PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

240 Gardner:

windrush:
Alder Valley was the amalgamation of the old Thames Valley Traction Company and Aldershot and District, my father drove for them at the Reading depot… The bus is an ex A&D Dennis Loline, similar to the Thames Valley Traction Bristols, but Bristols could only be purchased by National companies (like Thames Valley and BRS etc) so Dennis made a rather poor substitute for private buyers. Reading Corporation Transport had a fleet of them as well.

Pete.

The Loline was a licence-built version of the Lodekka, built to enable non-THC companies to have them. They enabled a’ “low bridge” overall height without having to resort to sunken gangways, offset seats and reduced capacity upstairs, and pre-dated Leyland’s competitor, the Albion Lowlander, by a few years.

I travelled to school on a Leyland-engined Loline for a couple of years, and it was pretty agricultural when compared to the Atlanteans operated locally by Ribble

The Alder Valley bus was a long way from home, in Ross!

W Alexander & Sons had two Bristols at their Grangemouth Depot late '50s, I did a shift in one and found it awful compared to the AEC Regent pre-selectors or Leyland Titans, it was newish so a bit stiff and the steering wheel rake didn’t help with the heavy steering. The low height was acheived with an offset prop and diff.
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … redesigned
Oily

rward:
These pics are really turning up some old beauties r nessbert sed ak college road Whitchurch Cardiff I’m hooked regards rowly

Thanks Rowly , Paul will be chuffed that they are bringing back so many memories ! There are lots
more Welsh trucks to come ! :wink:

Buzzer:

rward:
These pics are really turning up some old beauties r nessbert sed ak college road Whitchurch Cardiff I’m hooked regards rowly

Rowley think there are many of us also hooked and me I look in at least twice a day just in the hope one of my oldun’s will feature on this thread, regards Buzzer.

Buzzer, I am sure a few of yours will eventually turn up chap. ! :smiley:

moomooland:
An M reg Atki Borderer operated by D & A Transport Ltd from Longton Lancashire, aka Doris & Albert.

Thanks for your input Paul ! :smiley:

windrush:
Alder Valley was the amalgamation of the old Thames Valley Traction Company and Aldershot and District, my father drove for them at the Reading depot… The bus is an ex A&D Dennis Loline, similar to the Thames Valley Traction Bristols, but Bristols could only be purchased by National companies (like Thames Valley and BRS etc) so Dennis made a rather poor substitute for private buyers. Reading Corporation Transport had a fleet of them as well.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, Dont know my buses,but could not believe the size of the side door looks massive ! :smiley:

Paul John:

240 Gardner:

rward:
The White 88 with red stripes was ex import Cardiff anyone remember them regards rowly

At Rhymney, weren’t they, with a depot in the Warrington area, and later in a white & pale yellow livery?

I had a driver at Bowker, who told me that Ex-Import was owned by his brother

240 Gardner, and Rowly. Yes Rowly I remember ex-import they were based off Newport Rd late 80s with a number of F7s.
That may well of been a Rumney Cardiff address 240, not Rhymney Heads of the Valley. The Rhymney river passes through there before hitting the sea.
Lots of South Wales motors heading to the midlands, including Bass Charrington probably out of Abertillary heading to Burton on Trent. Iirc the Double Diamond Crusader was out of Caerphilly.
Holmans, Birds, Nesbitts, Tim Price and Wm Morgan to name a few!

Waiting to see one or two of my families motors, along with Rhymney Traffic Services Marathons pulling tipping trailers.
Myself and one other Rhymney boy on here.

Great stuff. Thanks again Paul and Dean

Thanks for your comments Paul, loads more Welsh trucks to come !
What were your familys firm called ■■ :wink:

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:
I guess all the scrap tippers :smiley: would of been going to or coming from sharpness ?

Anyone of the numerous steel works that we’re still open at that time Dan I reckon,

Cheers Pete ! :wink:

Punchy Dan:

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:
I guess all the scrap tippers :smiley: would of been going to or coming from sharpness ?

Anyone of the numerous steel works that we’re still open at that time Dan I reckon,

Could be some real good ones to come then , :smiley:

“Punchy Dan” Yes plenty of good ones still to come. Bearing in mind these pics were taken about
40 years ago and the trucks are on the move. I have some were the trucks are parked up and the
detail is amazing,and in my opinion the black and white ones are better than the colour ones for
detail. :smiley:

kevmac47:

DEANB:

kevmac47:

jshepguis:
Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

Gil Carlisle is a great friend of mine, I was talking to him just last Friday( his 70th birthday). He was due to go back to work today after his second knee replacement op.
That 1418 was his first new tractor unit, he ran it to Spain for quite a long time. He packed in as a haulier in 2012, (the same time as I did,) but like a lot of us took a job immediately, I did the same but l only worked full time for another year. I will ring him tomorrow and tell him about the photo. I was actually hoping for a shot of one of my motors when I found this. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Thanks for the comments Kev ! What was your company called ■■? :wink:

rward:
The White 88 with red stripes was ex import Cardiff anyone remember them regards rowly

Thanks Rowly for the information. :sunglasses:

Dean, in the 70s I worked for Waugh Transport of Newcastle. Like a lot of older members on TNUK I keep hoping to find a motor I drove on this excellent time warp thread. :smiley: :smiley: . Atkinson Borderer, NTY683M. Then Mercedes 1418. How I hated that bloody merc!!! :smiley: Regards Kev.

Ok Kev, did you come down South much ? :smiley:

240 Gardner:

moomooland:
An M reg Atki Borderer operated by D & A Transport Ltd from Longton Lancashire, aka Doris & Albert.

Beat me to it, Paul! They really were called Doris & Albert, but I forget their surname now :unamused:

Strange name Doris & Albert ? :laughing: :smiley:

240 Gardner:

windrush:

Pete.

The Loline was a licence-built version of the Lodekka, built to enable non-THC companies to have them. They enabled a’ “low bridge” overall height without having to resort to sunken gangways, offset seats and reduced capacity upstairs, and pre-dated Leyland’s competitor, the Albion Lowlander, by a few years.

I travelled to school on a Leyland-engined Loline for a couple of years, and it was pretty agricultural when compared to the Atlanteans operated locally by Ribble

Thanks for your comments again “240 Gardner” :wink:

BonkeyDollocks:

DEANB:

moomooland:
That’s a cracking shot of the Geoffrey Reyner ERF Paul taken in the early days before they got organised and did the Harp Larger job with artics and full size container tanks.
Paul do you have you any on the road shots of W & J Riding Atkinson’s ERF’S or Foden’s by any chance?

Thanks for your comments,will let you know about the W & J Riding pics. :wink:

How about this one then “BonkeyDollocks” ! :laughing:

Bloody hell. That’s sheer quarry wagon ■■■■! :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Here’s a statement from a Hoveringham historian regarding the whereabouts of the Tilcon and Hoveringham quarries:

“Hoveringham Stone - Stowfield Quarry and Tilcon White Cliffe Quarry next door…A40 was their route too & from their main market.”

And here’s a pic of the quarries side by side:

I thought you would like that pic ! I have just looked through the pics and there are loads more of
Tilcon,Hoveringham and ARC still to come ! :wink:

Like it■■?!!! I thought it was chuffing fantastic! As for what’s still to come, I await with bated breath! :sunglasses:
[/quote]
“Quarry wagon ■■■■” :unamused: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

oiltreader:

240 Gardner:

windrush:

Pete.

W Alexander & Sons had two Bristols at their Grangemouth Depot late '50s, I did a shift in one and found it awful compared to the AEC Regent pre-selectors or Leyland Titans, it was newish so a bit stiff and the steering wheel rake didn’t help with the heavy steering. The low height was acheived with an offset prop and diff.
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … redesigned
Oily

Thanks Oily for your input ! :smiley:

Who remember when the roads were like this ? :laughing: Wish they were like that today instead of bloody
grid lock everywhere ! :cry:

AY01.JPG

AY02.JPG

AY07.JPG

AY08.JPG

Todays trucks

MAN

AW250133.JPG

Foden

AW250134.JPG

F88 & F86

AW250135.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

AW310136.JPG

Leyland with a michelin man,dont really see them now !

AW310137.JPG

Tilcon Foden

AW330126.JPG

F86 tanker

AW330127.JPG

Foden

AW330128.JPG

F88 with lift up axle.

AW330129.JPG

Scania

AX31.JPG

Leyland or AEC ■■ Can you tell which from a side shot ■■?

A00273.JPG

Spanish Dodge

A00274.JPG

Scania 81

A00275.JPG

Seddon Atkinson, think its a 201 from memory ?

A00276.JPG

Scania looks new

A00277.JPG

Well loaded Seddon Atkinson

A00278.JPG

Foden has a few battle scars.

A00279.JPG

Another well loaded Seddon.

A00280.JPG

Ford Transcon

A00281.JPG

MAN

A00282.JPG

Hi Dean thanks for posting all the photos,i saw the ICI Crusader tanker on page 2 and thought jeez that could be me driving that.We had a regular run to Sully,S Wales taking Vynyl Chloride gas to ICI and BP.Good old days. Cheers TED.

If I’m being honest Dean I love looking at all the pics not just the quarry tippers. There’s something in them all and it’s amazing how much the haulage scene has changed in the 40 or so years since the photos were taken. These days you’d have to be a true die hard to stand at the side of the road taking pics of the modern rubbish that hauls our goods up and down. The pics stand as true testaments to the lorries and drivers that did the job back then.

Of course we’re all indebted to Paul for taking the pics and allowing them to be uploaded and thanks also to yourself Dean for taking the time to scan and post them! :smiley:

As I’ve previously said the tippers are my main interest but alongside ‘thelongdrag’ I also love the Derbyshire lorries of which I’ve spotted R Hansons from Chapel en le frith, E Stead from Buxton, BJ Waters from Darley Dale, Sellers and Kent from Ilam and WH Phillips from Wirksworth. It’s also great to see others I remember seeing as a kid, companies like GR Stein, British Salt, Walshs from Haslington and of course all the Tilcon, Hoveringham and Amey Roadstone tippers.

The thread has been going barely three weeks but it’s already a firm favourite with so many!
All that’s left for me to say is very well done chaps and we all look forward to seeing whatever treasures pop up next. :slight_smile:

Hey Bonkey with all these Derbyshire tippers coming through we may eventually get one of Biestys Scammells (fingers crossed)

I agree with everybody who comments about how good these photos are and how it takes everybody backs to times gone by. I also think that with todays lorries, and i think more importantly usually coupled to curtainside/container trailers that they all look pretty much the same and box like. Where as on a lot of these photo,s you actually see the diversity of loads carried on a daily basis, even down to the brewery artics with sheeted loads of barrels.
So i think there are more interesting shapes to look at, and they just seem to have more character to them. Thanks once again for the time and effort being put in, i know we all appreciate it.

DEANB:
Leyland or AEC ■■ Can you tell which from a side shot ■■?Leyland Buffalo Fixed Head 510 Engine

Aha think this picture of Fluen’s was a company based in Andover IIRC, Buzzer.

AY01.JPG

Great seddon Atkis loaded with coke probably from bedwas at that time ,come on Pete smith who’s is the artic ? I think I know . Funny how 8 wheeler axle spacings are the opersite way now compared to the waters one .

Really excellent South Wales stuff …thanks DEAN …that Entrees F86 loaded with carbon black tote bins is a gem …My father tells me they were up and down that stretch of the M50 for the Firestone tyre plant at Wolverhampton …another gem is F86 6 wheeler with a coil of Fred Bouldry …he had some very early F86 units …can just remember R J Browns Transcon …Geraint .

Stanfield:
Hey Bonkey with all these Derbyshire tippers coming through we may eventually get one of Biestys Scammells (fingers crossed)

You never know Stanny lad! Would be perfection if one did pop up! Highly doubt it though as I don’t think they did distance work (unless they delivered cutback to a depot in the area)

Every chance of seeing a Staveley Lime tanker though! :wink:

We had the Transcon on hire a few times as we We’re next door to them r j Bowns were a great bunch of guys regards rowly

BonkeyDollocks:

Stanfield:

You never know Stanny lad! Would be perfection if one did pop up! Highly doubt it though as I don’t think they did distance work (unless they delivered cutback to a depot in the area)

Is that John Biesty ■■? :unamused:

A few of the old Severn Bridge.

AY29.JPG

AY30.JPG

AY0032.JPG

AY0033.JPG

AY0034.JPG

AY0035.JPG

AY0036.JPG

DEANB:

BonkeyDollocks:

Stanfield:

Bonkey
They did a bit before Staveley took them over,especially when moving road salt & coal.

Is that John Biesty ■■? :unamused:

It certainly is Dean they ran a few Scammell Routeman 8 wheeler tippers and Albion Reivers 6 wheeler s during the 60/70s

Dean/Paul,
This is a Leyland Buffalo and probably based at Smiths Albion Flour Mills In Walsall, I think they ran 5 from there eventually replacing one with a F86 and the rest with F7’s and they kept one Buffalo for shunting duties, thank you Gents for jogging the memory!

A00273.JPG

Kin hell, move 2 pictures down and one of Mervyn Applebys Sed Atki’s probably supplied by Rylands and salesman may have been our dearly departed friend Saviem, Thanks again,

A00278.JPG

toxic gas man:
Hi Dean thanks for posting all the photos,i saw the ICI Crusader tanker on page 2 and thought jeez that could be me driving that.We had a regular run to Sully,S Wales taking Vynyl Chloride gas to ICI and BP.Good old days. Cheers TED.

Hello Ted, Thanks for your comments ! Heres another one. :wink:

A00417.JPG