PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

windrush:
Just remembered that I had a similar melting pipe problem with the first Sed-Ak 400 we ran. I had an early MOT at Derby so took the truck home with me, again dragging up Longcliffe (Rigsby will know that nobody flies up there with a Gardner loaded!) and spotted the General Manager behind in his Granada so I was waiting until I cleared the trees and then intended to wave him past. He was tucked in right behind when suddenly a loud WHOOSH came from under the cab and the brakes came on! :open_mouth: He stopped, just, and got out with his face as white as a ghost! :laughing: “What did you do that for” he ranted, I explained and he said “well at least the brakes seem fine” and went back to the quarry to fetch a fitter. It had the David Brown eight speed box, all the other Sed Ak’s we had were fitted with Fuller boxes and they were never a problem with air pipes.

Pete.

It’s only a long cliffe for the Gardner man ,■■■■■■■ eat it :laughing:

i

it had to be made like that with the door well back Dave as otherwise it didn’t meet the new regulations for cab safety in an accident that came in at that time. I didn’t mind either 'box, although of course with the later one you had to use the clutch to split the gears. We had the same problem with the airpipes, flakes of hot rust used to drop off the manifold onto them so we made a shield to cover them. Dragging up Longcliffe was when it normally happened with the S80’s, the S39’s manifold just used to set the engine cowling on fire. And folk used to complain that a Gardner engine never warmed the cab, well they warmed those up nicely! :wink:

Pete.

Ive seen a couple of S80/3 cabs burnt out because the gearstick gaiter had split or disappeared and the driver had stuffed a rag into the gap to stop the draught, which caught fire due to the exhaust manifold.Cab wrecked, Gardner rocker covers melted into the heads.A real mess for a tenners worth of gaiter .

DEANB:
Draincare MAN.

Think it says Micheal Davey ■■ on the Volvo who i assume is an owner driver pulling for Tarmac.

C.J.Bird Transport Volvo. Anyone know where they are from ■■
They from coed ely near llantrisant on the road to treorchy

Anyone recognise the colour scheme on the Scania ■■
Its brittons timber

DF Pembrokeshire Freight Volvo.

MDW Metals MAN.

Think we had one of these on before,anyone recognise it ■■

Dunelm Scania.

Wincanton DAF.

P & P Timber ERF.
That is the m4 at taibach port talbot when that pic was taken

DEANB:
Truckers 1987.

Click on pages twice to read.

Got this on dvd all 8 series

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
The Volvo is one of N S Clarkes from Lichfield and the C J Bird is from Pete 359’s manor!

Thats the one Pete ! :laughing: :wink:

jshepguis:
Hi Dean I think the Scania says Brittons Timber.

Thanks for the name chap. :wink:

steelboyf10:
“jshepguis”

Hi Dean I think the Scania says Brittons Timber.

Your spot on, Brittons Timber, had a yard on Cardiff Docks, bought by Travis Perkins in, about 2010?, has since closed down and moved location, ran a mixed fleet of flats and curtain side on timber distribution to merchants in the South West

Thanks for the comments “steelboyf10” :smiley:

coomsey:
And what a super box to work, first time I run into it was in this S39. Having said that I always used it has a 12sp cos nobody told me any different n the shift pattern had wore off the gear knob. Cheers Coomsey

Did you drive for Tarmac Coomsey ■■ :unamused:

Looks like Rigsby,Coomsey,Windrush had a good natter about that gearbox and Fodens in general. :laughing: :wink:

Punchy Dan:
"windrush"Just remembered that I had a similar melting pipe problem with the first Sed-Ak 400 we ran. I had an early MOT at Derby so took the truck home with me, again dragging up Longcliffe (Rigsby will know that nobody flies up there with a Gardner loaded!) and spotted the General Manager behind in his Granada so I was waiting until I cleared the trees and then intended to wave him past. He was tucked in right behind when suddenly a loud WHOOSH came from under the cab and the brakes came on! :open_mouth: He stopped, just, and got out with his face as white as a ghost! :laughing: “What did you do that for” he ranted, I explained and he said “well at least the brakes seem fine” and went back to the quarry to fetch a fitter. It had the David Brown eight speed box, all the other Sed Ak’s we had were fitted with Fuller boxes and they were never a problem with air pipes.

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: very good Dan ! :wink:

finbarot:
it had to be made like that with the door well back Dave as otherwise it didn’t meet the new regulations for cab safety in an accident that came in at that time. I didn’t mind either 'box, although of course with the later one you had to use the clutch to split the gears. We had the same problem with the airpipes, flakes of hot rust used to drop off the manifold onto them so we made a shield to cover them. Dragging up Longcliffe was when it normally happened with the S80’s, the S39’s manifold just used to set the engine cowling on fire. And folk used to complain that a Gardner engine never warmed the cab, well they warmed those up nicely! :wink:

Pete.

Ive seen a couple of S80/3 cabs burnt out because the gearstick gaiter had split or disappeared and the driver had stuffed a rag into the gap to stop the draught, which caught fire due to the exhaust manifold.Cab wrecked, Gardner rocker covers melted into the heads.A real mess for a tenners worth of gaiter .

Expensive mistake for the sake of a cheap fix like you say Tony. :open_mouth: :wink:

smallcoal:
“DEANB”

C.J.Bird Transport Volvo. Anyone know where they are from ■■
They from coed ely near llantrisant on the road to treorchy

Anyone recognise the colour scheme on the Scania ■■
Its brittons timber

P & P Timber ERF.
That is the m4 at taibach port talbot when that pic was taken

Good stuff John as usual ! :smiley: Paul has taken an awful lot of pics on the M4 ! :wink:

smallcoal:
“DEANB”

Truckers 1987.

Got this on dvd all 8 series

I never saw it John. :wink:

Apologies if I’ve missed them, but I’ve not seen any photos of a single seat cab vehicle (i.e. no passenger side at all to the cab) possibly from the ‘80s.

I have in my mind that they were 8 wheelers(?) and possibly owned by ARC/Amey Roadstone (or a similar operator?)

Nor can I recall why they were built that way.

Does anyone remember them?

“truckworld”

Some great pics of James Bros motors. :smiley: :wink:

I had an uncle live in one of those houses you can see in the first pic. :smiley:

The Danny Barker load on the Bedford looked a tad awkward. Would imagine that he must have had an ■■■■■■
vehicle back then.Would have been tight getting under the lifting bridge at that height unless he went via Upton.

I can remember the Scania 112 and DAF 85 well. Did they have a 110 or 111 before the 112 ■■

Thank Graham Orchard for me and ask him to join as he would be handy for all the local Poole stuff thats on here.

Will send you a PM. :wink:

Heres a few James bros adverts.

poole james brosa ppg.PNG

Paul Gee sent me some pics of your mixer chap.

beegee:
Apologies if I’ve missed them, but I’ve not seen any photos of a single seat cab vehicle (i.e. no passenger side at all to the cab) possibly from the ‘80s.

I have in my mind that they were 8 wheelers(?) and possibly owned by ARC/Amey Roadstone (or a similar operator?)

Nor can I recall why they were built that way.

Does anyone remember them?

Yes “beegee” you have definately missed them chap,been a fair bit about the half cab Fodens on here. :laughing: :wink:

AQ20.JPG

AQ21.JPG

BA0016.JPG

A00387.JPG

foden half cab 69.PNG

Click on page twice to read.

Foden brochure.

Some trucks used to pull low loaders with traction engines on at The Great Dorset Steam Fair.

Nuttall DAF.

Atkinson.

Seddon Atkinson 400. Possibly ex ICI Chemicals ■■

Atkinson.

DAF.

One you will like “Pete Smith”. Leonard Crane F88.

L.J.Searle & Sons Scania.

GUY Big J4.

Graham Atkinson F88.

Tidy Foden.

Punchy Dan:

windrush:
Just remembered that I had a similar melting pipe problem with the first Sed-Ak 400 we ran. I had an early MOT at Derby so took the truck home with me, again dragging up Longcliffe (Rigsby will know that nobody flies up there with a Gardner loaded!) and spotted the General Manager behind in his Granada so I was waiting until I cleared the trees and then intended to wave him past. He was tucked in right behind when suddenly a loud WHOOSH came from under the cab and the brakes came on! :open_mouth: He stopped, just, and got out with his face as white as a ghost! :laughing: “What did you do that for” he ranted, I explained and he said “well at least the brakes seem fine” and went back to the quarry to fetch a fitter. It had the David Brown eight speed box, all the other Sed Ak’s we had were fitted with Fuller boxes and they were never a problem with air pipes.

Pete.

I wish you had told that to the ■■■■■■■ under the cabs of the last two Fodens I drove then! :unamused:

Pete.

One for Windrush Pete

The throttle pedal looks like the organ type brake pedal of the s80s
Ive not seen a Foden with a brake pedal like that? Maybe on an S18?
I thought the throttle pedal should maybe have been that odd hydraulic type.Maybe its a prototype in the pictures?

finbarot:
One for Windrush Pete

The throttle pedal looks like the organ type brake pedal of the s80s
Ive not seen a Foden with a brake pedal like that? Maybe on an S18?
I thought the throttle pedal should maybe have been that odd hydraulic type.Maybe its a prototype in the pictures?

Casting my brain back to the late 1970’s when we last ran S50’s I believe that ours had the standard cast alloy throttle pedal the same as the S39 models, as you say the one in the brochure looks exactly like a brake pedal for the S39/S80/83 ranges? That brake pedal in the pic was normal though, and with all ours having Gardner 6LXB engines the throttle was rod operated and not hydraulic. However our dumpers with ■■■■■■■ engines did have hydraulic throttles. Ours didn’t have that panel on the nearside that drops down either, I think it was only the early models that had that fitted and ours were 1971 and 72 models and were just open like the one on the car transporter. The front bumpers were different on ours as well because they had a towing jaw built in.

Pete.

DEANB:

In 1969, a 6 cubic yard concrete mixer powered by a Gardner 6 LW (105 or 110 bhp) was still available? That would have been totally obsolete on the Continent!

Froggy55:

DEANB:

In 1969, a 6 cubic yard concrete mixer powered by a Gardner 6 LW (105 or 110 bhp) was still available? That would have been totally obsolete on the Continent!

Ah but we are a small island, not a continent and you can travel most of it in a day. :wink: In those days a mixer generally didn’t roam far from its mixing plant, plus with a donkey engine to power the drum a large capacity truck engine wasn’t needed.

Pete.

DEANB:
Rynart Volvo. They did alot of Middle East, plus i think they also did Russia.

[attachment=9]P4220159p.JPG

And a lot of other far flung places beyond Russia
A restored 141 in their old colours and very nice too

I did Dean, started on a H reg scammel doing 22 loads a day to the sidings onto a S39 RUK ***L then S80 BUE ***M running out of Cliffe hill Leicestershire. Cheers Coomsey

501fd2488918874c606d62820d663dbf.jpg

Tarmac Foden S39 tipper.JPG

FB_IMG_1588871642902.jpg

windrush:
“Punchy Dan”"windrush"Just remembered that I had a similar melting pipe problem with the first Sed-Ak 400 we ran. I had an early MOT at Derby so took the truck home with me, again dragging up Longcliffe (Rigsby will know that nobody flies up there with a Gardner loaded!) and spotted the General Manager behind in his Granada so I was waiting until I cleared the trees and then intended to wave him past. He was tucked in right behind when suddenly a loud WHOOSH came from under the cab and the brakes came on! :open_mouth: He stopped, just, and got out with his face as white as a ghost! :laughing: “What did you do that for” he ranted, I explained and he said “well at least the brakes seem fine” and went back to the quarry to fetch a fitter. It had the David Brown eight speed box, all the other Sed Ak’s we had were fitted with Fuller boxes and they were never a problem with air pipes.

Pete.

I wish you had told that to the ■■■■■■■ under the cabs of the last two Fodens I drove then! :unamused:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Froggy55:
"DEANB"Click on pages twice to read.

There were some slow old motors about back then Froggy and in the 70’s. :smiley: :wink:

robthedog:
“DEANB”

Rynart Volvo. They did alot of Middle East, plus i think they also did Russia.

And a lot of other far flung places beyond Russia
A restored 141 in their old colours and very nice too

Nice pics Rob, looks a proper job.They certainly did get about, a bit like Croomes who used to go to some unusual places. :wink:

coomsey:
I did Dean, started on a H reg scammel doing 22 loads a day to the sidings onto a S39 RUK ***L then S80 BUE ***M running out of Cliffe hill Leicestershire. Cheers Coomsey

Thanks for the pics “coomsey” :smiley:

I dont remember you saying before that you drove for Tarmac. :wink:

Heres a nice Foden we had on along time ago from Cliffe Hill Quarry.

A00143.JPG

Ro, if you click on that Cliffe Foden above you can see in the background another Crusader with the air intake up over
the cab. I am sure it would have been a 4x2 as its one of ICI’s. Amazing what you miss in these pics sometimes. :wink: