Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to Lawrence Dunbar and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
As a youth in Aberdeenshire the main livestock feed suppliers were Silcocks, Bibbys and SAI(Scottish Agricultural Industries) mainly working from stores at main rail stations with local marts nearby.
Oily

Buzzer:
Waiting for a load of animal feed, Buzzer

Hi Buzzer Is that Silcocks at Hull ■■?

Tyneside

A few more from The NE Tyneside

Thanks to tyneside for the pics :smiley: can’t beat the old black and white.
Oily

One for Froggy55, a 1945 Imbert Gazogene Renault. All credot to Dave Fawcett for the photo.

Went on a tour of this place when I was at the Wiltshire College of Agriculture, Lackham back in the late 60’s very traditional company famous for the bacon it produced, Buzzer.

oiltreader:
Thanks to tyneside for the pics :smiley: can’t beat the old black and white.
Oily

One for Froggy55, a 1945 Imbert Gazogene Renault. All credot to Dave Fawcett for the photo.

Indeed, this is probably a Renault AHN or AHR, with a very crude and basicly built cab, designed in 1941 to be cheaply manufactured. They remained in production until 1946 or 47. Many of them were delivered to the German Army during the Occupation.

Oldams transport from early on to modern, don’t know if they are still going, Buzzer

100398332_2484433838536203_7369297920039845888_n.jpg

100063785_2484433645202889_4661057092696670208_n.jpg

Hi Buzzer,

Sadly Oldhams ceased trading about 8 years ago as margins were squeezed, they took the decision to sell their site inBarford for housing. There are still a couple of removals vans operated in the. Brown and gold
Oldhams livery but I do not think they are the Oldhams family.

Ironically you have no photos of DAF vehicles in their livery - they held the DAF franchise for a number of years

I remember going past the Harris Bacon factory in Calne with me dad in whatever lorry he was driving at the time. I always thought it was a shame to have demolished it, but it went long ago.

peterm:
I remember going past the Harris Bacon factory in Calne with me dad in whatever lorry he was driving at the time. I always thought it was a shame to have demolished it, but it went long ago.

Always remember when we went round the factory saw these huge swimming pool like structures where the bacon was soaked in brine but they never changed the water just added to it when needed and took out any fat lumps, perhaps that’s why the bacon tasted so good.Buzzer

Old yank

FAE085C3-E901-47CB-A9B5-3ACA5D6251B1.jpeg

Hi robthedog, ta for the photo, a 1950s Ford. This one thanks to John Lloyd.
Oily

Ford John Lloyd cc by 2.0 4148762580_301860f306_k.jpg

Few more oldies from the NE Tyneside

Baxters service Ford Van 1960, Thats my daughter posing for her photo :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ,Regards Larry.

Buzzer:

peterm:

Always remember when we went round the factory saw these huge swimming pool like structures where the bacon was soaked in brine but they never changed the water just added to it when needed and took out any fat lumps, perhaps that’s why the bacon tasted so good.Buzzer

I reckon you’re right Buzzer. We’ve got a butcher near us that smokes his own bacon and does most other stuff himself. He’s also got a trawler so we get really nice prawns and fish too. Don’t know how he finds the time.

Thanks to Buzzer, robthedog, tyneside and Lawrence Dunbar for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily

Ex Richard Read, all credit to scp for the photo.

Would this be bales of wool or cotton on that truck, it says Royton on the post, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Would this be bales of wool or cotton on that truck, it says Ryton on the post, cheers Buzzer.

That looks like a typical Lancashire cotton mill in the background, could it be Royton, (Oldham)?

gingerfold:

Buzzer:
Would this be bales of wool or cotton on that truck, it says Ryton on the post, cheers Buzzer.

That looks like a typical Lancashire cotton mill in the background, could it be Royton, (Oldham)?

Sorry GF missed the o out it is Royton, Buzzer.