Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

But wtf did he get the rope on in the first place?

Buzzer:
More on the Agricultural front this is a rare tractor with only 5 made between 1978/9, the Universal wheel tractor from the “IIyich” tractor plant St Petersburg it had a four speed transmission and a V12 YH2 engine which it says produced 8403 hp but that sounds a bit strong to me, Cheers Buzzer.

In regard to the size and year of construction, I’d say around 300 bhp. In the seventies, the Russians and “satellit countries” manufactured quite modern tractors with vast comfortable cabs compared to the West European and American productions.

Buzzer:
Hanging by a thread, not sure I would like to exit the cab like that what if the rope is thirty feet short, Buzzer

Looks like a Hungarian or Czech built truck.

peterm:

Passenger footwell, of course! That’s where I kept mine :wink:

peterm:

To be fair most British trucks pulling tilts in the 80’s & 90s all carried a rope to aid pulling the tilt sheet up to load and unload, Buzzer

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Hanging by a thread, not sure I would like to exit the cab like that what if the rope is thirty feet short, Buzzer

Looks like a Hungarian or Czech built truck.

Skoda Liaz youtube.com/watch?v=jMW6uhLNv3M
Oily

Ray Smyth:
A busy scene at the Mersey Tunnel in Liverpool in the 1960s. About to disappear down the tunnel is what
looks like a Ranks 8 wheeler flour bulker on its way to Rank Hovis flour mill at Birkenhead. A rigid flat
carrying an insulated container, and a car transporter are at the toll booths, and a Bedford van that looks
like one of many that were in the fleet of W, H, Smith ( Transport ) on contract to the Liverpool Echo.
I cant identify the artic with the sheeted load.

The tunnel was built with 4 lanes, 2 each way, but during peak times, the traffic in the morning busy period
was 3 lanes from Birkenhead, and just one lane the other way. This picture shows the evening peak period
with Birkenhead bound traffic using 3 lanes, and just 1 lane of traffic exiting the tunnel.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

Hi Ray, the unit pulling the sheeted load a Maggie Deutz?
Oily

oiltreader:

Ray Smyth:
A busy scene at the Mersey Tunnel in Liverpool in the 1960s. About to disappear down the tunnel is what
looks like a Ranks 8 wheeler flour bulker on its way to Rank Hovis flour mill at Birkenhead. A rigid flat
carrying an insulated container, and a car transporter are at the toll booths, and a Bedford van that looks
like one of many that were in the fleet of W, H, Smith ( Transport ) on contract to the Liverpool Echo.

The tunnel was built with 4 lanes, 2 each way, but during peak times, the traffic in the morning busy period
was 3 lanes from Birkenhead, and just one lane the other way. This picture shows the evening peak period
with Birkenhead bound traffic using 3 lanes, and just 1 lane of traffic exiting the tunnel.

Oily

I’d be surprised if it were a Maggie Deutz, I think the photo pre-dates their arrival in the UK. All the Ranks Fodens with Simon-Duramin bulk bodies, which is one of those in the tunnel entrance, had been retired by 1970-71.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Magirus were around in the UK in the sixties Graham. archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -standards

Pete.

gingerfold:

oiltreader:

Ray Smyth:

Oily

I’d be surprised if it were a Maggie Deutz, I think the photo pre-dates their arrival in the UK. All the Ranks Fodens with Simon-Duramin bulk bodies, which is one of those in the tunnel entrance, had been retired by 1970-71.

Hi gingerfold, my recollection of early MD in the UK was Entress of Swansea having them in the '60s en route South Wales to London along the A40, similar to the model in the picture, a D reg '66. A new UK MD factory archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … tory-in-uk
Oily
Edit Better still I’ve found a Entress MD.na3t.org/road/photo/CX00319

Magisus Deutz off Pinterest 21f1b1b301dce9e1b51b35e5dc7e5392.jpg

Now then, now then is this an Atki with a homebrew sleeper cab or what, anyone know the company ? Buzzer

Another fleet line up, Buzzer

The mystery artic on its way into the Mersey Tunnel is nothing more exotic than a good old Ford D Series and likely a D1000, its pulling a York trailer or at least a trailer make that uses the same York style hexagon cutout chassis frame. Compare the cab size to the Ergo unit on the far left of the picture and the guy riding the bike nearby. Franky.

Frankydobo:
The mystery artic on its way into the Mersey Tunnel is nothing more exotic than a good old Ford D Series and likely a D1000, its pulling a York trailer or at least a trailer make that uses the same York style hexagon cutout chassis frame. Compare the cab size to the Ergo unit on the far left of the picture and the guy riding the bike nearby. Franky.

I stand corrected by Oily and Pete as to the date of Deutz appearing in the UK, and now it’s mentioned I remember the Entress ones. Franky has nailed the answer; it’s a Ford

"8 May 1985
A34, The Common, Stafford, Staffs, Eng
VTL 636K , AEC Matador, 4x4, in showland
service with American Circus.

gingerfold:

Frankydobo:

I stand corrected by Oily and Pete as to the date of Deutz appearing in the UK, and now it’s mentioned I remember the Entress ones. Franky has nailed the answer; it’s a Ford

Round fuel tank on the Entress photo.na3t.org/road/photo/CX0031 to match the one in Ray’s photo, Ford D1000 from what I can see had a square fuel tank, also cab rear window difference, MD 1pce, Ford 3pce.
Oily

Yes I’ve had another closer look after resizing the photo and it doesn’t appear to be a Ford, too much space between front wing and drivers window, the tank now I can see it better is round with a high filler, the cab shape at the front does seem flatter than a Maggy Deutz 200D too but this might just be the quality of the photo. Seems Oily has nailed this after all. Franky.

Found this picture and the same happened to a mate of mine in the late 60s when on his way home from a night out in Bournemouth he was coming out of Lyndhurst at a rate of knots and lost a front wheel, it overtook him and hit a kerb and bounced over a garden fence, he managed to call me but I was fast asleep in bed but turned out to assist. There we were at 2am searching the under growth of the garden when the woman in the house appeared at an upstairs window and wanted to know what the hell we were doing, we said sorry and told her the story then she calmed down a bit but we had to return next day to recover me mates mini, Buzzer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That’s Raymond Mays (later a co-founder of both the ERA and BRM companies) in his Brescia Bugatti at the Shelsley Walsh hill climb in Worcestershire. Mays was the undisputed master at this event for many years competing in Vauxhall, the famous ‘White Riley’ and ERA cars although possibly not ‘the master’ on that day! :laughing:

Pete.

ERF-NGC-European:

peterm:

Passenger footwell, of course! That’s where I kept mine :wink:

Yes of course. What was I thinking. If I ever had a passenger when I was empty they had the comfort of nice soft clean ropes to put their feet on. :slight_smile: When I was driving over here I had (like most others) a nice big box under the trailer to keep ropes and or straps in… Luxury.