PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Scania, with an unusual tanker trailer.

A00243.JPG

Leyland looks new.

A00244.JPG

F86

A00245.JPG

I remember Howard’s are they still going ? Cant remember seeing one for years ?

A00246.JPG

ERF tanker.

A00247.JPG

Foden tanker.

A00248.JPG

Volvo F88

A00249.JPG

Tidy ERF

A00250.JPG

Another ERF

A00251.JPG

MAN

A00252.JPG

pv83:
Cracking set of pic’s once again!

About that low loader, 4 in line with a knock out axle…

Cheers Patrick ! :wink:

5thwheel:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Suedehead:

DEANB:
DAF 2800 ? Bedford TK in the distance ,whats the car ■■

Scammell,think its a Handyman ■■

Leyland, Unispeed on the headboard. Were they a hire company or part of Birds Eye ■■

ERF

I like the looks of these Fodens.

Atkinson,looks like its got a problem at the back ? Looks seriously heavy on the back end or
maybe a spring or something gone ■■

Lloyds of Ludlow.

Suttons ERF

Guy big J

Irish Merc. Is that a Jag or Daimler ■■

Cant wait for Bewicks comment on the sheeting “skills” of the Guy driver :neutral_face:

Well the photo says it all, Its Arse about ■■■, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Regards Larry.

That Guy was painted canary yellow,owned by the Post Office,and powered by a Rolls engine.

Well done again DEAN,a very popular thread,reminding all old 'uns of the many varied transport companies there were during those times.

David

Thanks David for the information ! :smiley:

Some period adverts.(Clik on pages twice to read)

CB’s were popular back in the 1970’s.

jshepguis:
Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

Gil Carlisle is a great friend of mine, I was talking to him just last Friday( his 70th birthday). He was due to go back to work today after his second knee replacement op.
That 1418 was his first new tractor unit, he ran it to Spain for quite a long time. He packed in as a haulier in 2012, (the same time as I did,) but like a lot of us took a job immediately, I did the same but l only worked full time for another year. I will ring him tomorrow and tell him about the photo. I was actually hoping for a shot of one of my motors when I found this. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

The White 88 with red stripes was ex import Cardiff anyone remember them regards rowly

Hi Kev, I was starting to think that you had become a Monk, Its nice to see you back on line my friend, Hoos ya taste buds deing, Im having a large Glenmorangie at this very moment, So I will toast your very good health, & Hopefully yours taste buds are ready for some real action Eh, BUSHMILLS, I hope this gets you going, I hope you are keeping well IE Randy as a Butchers Dog comes to mind, Dying of thirst of course, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Kev, I was starting to think that you had become a Monk, Its nice to see you back on line my friend, Hoos ya taste buds deing, Im having a large Glenmorangie at this very moment, So I will toast your very good health, & Hopefully yours taste buds are ready for some real action Eh, BUSHMILLS, I hope this gets you going, I hope you are keeping well IE Randy as a Butchers Dog comes to mind, Dying of thirst of course, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

I’m great Larry, I hope your ok? this is a great thread, certainly gets the memory banks working. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

I’m great Larry, I hope your ok? this is a great thread, certainly gets the memory banks working. Regards Kev.

Im Feeling great Kev Ive just had a few Malts to keep me breathing, &I do hope to hope to wake up in the morning feeling very Stiff I do but not where I would like it to be.This getting old bit is rubbish, Everyone thinks when you get old, That is the younger ones off course, Say your time is up so whats your problem, I say Im not ready to go yet So ■■■■ right off & do try & have a good day ,Thats if you know what a good day is Regards Larry

kevmac47:

jshepguis:
Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

Gil Carlisle is a great friend of mine, I was talking to him just last Friday( his 70th birthday). He was due to go back to work today after his second knee replacement op.
That 1418 was his first new tractor unit, he ran it to Spain for quite a long time. He packed in as a haulier in 2012, (the same time as I did,) but like a lot of us took a job immediately, I did the same but l only worked full time for another year. I will ring him tomorrow and tell him about the photo. I was actually hoping for a shot of one of my motors when I found this. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Thanks for the comments Kev ! What was your company called ■■? :wink:

rward:
The White 88 with red stripes was ex import Cardiff anyone remember them regards rowly

Thanks Rowly for the information. :sunglasses:

“Gardner 240” will be happy today a fair few Atkinsons !

ERF

A00253.JPG

Foden tanker.

A00254.JPG

F88

A00255.JPG

Irish Berliet

A00256.JPG

Very tidy 88, looks like a P6 Rover going the other way ?

A00257.JPG

Atkinson

A00258.JPG

DAF

A00259.JPG

Atkinson, looks freshly painted.

A00260.JPG

Another Atkinson,looks heavy with steel.

A00261.JPG

Ford draw-bar.

A00262.JPG

Tidy Foden heavy haulier.

AW070113.JPG

DAF

AW070114.JPG

Spanish Dodge

AW070115.JPG

Volvo F88

AW070116.JPG

Volvo F86

AW070117.JPG

Foden

AW130118.JPG

Tidy Leyland

AW130119.JPG

F88

AW130120.JPG

Ford transcon

AW130121.JPG

Crusader

AW130122.JPG

I like the N & J Bailey of Biddulph ERF, a nice clean vehicle, nothing flash or overstated, and a well sheeted load. A credit to the firm and the driver. In fact it reminds me of another company with red lorries…where were they from…Kendal or somewhere? :question: :question: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

How many sheets do the roping and sheeting experts reckon were on the Mike Prosser DAF load? The most I ever used was 4, but I think there could be 5 on that.

gingerfold:
I like the N & J Bailey of Biddulph ERF, a nice clean vehicle, nothing flash or overstated, and a well sheeted load. A credit to the firm and the driver. In fact it reminds me of another company with red lorries…where were they from…Kendal or somewhere? :question: :question: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

How many sheets do the roping and sheeting experts reckon were on the Mike Prosser DAF load? The most I ever used was 4, but I think there could be 5 on that.

I echo your comments exactly “GF” the Bailey motor is a credit to the Driver and the firm but unfortunately the Prosser DAF is a bad example of the craft and it is probably a good job it wasn’t raining as that “gathering” of sheets look life expired to me ! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

gingerfold:

I agree “gingerfold” very tidy ERF and load. Thanks for the comments ! :wink:

Bewick:

gingerfold:

I echo your comments exactly “GF” the Bailey motor is a credit to the Driver and the firm but unfortunately the Prosser DAF is a bad example of the craft and it is probably a good job it wasn’t raining as that “gathering” of sheets look life expired to me ! Cheers Dennis. :wink:
[/quote

I have been wondering when you might comment on some of the sheeting in the photos Dennis ! :smiley:
Thanks for the pic and comments !

Some period adverts.(Click on them twice to read.)

[attachment=8]

allison.jpg[/attachment]

BonkeyDollocks:
Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

How about this one then “BonkeyDollocks” ! :laughing:

BF0020.JPG

G.Reyner Manchester-001.JPGThat’s a cracking shot of the Geoffrey Reyner ERF Paul taken in the early days before they got organised and did the Harp Larger job with artics and full size container tanks.
Paul do you have you any on the road shots of W & J Riding Atkinson’s ERF’S or Foden’s by any chance?

“Piston broke” Paul i think this is another shot of your motor ?

A00359.JPG

rward:

At Rhymney, weren’t they, with a depot in the Warrington area, and later in a white & pale yellow livery?

I had a driver at Bowker, who told me that Ex-Import was owned by his brother

DEANB:

Marvellous, thank you :slight_smile:

Midway garage became Hills’ depot at Wigan, near the beanery

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Marvellous, thank you :slight_smile:

Midway garage became Hills’ depot at Wigan, near the beanery

Now there’s a blast from the past. Circa 1973 northbound to Glasgow. M6 just past Southwaite Services I overtook two Midway AEC Mammoth Major Mk.III eight-wheelers, exposed radiators, so early 1950s models probably. They were fully freighted with sacks of flour plodding along doing a steady 40 mph. It was one of those enduring sights that has stuck with me all these years. Two old lorries well out of their time. If only I’d had a camera…

DEANB:

BonkeyDollocks:
Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

How about this one then “BonkeyDollocks” ! :laughing:

Bloody hell. That’s sheer quarry wagon ■■■■! :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Here’s a statement from a Hoveringham historian regarding the whereabouts of the Tilcon and Hoveringham quarries:

“Hoveringham Stone - Stowfield Quarry and Tilcon White Cliffe Quarry next door…A40 was their route too & from their main market.”

And here’s a pic of the quarries side by side: