PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

John McVey:
Hi Paul, tried Febland, Feblands and Febland Europa but only came up with an ad for trailors which included a new Febland tilt

I was getting mixed up with another company. Not sure if there are any pics of there’s. I may have something
but it will be a case of when i come across it John. :wink:

No problem, thanks anyway

Browns Bros F88

L0352p.JPG

Looks like an owner driver F10.

L0316p.JPG

New Foden chassis.

L0345p.JPG

British Salt Foden.

L0359p.JPG

Shell Seddon Atkinson.

L0442p.JPG

DART Maggie.

L0376p.JPG

BRS DAF

L0378p.JPG

J.Chadwick ERF

L0679p.JPG

Joseph Fish Seddon Atkinson.

L0710p.JPG

S.John MAN bulker.

A34C8694-9F73-4229-BC15-24F6622983BE.jpeg

Foden.

Click on pages twice to read.

A good article that Foden one Dean, I wonder if manufacturers still allow you to spec your own truck regarding the cab design, lighting, engine and transmission or is it a case of one size fits all and you either take it or leave it?

Pete.

L0442p.JPG A Manx Petroleum Seddon Atkinson tanker who were Shell agents on the Isle of Man.

L0608p.JPG

Running out of their terminal on Douglas harbour this is their livery today.

DEANB:

moomooland:
Bowker’s ran quite a few of these Volvo F7 tractor units during the early 1980’s.
A line up of Volvo F7 tractor units parked up in Bowker’s old yard at Blackburn.
The late Peter Davison who drove for Bowker’s took this picture in 1982.
A few of Bowker’s old F7 tractor units were purchased by Tom Riding who put them to good use for a number of years.Mr Bill Bowker, when in conversation with Tom Riding, said he regarded the Volvo F7 as the modern replacementof the Atkinson Mk I.
In other words they were durable cheap to run and maintain, he ought to know, because Bowker’s had plenty of them in their fleet.

Great pics Paul, thanks for posting ! :laughing: :wink: I bet you could get a hell of a payload with them F7’s a bit
like the F86. Compared to a F10 or Marathon or similar large cab unit of the 1970’s they must have been a lot
lighter. Anyone know the difference in terms of weight between a F7 and F10 ■■ About half a ton maybe ■■? :unamused:

All but one of those F7s in the line-up was still in service when I joined in October 1982, and all were UK motors. Some did do international work too.

When they were operated at their design weight of 36.6 tonnes (i.e. 36 tons), the payload was almost as much as a 38 tonne F10/12

Hi Dean, Very interesting article above regarding Bass Brewery lorries.
I bought this Ex Bass Bedford TL in 1987 when it was 5 years old, and it
was in excellent condition. It was still in Brown and Red Bass livery.
Its bodywork was a “Linkliner” by Boalloy at Congleton, Cheshire.

It is seen here at Leeds Street depot, on return from the paint shop. (1)
Later that day with the front bumper and wings painted “Atlantic Blue” (2)
Converted to a Curtainsider 2 weeks later. (3)

I bought the Bedford for my then main source of work, which was multiple
daily deliveries of bagged flour from Rank Hovis to bakeries, hospitals,
prisons and catering colleges. The Bedford was 12500kg GVW, It weighed
4500kg unladen, so it carried 8000 kg on most days. With it being a short
overall length, it was ideal for getting down back entries, particularly at
bakers shops where his flour was kept in a shed in the back yard.

It soon became apparent that because the bags of flour on the pallets were
overhanging the 48" x 40" pallets by 2 or 3 inches all sides, It was difficult
to open and close the sliding sides, so I had it converted to curtainsided.

Regarding a point made in the Bass article above, my Bedford did not have
the letters “B E D F O R D” on the grille. I wasn’t aware that my Bedford
was nameless until I read your article, and viewed my pictures. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Oh dear…each to their own I suppose.

L0316p.JPG

windrush:
A good article that Foden one Dean, I wonder if manufacturers still allow you to spec your own truck regarding the cab design, lighting, engine and transmission or is it a case of one size fits all and you either take it or leave it? Pete.

I know that a manual gearbox is now an extra as i suppose the production line is set up to fit auto boxes ! :unamused:

moomooland:
A Manx Petroleum Seddon Atkinson tanker who were Shell agents on the Isle of Man.
Running out of their terminal on Douglas harbour this is their livery today.

Thanks for the photo Paul. :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

moomooland:
Bowker’s ran quite a few of these Volvo F7 tractor units during the early 1980’s.
Anyone know the difference in terms of weight between a F7 and F10 ■■ About half a ton maybe ■■? :unamused:

All but one of those F7s in the line-up was still in service when I joined in October 1982, and all were UK motors. Some did do international work too.
When they were operated at their design weight of 36.6 tonnes (i.e. 36 tons), the payload was almost as much as a 38 tonne F10/12

Thanks for your comments Chris. :wink:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, Very interesting article above regarding Bass Brewery lorries.
I bought this Ex Bass Bedford TL in 1987 when it was 5 years old, and it
was in excellent condition. It was still in Brown and Red Bass livery.
Regarding a point made in the Bass article above, my Bedford did not have
the letters “B E D F O R D” on the grille. I wasn’t aware that my Bedford
was nameless until I read your article, and viewed my pictures. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks for the pics Ray and your comments ! :wink: Bass were not the only company that took the
manufacturers name of the front of there trucks. There were other large companies that did the same.

Double Diamond were another one that did it.

A01888.JPG

Mark R:
Oh dear…each to their own I suppose.

Too much crap in the windscreen for me Mark ! :wink:

Back to the American trucks that tried to break into the UK market back in the 1970’s. As i have said before
i reckon Mack were the biggest seller followed by White. I reckon Kenworth were third, purley from memory
i have no figures to see how many each manufacturer sold. Have done a bit on Mack and White.

Kenworth.

This truck was operated for a while by EC Transport of Poole. It was originally sold in Switzerland.

A03070p.JPG

A03071p.JPG

Kenworth.

A03361p.JPG

This wrecker looks like the same one in the article ?

A04571p.JPG

A02814.JPGThat was an interesting article Dean i bet those F10’s they refered to were like Rolls Royce’s after driving one of these Foden’s below…

Shell Seddon Atkinson.

The Shell SA D408 MAN was registered in the Isle of Man.Looks like the photo was taken on Parliament Street Ramsey.Shell in Douglas is now Manx Petroleum.

Photos from truck show.

Mansel Davies Volvo F7

Suttons ERF

A02984.JPG

Volvo F12 Globetrotter.

MAN

A02986.JPG

White.

Magirus Deutz.

Leyland Constructor.

Ford Transcontinental.

Bedford.

Foden.

What’s the world coming to? A right-hand drive White and a left-hand drive Bedford!

Hi all,you don’t see trade stands like that anymore that was when you advertised proper trucks ,that used to take place at Earl’s Court nowadays everything is leased cheers John

smallcoal:
Hi all,you don’t see trade stands like that anymore that was when you advertised proper trucks ,that used to take place at Earl’s Court nowadays everything is leased cheers John

Your right there John here’s another blast from the past.

Wynns Scammell.jpg

smallcoal:

Hi John, your dead right there.
At Earl’s Court you could “pop out” and find any Restaurant, Italian, Chinese, Pubs, whatever you fancied within a few hundren yards.
Now at the N E C you are lucky to get a dried up roll for a Fiver.
We all saw the best times :frowning: Harvey

DEANB:
Photos from truck show.

Mansel Davies Volvo F7

Suttons ERF

Volvo F12 Globetrotter.

MAN

White.

Magirus Deutz.

Leyland Constructor.

Ford Transcontinental.

Bedford.

Foden.

Hi Dean, I am as ever, very grateful to see the pictures on this thread, However, 2 pictures really caught my eye.
The Mansel Davies Volvo F7 has an amazing paint job, and excellent signwriting. I wonder is it the hand painted
skills of a traditional Signwriter, or is it Computer Graphics ■■ The white Bedford TL with the cack-handed
steering wheel reminded me of my Bedford TL, shown earlier this week, which, if Bass Brewery had left its BEDFORD
name on, It would have looked much better. Regards, Ray.