PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Thought that it would be Whitecliffe quarry. I once towed one of our S83 Gardner engined tippers based at Kevin quarry there to tip the load off when its ‘percy’ 6LXB decided en route to Cardiff that it didn’t need all six pistons! Quite a drag up the bank from Monmouth to the quarry with one S83 towing another with a dead engine, 50 tonnes total weight but not a problem to Sandbach’s finest. :wink:

Pete.

moomooland:
A00271.JPGThat’s a cracking shot of the Geoffrey Reyner ERF Paul taken in the early days before they got organised and did the Harp Larger job with artics and full size container tanks.
Paul do you have you any on the road shots of W & J Riding Atkinson’s ERF’S or Foden’s by any chance?
A00272.JPG

Thanks for your comments,will let you know about the W & J Riding pics. :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
“Gardner 240” will be happy today a fair few Atkinsons !

Marvellous, thank you :slight_smile:

Midway garage became Hills’ depot at Wigan, near the beanery

:confused:

I thought you would like those ! :smiley:

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Now there’s a blast from the past. Circa 1973 northbound to Glasgow. M6 just past Southwaite Services I overtook two Midway AEC Mammoth Major Mk.III eight-wheelers, exposed radiators, so early 1950s models probably. They were fully freighted with sacks of flour plodding along doing a steady 40 mph. It was one of those enduring sights that has stuck with me all these years. Two old lorries well out of their time. If only I’d had a camera…

I think we all wish we had taken our cameras “gingerfold” :slight_smile:

BonkeyDollocks:

DEANB:

BonkeyDollocks:
Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

How about this one then “BonkeyDollocks” ! :laughing:

A00271.JPG

Bloody hell. That’s sheer quarry wagon ■■■■! :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Here’s a statement from a Hoveringham historian regarding the whereabouts of the Tilcon and Hoveringham quarries:

“Hoveringham Stone - Stowfield Quarry and Tilcon White Cliffe Quarry next door…A40 was their route too & from their main market.”

And here’s a pic of the quarries side by side:

I thought you would like that pic ! I have just looked through the pics and there are loads more of
Tilcon,Hoveringham and ARC still to come ! :wink:

windrush:
Thought that it would be Whitecliffe quarry. I once towed one of our S83 Gardner engined tippers based at Kevin quarry there to tip the load off when its ‘percy’ 6LXB decided en route to Cardiff that it didn’t need all six pistons! Quite a drag up the bank from Monmouth to the quarry with one S83 towing another with a dead engine, 50 tonnes total weight but not a problem to Sandbach’s finest. :wink:

Pete.

Thanks Pete , i bet that was fun to stop !! :smiley:

Guy big J .

A00263.JPG

Crusaders, were more popular than i remember !

A00264.JPG

88 looks new.

A00265.JPG

Day cab marathon

A00267.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

A00266.JPG

Foden looks like its seen some life.

A00268.JPG

MAN

A00269.JPG

Rare bonneted merc.

A00270.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

A00271.JPG

F88

A00272.JPG

These pics are really turning up some old beauties r nessbert sed ak college road Whitchurch Cardiff I’m hooked regards rowly

rward:
These pics are really turning up some old beauties r nessbert sed ak college road Whitchurch Cardiff I’m hooked regards rowly

Rowley think there are many of us also hooked and me I look in at least twice a day just in the hope one of my oldun’s will feature on this thread, regards Buzzer.

Has anyone else noticed how small the mirrors were back in the 70s.

Crusader

AW130123.JPG

Mercedes from the same company as the Crusader.

AW190124.JPG

Bus, dont know the make ■■ Look at the size of the side door !

AW190125.JPG

ERF

AW210126.JPG

Heavy haulier 88

AW210127.JPG

F88

AW210128.JPG

Hat-trick of 88s :laughing:

AW210129.JPG

Atkinson

AW250130.JPG

ERF tanker.

AW250131.JPG

F86

AW250132.JPG

D & A-001.JPGAn M reg Atki Borderer operated by D & A Transport Ltd from Longton Lancashire, aka Doris & Albert.

moomooland:
0One of D & A Transport Ltd from Longton Lancashire, aka Doris & Albert.
Does anyone know the exact location these pictures were taken?
Looking at the bus operated by Alder Valley i presume its either in Berkshire, Hampshire or Surrey

X marks the spot ,see page 7 .

Buzzer hope your 88 turns up I still say one of the best coulers regards rowly

I guess all the scrap tippers :smiley: would of been going to or coming from sharpness ?

Alder Valley was the amalgamation of the old Thames Valley Traction Company and Aldershot and District, my father drove for them at the Reading depot… The bus is an ex A&D Dennis Loline, similar to the Thames Valley Traction Bristols, but Bristols could only be purchased by National companies (like Thames Valley and BRS etc) so Dennis made a rather poor substitute for private buyers. Reading Corporation Transport had a fleet of them as well.

Pete.

240 Gardner:

rward:
The White 88 with red stripes was ex import Cardiff anyone remember them regards rowly

At Rhymney, weren’t they, with a depot in the Warrington area, and later in a white & pale yellow livery?

I had a driver at Bowker, who told me that Ex-Import was owned by his brother

240 Gardner, and Rowly. Yes Rowly I remember ex-import they were based off Newport Rd late 80s with a number of F7s.
That may well of been a Rumney Cardiff address 240, not Rhymney Heads of the Valley. The Rhymney river passes through there before hitting the sea.
Lots of South Wales motors heading to the midlands, including Bass Charrington probably out of Abertillary heading to Burton on Trent. Iirc the Double Diamond Crusader was out of Caerphilly.
Holmans, Birds, Nesbitts, Tim Price and Wm Morgan to name a few!

Waiting to see one or two of my families motors, along with Rhymney Traffic Services Marathons pulling tipping trailers.
Myself and one other Rhymney boy on here.

Great stuff. Thanks again Paul and Dean

Punchy Dan:

moomooland:
0One of D & A Transport Ltd from Longton Lancashire, aka Doris & Albert.
Does anyone know the exact location these pictures were taken?
Looking at the bus operated by Alder Valley i presume its either in Berkshire, Hampshire or Surrey

X marks the spot ,see page 7 .

Dan,
Its Ross on Wye by-pass mate in that pic by where the 1st island is now as you come off the M50 heading south

Punchy Dan:
I guess all the scrap tippers :smiley: would of been going to or coming from sharpness ?

Anyone of the numerous steel works that we’re still open at that time Dan I reckon,

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:

Anyone of the numerous steel works that we’re still open at that time Dan I reckon,

Could be some real good ones to come then , :smiley:

pete smith:
Dan,
Its Ross on Wye by-pass mate in that pic by where the 1st island is now as you come off the M50 heading south

Thanks Dan you beat me to it i zoomed in on a couple of the pictures and could see the A40 Monmoth and Hereford sign.

Ran up & down there almost every week in the late 70’s early 80’s to South Wales in a Remploy draw-bar outfit.

DEANB:

kevmac47:

jshepguis:
Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

Gil Carlisle is a great friend of mine, I was talking to him just last Friday( his 70th birthday). He was due to go back to work today after his second knee replacement op.
That 1418 was his first new tractor unit, he ran it to Spain for quite a long time. He packed in as a haulier in 2012, (the same time as I did,) but like a lot of us took a job immediately, I did the same but l only worked full time for another year. I will ring him tomorrow and tell him about the photo. I was actually hoping for a shot of one of my motors when I found this. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Thanks for the comments Kev ! What was your company called ■■? :wink:

rward:
The White 88 with red stripes was ex import Cardiff anyone remember them regards rowly

Thanks Rowly for the information. :sunglasses:

ERF

Foden tanker.

F88

Irish Berliet

Very tidy 88, looks like a P6 Rover going the other way ?

Atkinson

DAF

Atkinson, looks freshly painted.

Another Atkinson,looks heavy with steel.

Ford draw-bar.

Dean, in the 70s I worked for Waugh Transport of Newcastle. Like a lot of older members on TNUK I keep hoping to find a motor I drove on this excellent time warp thread. :smiley: :smiley: . Atkinson Borderer, NTY683M. Then Mercedes 1418. How I hated that bloody merc!!! :smiley: Regards Kev.

moomooland:
0An M reg Atki Borderer operated by D & A Transport Ltd from Longton Lancashire, aka Doris & Albert.

Beat me to it, Paul! They really were called Doris & Albert, but I forget their surname now :unamused:

Paul John:

240 Gardner:

rward:

At Rhymney, weren’t they, with a depot in the Warrington area, and later in a white & pale yellow livery?

I had a driver at Bowker, who told me that Ex-Import was owned by his brother

240 Gardner, and Rowly. Yes Rowly I remember ex-import they were based off Newport Rd late 80s with a number of F7s.
That may well of been a Rumney Cardiff address 240, not Rhymney Heads of the Valley. The Rhymney river passes through there before hitting the sea.

Thanks for that - I do remember them having F7s - I was right about the white and pale yellow livery? I’m trying to remember where their northern depot was - somewhere around Warrington, I think.

And I should have googled before:

Ex-Import Transport (GB) Limited
Waters Edge Industrial Estate
Rumney River Bridge Road
Cardiff
South Glam

windrush:
Alder Valley was the amalgamation of the old Thames Valley Traction Company and Aldershot and District, my father drove for them at the Reading depot… The bus is an ex A&D Dennis Loline, similar to the Thames Valley Traction Bristols, but Bristols could only be purchased by National companies (like Thames Valley and BRS etc) so Dennis made a rather poor substitute for private buyers. Reading Corporation Transport had a fleet of them as well.

Pete.

The Loline was a licence-built version of the Lodekka, built to enable non-THC companies to have them. They enabled a’ “low bridge” overall height without having to resort to sunken gangways, offset seats and reduced capacity upstairs, and pre-dated Leyland’s competitor, the Albion Lowlander, by a few years.

I travelled to school on a Leyland-engined Loline for a couple of years, and it was pretty agricultural when compared to the Atlanteans operated locally by Ribble

The Alder Valley bus was a long way from home, in Ross!

DEANB:

moomooland:
1That’s a cracking shot of the Geoffrey Reyner ERF Paul taken in the early days before they got organised and did the Harp Larger job with artics and full size container tanks.
**Paul do you have you any on the road shots of W & J Riding Atkinson’s ERF’S or Foden’s by any chance?**0

Thanks for your comments,will let you know about the W & J Riding pics. :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

:confused:

I thought you would like those ! :smiley:

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Now there’s a blast from the past. Circa 1973 northbound to Glasgow. M6 just past Southwaite Services I overtook two Midway AEC Mammoth Major Mk.III eight-wheelers, exposed radiators, so early 1950s models probably. They were fully freighted with sacks of flour plodding along doing a steady 40 mph. It was one of those enduring sights that has stuck with me all these years. Two old lorries well out of their time. If only I’d had a camera…

I think we all wish we had taken our cameras “gingerfold” :slight_smile:

BonkeyDollocks:

DEANB:

BonkeyDollocks:
Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

How about this one then “BonkeyDollocks” ! :laughing:

Bloody hell. That’s sheer quarry wagon ■■■■! :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Here’s a statement from a Hoveringham historian regarding the whereabouts of the Tilcon and Hoveringham quarries:

“Hoveringham Stone - Stowfield Quarry and Tilcon White Cliffe Quarry next door…A40 was their route too & from their main market.”

And here’s a pic of the quarries side by side:

I thought you would like that pic ! I have just looked through the pics and there are loads more of
Tilcon,Hoveringham and ARC still to come ! :wink:

Like it■■?!!! I thought it was chuffing fantastic! As for what’s still to come, I await with bated breath! :sunglasses: