My Guys

as we were looking at some Guys , Ive posted first time with my Smithers lorry , with a Somerfan Tilt and a rare photo in 204 berth with myself Brains Guy and Cories as well
Frenchy

[/img][/code]

Nice pictures frency my dad bought ex smithers motors years ago he pulled with them on OCL at Barking and orsett he had FLD313J a ERF64LV with a 205 ■■■■■■■ and RVX182K a pre Aseries with a ■■■■■■■ and AYH???H with a 180 gardner never seen the guys though the brains big j remember those KDX???F PMY////F and southampton had some Lregs

Whats that Brain Haulage in the first photo?

I remember Smither being taken over by P&O.

Yes your right george around 1970 John Brain needed extra vehicles and bought lots of big j guys from mobil fuel company some were ■■■■■■■ and gardners and some had aec 505 and perkins he also had LADcab beavers ex mobil and fodens and ERF but people always remember them for the scanias he also around that time had 2 pedal beavers in ACTcolours they were the first contract motors around that time also he had 2 F88 6 wheel units

Great old photos mate, i remember seeing Smithers motors on the A13 when i was a kid, my dad used to load at Thurrock power station and tip in Barking, up and down the 13 all day long. I used to love going with him in the school holidays.Also remember Brains, Drapers,Neales etc etc!

Henry Smithers originated in London but as I remember were bought by the then forming P&O for containers , including Eastern Roadways and West Midland Roadways and had Smither lorries based in Tilbury dock until they moved into the Orsett depot , Liverpool had a few added as well , around 1970 they based lorries in Southampton and moved into their new yard at Rushington near Totton Around 1972 . there were mainly ERFs as well as 4 Guy Big Js but went on to add Seddaks , Volvo F7s , Scania 81s on Dart containers , after 1980 everything was then painted P&O colours .
Brain Haulage in Southampton had Guys as mentioned but were known mainly for their Scania`s but went through a period of replacing these with Renaults .
Sight of the A13 full of Green Smither lorries , Happy days .
frenchy

Frenchy, seeing as we’re old mates, I’ll add this to your Guy thread !

Somewhere in Portugal, Oporto bound ! about 1970.