Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

dave docwra:

robthedog:
Reincarnated FL cab in Moscow

It looks to me like Its a kinda cross between a Volvo & Mercedes Atego, Quite a few of these in central Africa and I think they may be from the far East.

I think you will find they are Chinese. They sell well in Africa simply because they are easy to maintain and repair. No fancy electrickery that needs laptops and software.

pyewacket947v:
26 December 1984
Berry Hill Ind Est
Droitwich Spa ,Worcs
Another line up of interesting metal at Dysons Recovery Systems.
I suppose some would think it a bit sad, wandering around on a cold, but sunny,
Boxing Day, looking at old trucks, Still makes a change from frightening old ladies.

30 January 1985
Christian Salvesen Easton depot
Grantham, Lincs,Eng
A little MB fridge van in the short lived Salfresh livery.

300185 (2).jpg

robthedog:

oiltreader:
Thanks to pyewacket947v, Buzzer, DEANB and robthedog for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
and for robthedog the Russsian tipper is a Chinese Sinotruk Howo, yes a bit Volvo like but the only European connection I read is with MAN.
Oily

Indeed it is as you say, thereā€™s loads in Russia.
That is the old FL cab on it,they still run the old transit bodies as well re tooled and the old Merc axor cab on another import

Hereā€™s the old axor cab itā€™s Kamaz

Immingham truckstop.

IMG_20200201_213542.jpg

few oldies from the Sunderland area

Fulwell Bus depot 1.jpg

Vaux Albion.jpg

Beer delivery 1.jpg

Hi Tyneside, Thanks for posting these great photos, Regards Larry.

Tyneside & Kevmac, do you recall seeing the whale factory ships (Southern Harvester and Southern Venturer) in the Tyne moored near Redheads yard for refitting each summer in the 1950s early 60s before heading back south to Antartica, they were owned by Christian Salveson and crewed by Shetlanders, Orcadians, Geordies and Norwegians.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Tyneside & Kevmac, do you recall seeing the whale factory ships (Southern Harvester and Southern Venturer) in the Tyne moored near Redheads yard for refitting each summer in the 1950s early 60s before heading back south to Antartica, they were owned by Christian Salveson and crewed by Shetlanders, Orcadians, Geordies and Norwegians.
Cheers, Leyland 600

No Gerald, you cheeky bat :laughing: :laughing: in 1960 I was 13 years old! I was more interested in my first proper girlfriend :wink: and woodbines than ships on the river. Regards Kev. :wink: :wink:

kevmac47:
Immingham truckstop.210

LASO are Portuguese,seen regularly in central Portugal,a large operator.

David

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

Now you are upsetting me, late 50s I was making my debut at Springwell Village School. Tyneside

tyneside:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

Now you are upsetting me, late 50s I was making my debut at Springwell Village School. Tyneside

Tyneside, I think we should get on our "boneshakers " ( in our school short trousers) and hustle over to Carlisle and gang up on this guy! Between the two of us we could probably manage to give him a ā€œChinese Burnā€ and maybe even tie his shoe laces together. Regards Kev. :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

kevmac47:

tyneside:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

Tyneside, I think we should get on our "boneshakers " ( in our school short trousers) and hustle over to Carlisle and gang up on this guy! Between the two of us we could probably manage to give him a ā€œChinese Burnā€ and maybe even tie his shoe laces together. Regards Kev. :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

20 a side game of football and make sure his jumper is a goal post! Tyneside

FB_IMG_1580722505794.jpg
Now weā€™re talking !

coomsey:
Now weā€™re talking !

^^^^Talking ā€˜photoshopā€™! :unamused: They only pulled single axle trailers, I actually worked on one that was ex BRS. :wink:

Pete.

coomsey:
Now weā€™re talking !

Now then Coomsey, This big nosed BMC is a strange looking outfit, What was its purpose,?
What was its gross vehicle weight,? and what was under the bonnet ? Also, the trailer looks
a bit of an oddball. Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

coomsey:
Now weā€™re talking !

Now then Coomsey, This big nosed BMC is a strange looking outfit, What was its purpose,?
What was its gross vehicle weight,? and what was under the bonnet ? Also, the trailer looks

Now then Ray you surprise me !! How have you ever missed one of these fine outfits running up and down the highways and bye ways of the UK in their day ?
Starting at the front 1) 8LXB as anyone can see by the forward bulge ! 2) ZF Power steering 3) Big Fuller 9509 box 4) Kirkstall Double drive BDR bogie 5) York Big D Slider 6) Air suspended self steering ROR trailer axles. Iā€™m not just sure the make of the box but it may be a York Freightmaster by the shape. They were that fast that if you blinked when they flew past you could be forgiven if you doubted your eyes ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Tut Tut Ray ! :open_mouth: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Ray Smyth:

coomsey:
Now weā€™re talking !

Now then Ray you surprise me !! How have you ever missed one of these fine outfits running up and down the highways and bye ways of the UK in their day ?
Starting at the front 1) 8LXB as anyone can see by the forward bulge ! 2) ZF Power steering 3) Big Fuller 9509 box 4) Kirkstall Double drive BDR bogie 5) York Big D Slider 6) Air suspended self steering ROR trailer axles. Iā€™m not just sure the make of the box but it may be a York Freightmaster by the shape. They were that fast that if you blinked when they flew past you could be forgiven if you doubted your eyes ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Tut Tut Ray ! :open_mouth: Cheers Dennis.

Wasnā€™t sure of the spec Ray but Dennis got it covered. Iā€™m told itā€™s a bit of a rarity they didnā€™t make many day cabs, the sleeper cabbed by far n away the more popular. Cheers Coomsey

Haha, you can all take the p*ss regarding the spec but, as I said previously, I have actually worked on one. They were fitted with a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  150 coupled to a Turner six speed box with an Eaton two speed backend, power steering was included as you couldnā€™t expect BRS lads to grapple with manual handlebars! They went well, but the braking system rather let them down as they had the same brakes as the 30cwt BMC trucks. Drivers complained about this to the fitting staff but were told in no uncertain terms ā€œwe are paid to make 'em go, not to make them stopā€ so they were restricted to 15 mph top speed as that was deemed to be safest. :cry: They were soon replaced by ex Co-oP dairy milk floats.

Pete.

windrush:
Haha, you can all take the p*ss regarding the spec but, as I said previously, I have actually worked on one. They were fitted with a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  150 coupled to a Turner six speed box with an Eaton two speed backend, power steering was included as you couldnā€™t expect BRS lads to grapple with manual handlebars! They went well, but the braking system rather let them down as they had the same brakes as the 30cwt BMC trucks. Drivers complained about this to the fitting staff but were told in no uncertain terms ā€œwe are paid to make 'em go, not to make them stopā€ so they were restricted to 15 mph top speed as that was deemed to be safest. :cry: They were soon replaced by ex Co-oP dairy milk floats.

Pete.

Pete, the unit and trailer seem to have identical axles and wheelsā€¦ were they interchangeable? :confused: :confused: