Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

I beg to differ Oily, this is how it should be done :laughing:

coomsey:

Spardo:

Tyneside:
We loaded of the belt but it would sometimes take nearly two hours for four ton.

Reminds me of the first time I loaded a tipper with coal out of one ot the Notts pits. I backed under the belt and climbed up to make sure the load was even, the belt started and nothing else happened. Then a single lump came up the belt and dropped into the trailer with a loud clang.

I said to one of the pitmen nearby, ‘when are they going to start loading?’ ‘They’ve already started’ came the reply. :open_mouth:

:smiley: 20t of lumps out of Snibston pit to Loughborough ,8 mls away, 1a day !!! The China clay boys would backload out of there,many visits to the Wagon n Horses over the road

Very similar at Cresswell loading best lump . About 6 0r 7 hours for 10 tons but they had a good canteen to while away the time . Take the load home for tomorrow delivery and our coalshed was stacked to the rafters .

oiltreader:
When men were men and how it should be done.

Indeed, and what a smart looking outfit that is, the only thing lacking? A sleeper of course. :wink: :smiley:

Mind you, without an engine lump in the cab I suppose you could make yourself quite comfy. :slight_smile:

rigsby:
Very similar at Cresswell loading best lump . About 6 0r 7 hours for 10 tons but they had a good canteen to while away the time . Take the load home for tomorrow delivery and our coalshed was stacked to the rafters .

Well at least they let us use their canteens, not something that could be said for all of the dockers. We were even turned away from the toilets in London, lorry drivers and Lascars (Indian seafarers) use the holes in the floor. :imp:

Very similar at Cresswell loading best lump . About 6 0r 7 hours for 10 tons but they had a good canteen to while away the time . Take the load home for tomorrow delivery and our coalshed was stacked to the rafters
I had 5shifts at it n was a bit concerned about the money,we were on percentage,gaffer said good money n he was right. Even so I at to come off the job, watching paint dry! Having said all that, I run out of Measham pit singles from under the screens for 2yr ,nearly every day, you’d back under, the hopper man would start loading with a couple of taps on the body n hodge forward,3 taps n loaded,3mins. I never met the man but it was a rare event if you had to chuck any off. From driving in to out 10mins top whack. Cheers Coomsey

Ranks Flour Foden.

Don’t let Bewick see that Ranks’ Foden- you’ll start him nagging about Southern drivers and their crap loading!

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, Ray Smyth, tyneside and pv83 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also the craic :smiley:
Oily

I wonder why the Merc badge is inverted on this one?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Don’t let Bewick see that Ranks’ Foden- you’ll start him nagging about Southern drivers and their crap loading!

:smiley:
Well seeing as it’s on pallets it would do for me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, Ray Smyth, tyneside and pv83 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also the craic :smiley:
Oily

I have no recollection of seeing these MBs in Britain, but obviously some were imported. Maybe fitted with the 172 DIN bhp OM 360 engine?

DEANB:
Ranks Flour Foden.

Ranks at Silvertown and Fisons at Barking were the two worse places that my old man loaded bags from in the sixties. Eight hour waits were quite normal, his day consided of running empty to them from Reading and going back to the yard at night loaded, he rarely had the chance of delivering them. At least he had a Tamplin bulk tank so no roping or sheeting! :wink:

Pete.

Billingtons who apparently bought a lot of second hand Atkis from Riding’s but ceased early 80’s

Meanwhile in Italy… still earning it’s keep…

Buzzer:
Billingtons who apparently bought a lot of second hand Atkis from Riding’s but ceased early 80’s

Bit cramped for sleeping in, those rabbit hutches, but at least it was a bed, so I was well pleased to swap my Foden for one at Econofreight, but was really made up when I got my new Daf. :smiley: :laughing:

Hi ROF when I saw that photo of the Ranks Foden and as an ex Foden S21 owner drive my immediate reaction was “the driver must have used a graip” (a garden fork) to load then I noticed the arch of Tower Bridge in the background, “Nuff said” wait till Bewick see’s the photo !! To the driver’s credit he must have expected all the bags to stay on and not slide off as the present day DVLA would emphasize it is an insecure load.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Buzzer , There is still an ex Billington’s Atkinson appearing regularly on the vintage rally scene seen here in 2009 at Kirkbride airfield in ■■■■■■■■
Cheers, Leyland 600.

IMG_2433 - Copy.jpg

Mite even be at Carnforth truck stop Sunday morning : :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Leyland600:
Hi Buzzer , There is still an ex Billington’s Atkinson appearing regularly on the vintage rally scene seen here in 2009 at Kirkbride airfield in ■■■■■■■■
Cheers, Leyland 600.

It’s in Billington colours, but not an ex-Billington machine. This one has since been sold on, and has been replaced by a 240 Borderer, ex-Wild Motors of Altrincham, to which the owner has added a sleeper and Billington livery.

The first one:

P reg 1992 Seddon Atkinson by Steven Brown, on Flickr

And its replacement:

Atkinson Borderer GRJ 569N Billington 16182014 leyland 041 by frank hilton, on Flickr

Just my opinion but the radiator grille on the Billington Atky is far too cluttered with badges, spoils the look of a grand machine.

Keep it tidy and simple. :wink:

Very pleasant lineup of modern machinery run by someone who IMHO cares about image, Buzzer.