PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

fodenway:
i think the new system is a bit of a BA57ARD compared to the OLD 1.

+1

It was bad enough when the had to reverse the year suffix letter to a prefix.

Let alone now I don’t recognise/understand it at all.It looks like a cross between French and Dutch reg so BA57ARD is a good description for it.

DEANB:
J.Bradshaw Volvo F88 bulker. Whats sticking out of the chassis just behind the landing legs ■■?

Is this a Welsh motor ■■ Trevor G Phillips Seddon Atkinson.

Hope your paying attention Daz.

Rogers Atkinson. They seemed to have a few of these Atkis.

BOC Foden tanker.

“windrush” Pete is this a subby for Tilcon ■■ Cant make name out on cab.

Boyds Car deliveries Guy.

Anyone recognise the Commer,has a W on the front ■■

How about this one JAKEY !

Hi Dean or Paul this is the photo i was telling you about on this page 159 RMC Routeman the driver who is a friend of mine Regards Daz :slight_smile:

Three of Whitwills with thanks to Paul Townsend for sharing.
Oily
A copyright claim has been made on two of the pics, now removed.

Kenworth Paul Townsend cc by nc sa 2.0 5169804350_043356c625_PTo.jpg

oiltreader:
Oily

Great pics Oily, thanks :smiley:

Second pic looks like Dando’s yard…

Retired Old ■■■■:
pistonbroke and Dean,
Maybe the firm I’m thinking about wasn’t Dando’s. I seem to recall that they were out in the sticks somewhere between Oldbury and Berkeley if that rings a bell with anyone?

Doesn’t ring any bells with me I’m afraid RoF… I’ve been quite a long time thunking and clunking but haven’t any answers really… The only place I can think of was a yard at Gaunts Earthcott that did an engine rebuild on a Rolls powered ERF in the early eighties, for the firm I worked for at the time… A bloody good job they made of it too - she was better than new when she came back. Always started first piston up and pulled like a train…
There was a firm that used to run some tidy lorries from the same yard but I’m buggered if I can remember the name now!! Merc’s I think…

Bloody useless, me :laughing: :laughing:

Obviously not as useless as me, though! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

fodenway:
You have to remember that there was a big change in registration number allocations in 1974 when the centralised system was set up. County Council and County Borough Council registration offices were closed and transferred to fewer Local Vehicle Licensing Offices (LVLO’s). Thus, Dewsbury’s original HD allocation was first moved to Huddersfield LVLO, then to Leeds in 1984. Since the 2001 restructuring, it has been issued from Bournemouth. There was an excellent book published some years ago by the late Les Newall, “A History of Motor Vehicle Registration in The United Kingdom” , now out of print but which can sometimes be found on ebay. Personally, i think the new system is a bit of a BA57ARD compared to the OLD 1.

The number plate style is a novel way of dodging the autocensor. I like it, very clever, however it does still contravene the rules here, so please don’t make a habit of it.
Thanks newmercman.

Sorry, no offence intended, I’ll consider myself told off!

All is forgiven, as I said, I liked it, quite ingenious and I know it wasn’t a deliberate attempt to flout the rules.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

pete smith:

DEANB:
Is there a website you can use to check where a vehicle was registered ■■

Morning Dean,It is on google somewhere, if you want PM me your email address and I will scan and send you my copy, Cheer’s Pete

Cheers Pete ! :wink:

moomooland:

DEANB:
Is there a website you can use to check where a vehicle was registered

This one comes in quite handy for the old stuff Dean.
For instance clicking on the HD reg of say the Harold Wood tanker pictured below it will give you… ‘the HD series, a series allocated to the Dewsbury area’.

Thanks for the site Paul ! :smiley:

moomooland:
Harold Wood & Sons main depot was on Wormald Street Heckmondwike near Dewsbury which is were this picture was taken.This AEC publicity shot shows one of their brand new AEC 4x2 tractor units shortly after joining the fleet with driver John Stephenson at the wheel.Close behind is one of Harold Woods Mammoth Major’s note the number plate on the AEC had been blanked out as not to date the picture so it could be used over a longer period in AEC publicity material etc at the time.

Nice pic Paul. :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
Just checked this: glad to see that the list in the back of the BRS book I bought for 2/6d in 1963 is still accurate! :sunglasses: Robert

Cheers chap ! :smiley:

JAKEY:
Great photos DEANB, the BRS Foden is a unusual model for BRS to run I think .

I dont know what BRS buying policy was “JAKEY”,but BRS seemed to buy most popular makes back then
looking at the pics. We have had Volvo,Scania,Leyland,Ford,plus others. I would imagine that when they
were looking to replace say 10 motors they simply got about 5 manufacturers to quote roughly the same
spec motors ■■? :unamused: Maybe someone knows on here !

Heres another Foden. :wink:

L0605p.JPG

Ray Smyth:
The single wheels and tyres on the Nacanco trailer would have been more than sufficient to carry a full load of empty tin cans.I recall that Reed Corrugated Cases had some 40ft tandem flat trailers from Fromco in Sussex, which were used to carry pallets of cardboard cartons 2 high, and the load weight was about 8 tons. Their running gear was just like the Nacanco trailer.Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks Ray for confirming what i thought about the Nacanco trailer. :laughing:

fodenway:
You have to remember that there was a big change in registration number allocations in 1974 when the centralised system was set up.

Thanks for your comments “fodenway” so what sit do people use after 1974 ■■? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

oiltreader:
Hi Dean, “You dont see too many coal delivery trucks these days” regular sight in this part of the country, more so just now and the Bedford in the Dando’s ad is 1966 and working Bristol/Toulouse.
Oily

I suppose they are still popular out in the sticks but not too many around towns these days Oily. Nice pic
of the old Bedford chap ! :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
pistonbroke and Dean,
Maybe the firm I’m thinking about wasn’t Dando’s. I seem to recall that they were out in the sticks somewhere between Oldbury and Berkeley if that rings a bell with anyone?

I definately recall a company like you described “ROF”. I either read about it on a thread on here or in a
truck magazine chap. :unamused: :laughing:

Carryfast:

fodenway:
i think the new system is a bit of a BA57ARD compared to the OLD 1.+1 It was bad enough when the had to reverse the year suffix letter to a prefix.
Let alone now I don’t recognise/understand it at all.It looks like a cross between French and Dutch reg so BA57ARD is a good description for it.

:laughing:

oiltreader:
Three of Whitwills with thanks to Paul Townsend for sharing.Oily

:laughing:

Some period adverts.

Click on pages twice to read.

Article that may intrest the Northern drivers.

Click on pages twice to read.

I recommend anyone with an hour to spare to look at the post on “Professional Drivers” forum with the link to the 1979 Winter M62 GMP video. It’s a perfect comparison to these photos and has plenty for us more mature posters to discuss.

Some of the dodgy ones.

Alan Morris Scania

DCP_0509p.JPG

Volvo FM

DCP_0678.JPG

Volvo FL

DCP_0691p.JPG

Bardon DAF

DCP_0720p.JPG

Tom Mitchell’s Mercedes.

DCP_0882p.JPG

Some oldies.

A03267p.JPG

A03742p.JPG

A03743p.JPG

Anyone recognise the F88 ■■

A03674p.JPG

Ferrymasters F7 Volvo

A03395p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Transcon,which looks like hes not hanging around ! The emblem on the
trailer looks familiar ,possibly a middle east haulier ■■

A03349p.JPG

We have had these Fodens on before but i cant remember the company. Cant see anything
securing the load ?

A03389p.JPG

R.E.Shorrock Seddon Atkinson bulker.

A03417p.JPG

M & S Motors DAF parked in Poole.

A03348p.JPG

John Jones & Son Bedford TM

A03423p.JPG

Fibreglass Insulations smart Seddon Atkinson. Nice wheel trims.

A03440p.JPG

Memory Lane Cakes new Marathon.

A03484p.JPG

Initials T.F. on door so i assume Tank Freight ■■

A03478p.JPG

Piston broke:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hiya,I don’t know who Paul Townsend is but he didn’t take the first two shots of Whitwills KWs…I did!! :frowning: ,heres a couple more of LOU 555Y and yes Piston Broke the shot of DHW 665W was parked in Dandos at Sodbury…again another shot of it from the same day.Bubbs.

We have had these Fodens on before but i cant remember the company. Cant see anything
securing the load ?

I believe the Foden artic is one of Coalmoor Refractories from Wellington,Salop area. They used to run a Foden “twin - load” outfit as well.No photo unfortunately.

bubbleman:

Piston broke:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hiya,I don’t know who Paul Townsend is but he didn’t take the first two shots of Whitwills KWs…I did!! :frowning: ,heres a couple more of LOU 555Y and yes Piston Broke the shot of DHW 665W was parked in Dandos at Sodbury…again another shot of it from the same day.Bubbs.

Hi Marcus :smiley: Long time, no see - hope you’re well?

I should have known they would have been your pics mate… It never ceases to amaze me how some can claim credit for other peoples work. I know its been done to death on here before but the lack of consideration, respect and just the bloody cheek of it still makes my teeth itch… The joys of the Tinternet I guess…
Nothing aimed at you, Oily, by the way :slight_smile: You have given credit where it was due, the other guy hasn’t… :imp:

Marc
Was it DHW 665W that Gerry Holmes had? I know the info is on here somewhere but I can’t be arsed to search for it :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Initials T.F. on door so i assume Tank Freight ■■

[/quote]
The Buffalo was owned by Midland Oil Refineries. They had a plant in Ebbw Vale. I was transport Co-coordinator there from 1979 to 1982. Think the driver is Alan Prosser. Unfortunately no longer with us.

Piston broke:

Retired Old ■■■■:
pistonbroke and Dean,

Doesn’t ring any bells with me I’m afraid RoF… I’ve been quite a long time thunking and clunking but haven’t any answers really… The only place I can think of was a yard at Gaunts Earthcott that did an engine rebuild on a Rolls powered ERF in the early eighties, for the firm I worked for at the time… A bloody good job they made of it too - she was better than new when she came back. Always started first piston up and pulled like a train…
There was a firm that used to run some tidy lorries from the same yard but I’m buggered if I can remember the name now!! Merc’s I think…

Bloody useless, me :laughing: :laughing:

There were only a couple of yards at Gaunts Earthcott in the early 80’s Powell’s transport operated from there and also remember Bob Downton can’t remember what he traded as .
The only person I know of rebuilding Volvos in that area was Percy Snow at Easter Compton which wasn’t far from there , still trading as Snows Commercials