do getting in/out,

rigsby:

coomsey:

[/quote]

It had to be made like that with the door well back Dave as otherwise it didn’t meet the new regulations for cab safety in an accident that came in at that time. I didn’t mind either 'box, although of course with the later one you had to use the clutch to split the gears. We had the same problem with the airpipes, flakes of hot rust used to drop off the manifold onto them so we made a shield to cover them. Dragging up Longcliffe was when it normally happened with the S80’s, the S39’s manifold just used to set the engine cowling on fire. And folk used to complain that a Gardner engine never warmed the cab, well they warmed those up nicely! :wink:

Pete.

Just remembered that I had a similar melting pipe problem with the first Sed-Ak 400 we ran. I had an early MOT at Derby so took the truck home with me, again dragging up Longcliffe (Rigsby will know that nobody flies up there with a Gardner loaded!) and spotted the General Manager behind in his Granada so I was waiting until I cleared the trees and then intended to wave him past. He was tucked in right behind when suddenly a loud WHOOSH came from under the cab and the brakes came on! :open_mouth: He stopped, just, and got out with his face as white as a ghost! :laughing: “What did you do that for” he ranted, I explained and he said “well at least the brakes seem fine” and went back to the quarry to fetch a fitter. It had the David Brown eight speed box, all the other Sed Ak’s we had were fitted with Fuller boxes and they were never a problem with air pipes.

Pete.

windrush:

rigsby:

coomsey:

[/quote]

It had to be made like that with the door well back Dave as otherwise it didn’t meet the new regulations for cab safety in an accident that came in at that time. I didn’t mind either 'box, although of course with the later one you had to use the clutch to split the gears. We had the same problem with the airpipes, flakes of hot rust used to drop off the manifold onto them so we made a shield to cover them. Dragging up Longcliffe was when it normally happened with the S80’s, the S39’s manifold just used to set the engine cowling on fire. And folk used to complain that a Gardner engine never warmed the cab, well they warmed those up nicely! :wink:

Pete.

I can safely say I’ve never had anything resembling heat out of any Gardner I’ve driven, even going up my" Longcliffe " Wardley hill on the A47, n you could count the wheel studs going round, from the outside if you were brave/daft enough, cheers Coomsey

windrush:
Just remembered that I had a similar melting pipe problem with the first Sed-Ak 400 we ran. I had an early MOT at Derby so took the truck home with me, again dragging up Longcliffe (Rigsby will know that nobody flies up there with a Gardner loaded!) and spotted the General Manager behind in his Granada so I was waiting until I cleared the trees and then intended to wave him past. He was tucked in right behind when suddenly a loud WHOOSH came from under the cab and the brakes came on! :open_mouth: He stopped, just, and got out with his face as white as a ghost! :laughing: “What did you do that for” he ranted, I explained and he said “well at least the brakes seem fine” and went back to the quarry to fetch a fitter. It had the David Brown eight speed box, all the other Sed Ak’s we had were fitted with Fuller boxes and they were never a problem with air pipes.

Pete.

For some reason,Pete, that reminds me of my cuz,Brian, ,. He was on for Tarmac n having stopped at the temporary lights for the resurfacing went on the green n pulled off the main road into the works, the Blaw Knox was empty so he was straight into reverse n back to the machine along with the 3 idiots in their cars who’d followed him in. Don’t know what became of the insurance claim

I reckon everyone in Brassington paved their yards for nowt. In the 60s we could shortcut from Hulland Products , 2 rows of flags with a rope round the back so when first gear was snatched up the hill the residents got free deliveries with a few kerbs for good measure