PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:

windrush:
That’s a later model Commer Walk-Thru following Alan Hadley’s Scammell Dean.

Pete.

Were they sometimes badged as a Dodge Pete or am i getting mixed up ■■ :unamused:

Some were badged up as Dodge, we had one were I used to work but it was 7.5 ton not a walk thru

500 pages and counting, well done Dean, Mark and Paul, my favourite thread, along with Oily’s, keep up the good work chaps, thanks for the entertainment.

atlas man:

DEANB:

windrush:

Pete.

Were they sometimes badged as a Dodge Pete or am i getting mixed up ■■ :unamused:

Some were badged up as Dodge, we had one were I used to work but it was 7.5 ton not a walk thru

The later ones were badged as Dodge like all the rest of the Commer range, including the old PB van models which were renamed as the Spacevan, as Chrysler owned them by then. The Walk-Thru range was made from 1961 until the late 70’s so had a good long run. Worked on a few in the sixties, but then I’m getting on a bi! :blush:

Pete.

DEANB:
“finbarot” Drinkwater Sabey Foden. Trucks from the 50’s,60’s used to have there spare wheels in that position on rigids,but it
was not normal when this truck was operated.

Hugh Friend Bedford TM. They operate from just outside of Blandford and the last time i saw one of there motor’s it
was a DAF 95.

GB Express MAN. They grew very quick as i remember and then went pear shaped !

BRS DAF.

Prismo DAF.

Not had a Blue Dart motor on for a while.

Thermas Block Foden.

Daz, Hadleys Routeman.Is that a Dodge or Bedford van behind the Maxi ■■

Hi Dean just looking through the threads on here and noticed on today posting which i did not expect to see was the Hadleys Routeman tipper from reading very chuffed to see this one they are quite company tippers Skip trucks etc there was an article and write up in one of the truck mags a few years ago showing few great photos of there fleet from the 1980s Many thanks for all the great pictrues again Daz :smiley:

Durham Chemicals Volvo F6.

“smallcoal” John, one from your part of the world. Do you recognise who it is ■■

Dean wondering if this rescued Bison could have been one of SCATS lorries especially as it has a Hampshire registration number and looks like a fold flat bulker too, Buzzer.

139563301_1054002628421262_7619422059073257244_o (2).jpg

DEANB:

windrush:

Pete.

Hi Dean, I had one of these vans, Reg No AVN 682T, It was one of the later ones, so mine was a Dodge.
I kept it for about a year for some of the Oddball single pallet jobs that turned up for delivery to any
location in the U.K. The Walk-Thru cab was spacious so I installed a wall and a single bunk behind the
cab seats. The engine was a 4 cylinder Perkins, and it was the noisiest engine that I had ever heard.
I happened to have a large piece of deep pile carpet from home, so I fitted it around the engine cover
and the forward part of the cab…It didnt make a bit of difference :cry: . After about 1 year, I sold it
to a Corner shop bakery in Liverpool, and replaced it with a Mercedes-Benz 307D box van.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

windrush:

Pete.

Cheers Pete. :wink:

Suedehead:
Were all Austin Maxis brown or beige ? :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: And White ! :wink:

gazsa401:
Congratulations on reaching the 500 mark this is the first thread I look at (apologies to other threads)
Well done and thank you Dean for all your effort into posting the information and the pictures that Paul and Mark have taken over the years
The pictures have brought back some great memories for me and for my Dad who loves reminiscing about his lifelong time spent in road haulage
Cheers Gary [emoji106]

Thanks for the comments Gary. :smiley: :wink:

Paul & Mark always say its a shame digital cameras were not around then ! :wink:

gazsa401:
“DEANB”

Tunnocks Bakery, Uddingston 1970.

I like the way the number of employees is crossed out on the back doors as the company increased it work force. :laughing:

I used to load regularly out of Tunnocks has a backload after delivering cigarettes and tobacco products to Imperial Tobacco in East Kilbride
Cheers Gary

Classic,small world Gary. :wink:

finbarot:
Hi Dean
Im guessing that because Drinkwater drivers could almost be guaranteed a puncture or three every day a spare was essential.Ive used the ones that go horizontal on the chassis that held the wheel on the bracket with a couple of wheel nuts and was wound into position with a bolt attached to a wire bond.Maybe on the six wheel Haulmaster they couldn’t fit that type because of the exhaust /air tanks etc? I dont like the look of the one on that Foden.It has ‘hernia truss’ written all over it. Cant imagine it being allowed today.Imagine struggling with that on the hard shoulder of the M25 with motors taking the dust off your donkey jacket as they whizz by!!

I thought it was odd the spare wheel being in that position Tony. I will have a look through the other Foden
pics of Drinkwater’s and see if there are any more like that. :wink:

atlas man:
“DEANB” “windrush” That’s a later model Commer Walk-Thru following Alan Hadley’s Scammell Dean.

Pete.

Cheers “atlas man” :smiley:

mizzo:
500 pages and counting, well done Dean, Mark and Paul, my favourite thread, along with Oily’s, keep up the good work chaps, thanks for the entertainment.

Thanks “mizzo” :smiley:

windrush:
The later ones were badged as Dodge like all the rest of the Commer range, including the old PB van models which were renamed as the Spacevan, as Chrysler owned them by then. The Walk-Thru range was made from 1961 until the late 70’s so had a good long run. Worked on a few in the sixties, but then I’m getting on a bi! :blush:

Pete.

Thanks Pete,found a few adverts. :wink:

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB” “windrush”

Pete.

Hi Dean, I had one of these vans, Reg No AVN 682T, It was one of the later ones, so mine was a Dodge.
I kept it for about a year for some of the Oddball single pallet jobs that turned up for delivery to any
location in the U.K. The Walk-Thru cab was spacious so I installed a wall and a single bunk behind the
cab seats. The engine was a 4 cylinder Perkins, and it was the noisiest engine that I had ever heard.
I happened to have a large piece of deep pile carpet from home, so I fitted it around the engine cover
and the forward part of the cab…It didnt make a bit of difference :cry: . After about 1 year, I sold it
to a Corner shop bakery in Liverpool, and replaced it with a Mercedes-Benz 307D box van.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Most disappointing that the “deep pile carpet” never worked Ray ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Buzzer:
Dean wondering if this rescued Bison could have been one of SCATS lorries especially as it has a Hampshire registration number and looks like a fold flat bulker too, Buzzer.

ley tip.PNG

Nice to see the old girl being saved Buzzer. :wink:

Scats is a blast from the past chap,dont think we have had one on here apart from a much newer one.
I am trying to think where they were based ■■ Were they based at High Post the other side of Salisbury
as there was a grain depot there years ago.

Looking at the pic it could have been a Scats motor but i reckon it was more likely a RHM - Christopher Hill’s
motor looking at the body and steps up behind the cab ■■ :wink:

I have this Scats Leyland.

The body and steps look like these two.

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

DAZ, Hadleys Routeman.

Hi Dean just looking through the threads on here and noticed on today posting which i did not expect to see was the Hadleys Routeman tipper from reading very chuffed to see this one they are quite company tippers Skip trucks etc there was an article and write up in one of the truck mags a few years ago showing few great photos of there fleet from the 1980s Many thanks for all the great pictrues again Daz :smiley:

Morning Daz, Thought you might like that chap. :smiley:

I should have looked in the archives chap. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

Back in the sixties I compiled a complete list of all Hadley’s vehicles and plant, mostly BMC’s and Bedford’s back then when they were in Hyde End Lane, as I did with all the haulage contractors in the Reading area where I lived. Of course when I married and left home in 1975 the book went in the bin! :unamused:

Pete.

Think you may be right Dean about RHM as your shot the body design is very much the same, here is a shot of a Wiltshire cattle truck a Commer which they often were with a wooden built container, borrowed from Oily’s thread bit on the heavy side compared with alloy but weight did not matter so much back then, Buzzer.

84755956_10156918095638085_3591035178526441472_n.jpg

DEANB:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

DAZ, Hadleys Routeman.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hello Dean this thread that you have put together of Hadleys haulage from reading is terrific lots of old history there going back in the days i am very happy with this article which you have posted up for me today brilliant work Dean Paul Mark much appreciated Best regards Daz :smiley:

windrush:
Back in the sixties I compiled a complete list of all Hadley’s vehicles and plant, mostly BMC’s and Bedford’s back then when they were in Hyde End Lane, as I did with all the haulage contractors in the Reading area where I lived. Of course when I married and left home in 1975 the book went in the bin! :unamused:

Pete.

Thanks for your comments Pete. :wink:

I imagine you repaired a few of these chap when you spent your time crawling about under all those Fodens. :laughing: :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Buzzer:
Think you may be right Dean about RHM as your shot the body design is very much the same, here is a shot of a Wiltshire cattle truck a Commer which they often were with a wooden built container, borrowed from Oily’s thread bit on the heavy side compared with alloy but weight did not matter so much back then, Buzzer.

There were loads of those about chap,plus it was sensible as you could take them off and still have a flat bed motor.
I imagine there must have been a bit of maintenance every year to look after the wood work but having said that they
seem to last for years.

Heres a bit about Lionel Pike. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

pike commer.PNG

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Hello Dean this thread that you have put together of Hadleys haulage from reading is terrific lots of old history there going back in the days i am very happy with this article which you have posted up for me today brilliant work Dean Paul Mark much appreciated Best regards Daz :smiley:

Glad you liked it Daz. :wink:

Rynart Volvo. They did alot of Middle East, plus i think they also did Russia.

P4220159p.JPG

Omega Scania tanker.

P8050091p.JPG

Wincanton MAN.

P8050127p.JPG

JMD Scania from Liverpool.

P8050151p.JPG

Cant make name out, something Hermant ■■

P8050207p.JPG

Loosemores DAF.

P8050251p.JPG

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■

P8050264p.JPG

Cool Solutions Volvo.

P8050279p.JPG

Edwards Logistics Renault.

P8060001p.JPG

DFDS Volvo.

P8070018p.JPG

Yes Dean, repaired plenty of Foden gearboxes and we tried to keep one built up ready to swap over. The front mainshaft bolt used to shear off, also the rear mainshaft nut used to loosen and then the epicyclic gear assembly would float about wrecking the shaft. Fodens modified those though and cured that problem. On the later ones they incorporated an air operated clutch stop on the layshaft instead of on the primary shaft and the two studs regularly sheared off and let the layshaft drop, I reckon we rebuilt a box most weeks and kept all the parts in stock ready. The two we had with 220 Rolls engines used to crack the bellhousings every few months. I still have the ‘special tool’ for setting up the selectors in my toolbox: a short piece of 1" square steel box section. I doubt that I will ever rebuild another though! :wink:

Pete.

Thanks for posting the article about Lionel Pikes, very interesting read. Hope you dont mind me putting another pic of one of theirs on, also a couple of another firm from just down the road.

DEANB:

Buzzer:

Nice to see the old girl being saved Buzzer. :wink:

Scats is a blast from the past chap,dont think we have had one on here apart from a much newer one.
I am trying to think where they were based ■■ Were they based at High Post the other side of Salisbury
as there was a grain depot there years ago.

SCATS had main depots at Micheldever, Hampshire and Midhurst, West Sussex, I think. They also had a few ‘country stores’ which were more like retail outlets. If you see a Mole Valley country store in Hampshire, Dorset or West Sussex, there’s a good chance it is an old SCATS store. There is one of these in Andover and if I remember correctly, one down your way Dean, out in the sticks at Winterborne Kingston.

I’ve went to High Post grain silo many, many times with my dad when I was a kid but, for the life of me I have no idea who owned or operated it, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t SCATS though. Is it still there? Not been that way for years.

Looking at the pic it could have been a Scats motor but i reckon it was more likely a RHM - Christopher Hill’s
motor looking at the body and steps up behind the cab ■■ :wink:

I’m with you Dean, I think more likely a RHM agriculture vehicle. The body looks like, with the wooden sides, it could be a Locomotors of Andover product. I know these were favoured by RHM, certainly at Christopher Hill and Rawlings, James and Phillips from Hungerford. My uncle drove for SCATS, out of their Micheldever depot and his ‘fold flat’ had aluminium sides.

I have this Scats Leyland.

The body and steps look like these two.

Suedehead:
Thanks for posting the article about Lionel Pikes, very interesting read. Hope you dont mind me putting another pic of one of theirs on, also a couple of another firm from just down the road.

Nice pics “Suedehead” thanks for posting. :smiley: :wink:

I have some older articles on live stock trucks /markets. If you are intrested in them let me know.

Here’s a colour pic of that Raymond Webb DAF. :smiley:

A03691p.JPG

DEANB:
Rynart Volvo. They did alot of Middle East, plus i think they also did Russia.

Omega Scania tanker.

Wincanton MAN.

JMD Scania from Liverpool.

Cant make name out, something Hermant ■■

Loosemores DAF.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■

Cool Solutions Volvo.

Edwards Logistics Renault.

DFDS Volvo.

Rynart also did Pakistan, as in this example:

bing.com/videos/search?q=tr … ORM=VDRVRV