PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Piston broke:

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

Harry Dando’s.

Local to me, very long established and probably best known for being a Kenworth dealer/agent back in the seventies. I’m sure they were responsible for supplying some of John Goldings well known fleet, amongst others. A well known O/D called Gerry Holmes had one running the Middle East. On a thread on here somewhere - I think it’s the Astrans one - he has written about how well suited to the job it was but how expensive it was to buy, compared to everything else at the time. Whitwills had quite a few running containers from Avonmouth. At least one of theirs ended up with Ruttle Plant Hire. It never ceases to amaze me how many Kenworth’s still exist today, considering the relatively few that were supplied. I know of at least two locally that are being restored, besides the ones that are already on the show circuit.
Volvo dealers for years, responsible for an awful lot of converts from the existing British offerings to the new generation of reliable and comfortable imports… :smiley: One of my ex employers served his apprenticeship with Dando’s/Volvo, eventually left to start on his own and has always ran Volvo to this day…
All the commercial side of Dando’s has long gone now sadly. They are now dealers for Ford cars amongst others but still operating from the same site.

Great memories Dean :smiley: :smiley:

Wasn’t it Dando’s who were famous for rebuilding badly-damaged Volvos and turning them out better and smarter than when they were new?

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the FB88 ■■?

Think it says Douglas ■■ on the Leyland Octopus.

Glyn John Transport Seddon Atkinson.

C.B.Crook Routeman.

Calor Gas Foden.Looks like the F7 car transporter is about to overtake.

UFO Volvo F12

G.Cork Atkinson.

British Sugar Ford D series.

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson tanker ■■?

E & D Stephens & Son ERF

Hello DEAN …E D Stephens were from Tredegar …hauling out of Ebbw vale …they also had an F7 Volvo 8 wheeler …Geraint

Retired Old ■■■■:

Piston broke:

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

Harry Dando’s.

Local to me, very long established and probably best known for being a Kenworth dealer/agent back in the seventies. I’m sure they were responsible for supplying some of John Goldings well known fleet, amongst others. A well known O/D called Gerry Holmes had one running the Middle East. On a thread on here somewhere - I think it’s the Astrans one - he has written about how well suited to the job it was but how expensive it was to buy, compared to everything else at the time. Whitwills had quite a few running containers from Avonmouth. At least one of theirs ended up with Ruttle Plant Hire. It never ceases to amaze me how many Kenworth’s still exist today, considering the relatively few that were supplied. I know of at least two locally that are being restored, besides the ones that are already on the show circuit.
Volvo dealers for years, responsible for an awful lot of converts from the existing British offerings to the new generation of reliable and comfortable imports… :smiley: One of my ex employers served his apprenticeship with Dando’s/Volvo, eventually left to start on his own and has always ran Volvo to this day…
All the commercial side of Dando’s has long gone now sadly. They are now dealers for Ford cars amongst others but still operating from the same site.

Wasn’t it Dando’s who were famous for rebuilding badly-damaged Volvos and turning them out better and smarter than when they were new?

It could well have been RoF. It does sound like something they would have done…

A little before my time though - I am just a mere lad… :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Not sure about the unit but the tank is one of Pickfords Tank Haulage.Unit has a London reg plate so could also be one of theirs.

DEANB:
M.H.Turner Volvo FB88

Clevestone Atkinson.

Thomas Bolton & Son Leyland.

Chris one for you,whos the tanker belong to ■■?

Smart Seddon of Dyfed Sludge Disposal.Even got the welsh flag on the front.

Scammell Routeman. I think on the Wimborne bypass when being built.

Tidy ERF of Rudge transport.

Tony Morgan Marathon from South Wales.

Andrew Hogg ERF tanker.

Eric Cole’s Marathon from Evesham.

Dean another cracker of the Scammell Routman tipper that is working on the Wimborne bypass when being built i am sure that was an ex G. J. Gaywood Ltd Demolition from Kings Langley Heartfordshire

Great care must be taken when adding axles or any form of “cut and shut” operation. Harvey

moomooland:

DEANB:
Paul one for you.
Adam Parker pic.

Cheers Dean.
1 H194 DDB was registered new in September 1990 and based at Lowfields Sainsburys depot on Stakehill Industrial Estate Middleton Manchester.

Driven from new by Ray Connolly, who is seen at the wheel, it is pictured on the M62 Hartshead Moor Services in West Yorkshire in 1995.

One of a batch of 10, with consecutive number plates, they were all sold on in 1997 and exported to Malta, one of which is seen below.

I wouldnt be suprised if they are still working over there ive just come back and there`s loads of E series still working and quite a few Leylands too

smallcoal:

DEANB:
Some from the dodgy camera.
Anyone recognise the FH12 cant make name out ■■?
Hi dean looks like it says Mike poult on it some good pics even if it a dodgy camera :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers John ! :wink:

smallcoal:

DEANB:
UFO Volvo F12.
What a cracking shot of the cortina and the mini when they were British built :smiley:

I thought the F12 looked pretty good John ! :laughing: Had a Mini as my first car ! :wink:

Punchy Dan:
In the Glyn John shot there’s a freshly painted looking B series with a load of coke on :laughing: :smiley:

Well spotted Dan ! :laughing:

moomooland:

DEANB:
Paul one for you. Adam Parker pic.

Cheers Dean.H194 DDB was registered new in September 1990 and based at Lowfields Sainsburys depot on Stakehill Industrial Estate Middleton Manchester.Driven from new by Ray Connolly, who is seen at the wheel, it is pictured on the M62 Hartshead Moor Services in West Yorkshire in 1995.One of a batch of 10, with consecutive number plates, they were all sold on in 1997 and exported to Malta, one of which is seen below.

Cheers Paul, Its amazing how many trucks seem to end up in Malta. :wink:

ArcDaz:

DEANB:

Hi Dean or Paul what a cracking photo of the C B Crook scammell Routeman tipper never heard of that company or seen any of there fleet of trucks before would you guys know what part of the country they are from i am enjoying all the photos that have been put on your site lots of old companys you dont see now days on the road could i please have a copy of C B Crook Darren Many Thanks :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comments Daz, sorry cant make out where they are from ! Someone else may know ■■ :wink:

gazsa401:
Glyn John Transport Seddon Atkinson.
The Glyn John SA 401 must be one of earliest registered being a “W” reg

Thanks for your comment “gazsa401” :laughing: :wink:

bazztrucker:
Hi dean,the volvo drawbar is owned by michael pidley, from i think devon, cheers

Thanks Barry ! :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:

That rings a bell “ROF” i seem to remember reading something about that not that long ago. Cant remember
if it was on here or in a magazine ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

kenfig bill:

DEANB:
E & D Stephens & Son ERF

Hello DEAN …E D Stephens were from Tredegar …hauling out of Ebbw vale …they also had an F7 Volvo 8 wheeler …Geraint

Thanks for the info Geraint ! :wink:

Chris Webb:
Not sure about the unit but the tank is one of Pickfords Tank Haulage.Unit has a London reg plate so could also be one of theirs.

Cheers Chris, i thought possibly them as well ? :smiley:

ArcDaz:
Scammell Routeman. I think on the Wimborne bypass when being built.
Dean another cracker of the Scammell Routman tipper that is working on the Wimborne bypass when being built i am sure that was an ex G. J. Gaywood Ltd Demolition from Kings Langley Heartfordshire

Thanks for your comments Daz ! :laughing: :wink:

HRS:
Great care must be taken when adding axles or any form of “cut and shut” operation. Harvey

Thanks for the pic Harvey ! :open_mouth: :unamused:

Piston broke:

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

Harry Dando’s.

Glad that advert brought back some memories chap. I remember the name and them being
involved in importing kenworth’s like you say. There was also a company but i cant remember
what they were called that also imported American trucks that were in Morgan’s yard at
Shaftesbury. Do you remember them ■■

Dando’s Kenworths.

Like you say John Golding heavy haulage operated lots of American trucks.

A03361p.JPG

Again Whitwills like you say had a fleet of them.

Heres a nice F88.

L0655p.JPG

Click on pages twice to read.

Ruttle Plant Hire that you mentioned also ran a kenworth. I posted an article about them on page 143 ! :wink:

Glacia Salt ERF

L0358p.JPG

Calor Gas Foden overtaking Leyland Boxer of J.E.England & Sons from Wellington.

L0367p.JPG

Gibbs Bros Exports Mercedes.

L0438p.JPG

Looks like Bennett & Toole on head board of the ERF ■■?

L0445p.JPG

North Western BRS Foden.

L0474p.JPG

Foden factory.

L0480p.JPG

Texaco Marathon heading through Poole back to base at Poole docks.

L0503p.JPG

Poole Transport Services Saviem in Poole. You dont see too many coal delivery trucks these days like
the one going the other way.

L0493p.JPG

P & O Roadways Crusader. Unusual trailer wheels ?

L0547p.JPG

Harold Wood Seddon Atkinson tanker.

L0602p.JPG

Is there a website you can use to check where a vehicle was registered ■■ I see some posters often say
that a truck was from Southampton for instance,how do they find out ?

DEANB:
Is there a website you can use to check where a vehicle was registered ■■ I see some posters often say

Morning Dean,
It is on google somewhere, if you want PM me your email address and I will scan and send you my copy, Cheer’s Pete

DEANB:

This one comes in quite handy for the old stuff Dean.

Vehicle registration numbers. click on the reg letters your looking for down the right hand column. :smiley:

For instance clicking on the HD reg of say the Harold Wood tanker pictured below it will give you… ‘the HD series, a series allocated to the Dewsbury area’.

L0602p.JPG

Harold Wood & Sons main depot was on Wormald Street Heckmondwike near Dewsbury which is were this picture was taken.
This AEC publicity shot shows one of their brand new AEC 4x2 tractor units shortly after joining the fleet with driver John Stephenson at the wheel.
Close behind is one of Harold Woods Mammoth Major’s note the number plate on the AEC had been blanked out as not to date the picture so it could be used over a longer period in AEC publicity material etc at the time.

moomooland:

DEANB:

This one comes in quite handy Dean.

Vehicle registration numbers. click on the reg letters your looking for down the right hand column. :smiley:

For instance clicking on the HD reg of say the Harold Wood tanker pictured below it will give you… ‘the HD series, a series allocated to the Dewsbury area’.

Just checked this: glad to see that the list in the back of the BRS book I bought for 2/6d in 1963 is still accurate! :sunglasses: Robert

Great photos DEANB, the BRS Foden is a unusual model for BRS to run I think .

DEANB:

Hi Dean, This is a very useful little book that I bought, after the current, dreadful, horrible system was introduced in 2001.
The single wheels and tyres on the Nacanco trailer would have been more than sufficient to carry a full load of empty tin cans.
I recall that Reed Corrugated Cases had some 40ft tandem flat trailers from Fromco in Sussex, which were used to carry pallets
of cardboard cartons 2 high, and the load weight was about 8 tons. Their running gear was just like the Nacanco trailer.
Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

You have to remember that there was a big change in registration number allocations in 1974 when the centralised system was set up. County Council and County Borough Council registration offices were closed and transferred to fewer Local Vehicle Licensing Offices (LVLO’s). Thus, Dewsbury’s original HD allocation was first moved to Huddersfield LVLO, then to Leeds in 1984. Since the 2001 restructuring, it has been issued from Bournemouth. There was an excellent book published some years ago by the late Les Newall, “A History of Motor Vehicle Registration in The United Kingdom” , now out of print but which can sometimes be found on ebay. Personally, i think the new system is a bit of a BA57ARD compared to the OLD 1.

The number plate style is a novel way of dodging the autocensor. I like it, very clever, however it does still contravene the rules here, so please don’t make a habit of it.
Thanks newmercman.

Hi Dean, “You dont see too many coal delivery trucks these days” regular sight in this part of the country, more so just now and the Bedford in the Dando’s ad is 1966 and working Bristol/Toulouse.
Oily

Coal 8620062360_fcda6009b3_o.jpg

pistonbroke and Dean,
Maybe the firm I’m thinking about wasn’t Dando’s. I seem to recall that they were out in the sticks somewhere between Oldbury and Berkeley if that rings a bell with anyone?