Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

The latest Scania to join the Punchard Group :laughing: there was a 20 yr old foden on eBay I thought was a better buy though but no one agreed :unamused:

Punchy Dan:
The latest Scania to join the Punchard Group :laughing: there was a 20 yr old foden on eBay I thought was a better buy though but no one agreed :unamused:

Tidy bit of kit there Dan, donā€™t think anyone is going to convert you from Foden eh, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Punchy Dan:

Tidy bit of kit there Dan, donā€™t think anyone is going to convert you from Foden eh, Buzzer

Not for a while Buzzer ,no point the royal we have nearly 40 lorries ,no need for them all to be euro 6 jumping through hoops to go in city centres . :wink:

A Pollock rigid, Buzzer

A couple of memory jogging blasts from the past there. I used to sub quite a bit of work to Vic Haines, but he had mainly rigid 4 wheelers at the time I think, loaded us back a couple of times too, canā€™t remember with what though. Anybody know if he is still going?

And Pollocks of Musselborough went bust owing us a bit of money, then taken over by that bloke with all the flash and a speedboat, canā€™t remember his name, yes I can, Ralph Hilton :unamused: . Years later, long after we had wound up our business, I got a cheque from Pollockā€™s reciever. Too late to bank it by then. :frowning:

@Punchy, that looks like one helluva overhang, something to remember when turning left from the left lane at the lights. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:
A couple of memory jogging blasts from the past there. I used to sub quite a bit of work to Vic Haines, but he had mainly rigid 4 wheelers at the time I think, loaded us back a couple of times too, canā€™t remember with what though. Anybody know if he is still going?

And Pollocks of Musselborough went bust owing us a bit of money, then taken over by that bloke with all the flash and a speedboat, canā€™t remember his name, yes I can, Ralph Hilton :unamused: . Years later, long after we had wound up our business, I got a cheque from Pollockā€™s reciever. Too late to bank it by then. :frowning:

@Punchy, that looks like one helluva overhang, something to remember when turning left from the left lane at the lights. :wink: :laughing:

ā€œPollocks of Musselborough went bustā€
No mention of that here Spardo, archive.commercialmotor.com/arti ā€¦ the-family
though I have read of some connected(WBS) involvement that went bust.
Oily
Editā€¦ putting Ralph Hilton and WBS together and found this viewtopic.php?f=35&t=52514

Thanks to Buzzer and Punchy Dan for the pics :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily
Vic Haines still going and looking at their website and FB latest wagons look to be Scania and MAN.
A couple of faithfull ERFs with thanks to SCP.

SCP cc by sa 2.0 41974838362_c0eb8bf5cd_o.jpg

Buzzer:
Would this be bales of wool or cotton on that truck, it says Royton on the post, cheers Buzzer.

I recognise the mill in the background, it is the Elk Mill in Oldham. No longer standing, it is now a retail park off Broadway Chadderton.
GBW

oiltreader:

Spardo:

ā€œPollocks of Musselborough went bustā€
No mention of that here Spardo, archive.commercialmotor.com/arti ā€¦ the-family
though I have read of some connected(WBS) involvement that went bust.
Oily
Editā€¦ putting Ralph Hilton and WBS together and found this viewtopic.php?f=35&t=52514

I think what may have confused me was that we continued to backload from Pollocks after the takeover by HTS and then lost out when HTS failed. You had me going then for a moment, Oily, because I knew for a fact that we lost out, obviously simply forgot how. :confused: :unamused: :slight_smile:

Then the family bought it back and re-started under the name of Pollock Scotrans.

Nice to hear Vic Haines still going though. :smiley:

Total legends

Brians wagons , I used to see them when loading Caberboard at Cowie, The used to load for South Molton in Devon, Great set of lads, Allways liked a bit chat about the job etc. The good old days in my book, Regards Larry.

Found this fascinating a German invention from the 1930s a motorcycle with engine within the front wheel, it took 3 years to develop this model but obviously it never took off, Buzzer

97048559_3375481999131979_2662412714546036736_n.jpg

97977338_3375481129132066_6593835802311000064_n.jpg

that is pure ā– ā– ā–  on two wheelsā€¦ beautiful. those pesky germansā€¦ :slight_smile:

Bit of a bugger to change the tyre.

Buzzer:
Found this fascinating a German invention from the 1930s a motorcycle with engine within the front wheel, it took 3 years to develop this model but obviously it never took off, Buzzer

A very strange idea, a bit a of a nuisance if your spark plugs was oiled up you can just see the top of the plugs but how would you get to them?

pete smith:

Buzzer:

A very strange idea, a bit a of a nuisance if your spark plugs was oiled up you can just see the top of the plugs but how would you get to them?

I bet itā€™s an ā€œarse clencherā€ cornering in the wet with the power on!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: regards Kev.

Indeed Kev, I can think of at least one reason why that is not a good idea. With front wheel drive but most of the weight rearwards, difficult to get a grip in the wet or on gravelly roads. I am having the same problem with my trike, the electric motor is in the front wheel hub and can be a bit hairy because, not only does it lose grip on the 1 in 10 up the last 100 metres to my house, but it skids sideways in doing so. :open_mouth:

I have fitted handlebar extensions like the racers have so that I can get some weight forward with my elbows on the handlebars but that is only partially successful as it isnā€™t so easy to steer like that. Yesterday, my masterstroke. I fitted a 5 litre cubitainer filled with water under those bars. First test is today. :unamused: :laughing:

Spardo:
Indeed Kev, I can think of at least one reason why that is not a good idea. With front wheel drive but most of the weight rearwards, difficult to get a grip in the wet or on gravelly roads. I am having the same problem with my trike, the electric motor is in the front wheel hub and can be a bit hairy because, not only does it lose grip on the 1 in 10 up the last 100 metres to my house, but it skids sideways in doing so. :open_mouth:

I have fitted handlebar extensions like the racers have so that I can get some weight forward with my elbows on the handlebars but that is only partially successful as it isnā€™t so easy to steer like that. Yesterday, my masterstroke. I fitted a 5 litre cubitainer filled with water under those bars. First test is today. :unamused: :laughing:

Perhaps convert it to a monocycle-style seating (that is you would sit over the front, driven wheel) and let the 2 trailing wheels simplyā€¦trail!

Or go back to the drawing board!

Good luck with it and have fun. Please tell us how you get on.

McWilliam:
Total legends

Thanks for the photo McWilliam, see you are from Moffat, we stopped there a couple a times end of last year on our way south and north.
A preserved Brian Harris wagon, all credit to bilbobagweed for the photo.
Oily

Hi Buzzer, fwd motorbike :astonished: had to do a google on that one and a few on Youtube, Jay Leno has one in his collection of automobiles.
youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=4TeqwcJjQgY
and one on a run
youtube.com/watch?v=c4Cq49IDfOc
Oily