Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:
Next Wednesday, September 18th, I am going to Mojacar in Almeria Province in South East Spain
in my capacity as an A.R.S.E…(Alcohol Related Scrutineering Executive). I will be examining the
products of San Miguel, Estrella Damm, Mahou, and several other breweries. It will take about
2 weeks to complete the work…Someone has to do it. I will be disguised as a holidaymaker,
sandals, black socks, shorts, and shades, some of the older bar owners might think that I am
Tony Mapson, returning to settle a long outstanding bar tab. :smiley: :smiley:
Ray Smyth.

Morning Ray,
I have a good old pall who has lived in Mojacar for over 16 years now. nice place, if you like bowling, let me know.
Anyway have a good one, cheers, Harvey

Buzzer:
Just some adverts today for GUY motors, Buzzer

This Guy Vixen tower wagon is one of several that were in service with
Liverpool Corporation Passenger Transport when they operated hundreds
of trams, up and until September 1957. This one is preserved and resides
at the Tramway Museum in Birkenhead. The one in your Guy Motors advert
above was also for Liverpool. Ray Smyth.

Guy Vixen GKD 317.jpg

Another Guy Vixen, belonging to S.& R. Smyth, Furniture Removals, from Park Road, Dingle, Liverpool.
Despite being born and raised in Liverpool, this company is no relation to me. My surname was fairly
common in Liverpool, its origin is Co.Antrim and Co Down in Northern Ireland.
Click on picture for full image.

Ray Smyth.

guy vixen.jpg

Few from the NE. Found on Facebook, not my photos

20190917_064808014_iOS.jpeg

20190917_064726547_iOS.jpeg

20190917_064707621_iOS.jpeg

Hi Tyneside, Huwoods It was a great job loading there when they were on the Valley, I did quite a bit out of there, They are still going, But they have moved to Sunderland, My son Nigel gets in there quite often for Jakey, Regards Larry.

tyneside:
Few from the NE. Found on Facebook, not my photos

The Rank Flour Mills at Gateshead, is that the Baltic Mill, nowadays an art museum? And did the entrance drop down sharply from the road?

If it was, I loaded once there back in the 60s with my Kew Dodge artic and 26 ft Boden 4 in line flat. After I loaded I drove to the bottom of the slope and then turned right up it to the exit. Unfortunately on the Dodge the batteries were mounted on the chassis behind tha cab and, as the front wheels started to climb the slope and the corner of the trailer came down on the batteries and smashed them.

Nothing to do about it I headed home, of course you only needed batteries to start the engine and all the electrics were fine if the revs stayed up. I made it home to Nottingham that night but at each slow turn or traffic lights I had to keep the engine revving to maintain the lights. I was very glad to be home. :wink:

If I had stalled it I would have been buggered.

Hi Tyneside ,Take note of the way those 10 stone bags of flour are loaded on Ranks 8 wheelers each two upright bags barrowed onto the platform and set up against the first three rows cross butteressed. Next sheet the load and tie about 4 cross ropes over the sheet at equal points along the platform length and across the back rows and away you go. This was the regular way most flour millers dispatched their products back in the 1960s I have hauled numerous loads of flour this way, some out of Ranks without any mishap.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Greetings,All.
Ref. the Baltic Mills,IIRC,just down the road there were comfortable digs called The Bellingham. Not far from a pub who sold Newcastle Exhibition Ales-most enjoyable.
Hope my memory hasn’t let me down.Regards,300x20. :unamused:

Sorry,should be 900x20.

Spotted this little Scanny in Belgium earlier this week, seems it was still earning it’s keep…

900X20:
Greetings,All.
Ref. the Baltic Mills,IIRC,just down the road there were comfortable digs called The Bellingham. Not far from a pub who sold Newcastle Exhibition Ales-most enjoyable.

The Bellingham was on the other side of the Tyne just above Spillers etc. Larry Dunbar would be able to give you more info. I

tyneside:

900X20:
Greetings,All.

The Bellingham was on the other side of the Tyne just above Spillers etc. Larry Dunbar would be able to give you more info. I

Bellinghams Transport Cafe & Digs was opposite McPhees Garage on Walker Rd, Good Nosh at one time, But I was told that it went downhill & closed down, But I must say I had many good hot dinners there when I drove for Shorties, In fact it was allways packed at lunchtime, Long gone happy days in my book, Regards Larry.

Leyland600:
Hi Tyneside ,Take note of the way those 10 stone bags of flour are loaded on Ranks 8 wheelers each two upright bags barrowed onto the platform and set up against the first three rows cross butteressed. Next sheet the load and tie about 4 cross ropes over the sheet at equal points along the platform length and across the back rows and away you go. This was the regular way most flour millers dispatched their products back in the 1960s I have hauled numerous loads of flour this way, some out of Ranks without any mishap.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

In the Seventies we used to do some local work out of Spillers on the Newcastle side with a couple of 7.5 tonne TKs. It was usually delivering to the little shops with a bakery out the back. Ten bags of this five bags of the other, you know what I mean. If I remember by then everything was 25 or 50 kilo bags.

Tyneside

Old one of Suttons, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Old one of Suttons, Buzzer

Nice shot of Suttons Tanker 1953 Reg IIRC, Thanks for posting These , Regards Larry.

tyneside:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

In the Seventies we used to do some local work out of Spillers on the Newcastle side with a couple of 7.5 tonne TKs. It was usually delivering to the little shops with a bakery out the back. Ten bags of this five bags of the other, you know what I mean. If I remember by then everything was 25 or 50 kilo bags.

Tyneside

Aye Tyneside, Thats when the bag weights started to change, From catch weights when hauling bagged grain from farms to the likes off Spillers & ■■■■ hole Ranks at Gateshead, 56Lbs bags were introduced for animal feed stuff about that time, But it was all handball, The bit that ■■■■■■ me off was Spillers on the Quay used to take it off pallets put it on the belt & you had balled it on a 33 foot trailer, Then when you delivered to their Hull Mill you put it back onto their pallets, Oh dear how things have changed, The gits that worked there new it was wrong but the didnt give a monkeys, Its al lover for the best now, Of course Im out of the haulage game now , Thank God, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Tyneside

Aye Tyneside, Thats when the bag weights started to change, From catch weights when hauling bagged grain from farms to the likes off Spillers & [zb] hole Ranks at Gateshead, 56Lbs bags were introduced for animal feed stuff about that time, But it was all handball, The bit that ■■■■■■ me off was Spillers on the Quay used to take it off pallets put it on the belt & you had balled it on a 33 foot trailer, Then when you delivered to their Hull Mill you put it back onto their pallets, Oh dear how things have changed, The gits that worked there new it was wrong but the didnt give a monkeys, Its al lover for the best now, Of course Im out of the haulage game now , Thank God, Regards Larry.

Yes Larry, I remember the weighbridge man was a right miserable git! We were fortunate that we were on a time work rate for those local jobs. We loaded of the belt but it would sometimes take nearly two hours for four ton. I think some of the stuff was still being milled as we loaded.
At that time Spillers had a lot of Commer 4 wheeler flats for their deliveries, always double manned. I think they were
operated by Millbay which was wholly owned by Spillers and had a workshop at Birtley.
Grady Hall bought the premises and name to start their MAN dealership.

Think that’s what happened anyway. Maybe Yourself or Leyland 600 would know a bit more.8k

Tyneside

Tyneside:
We loaded of the belt but it would sometimes take nearly two hours for four ton.

Reminds me of the first time I loaded a tipper with coal out of one ot the Notts pits. I backed under the belt and climbed up to make sure the load was even, the belt started and nothing else happened. Then a single lump came up the belt and dropped into the trailer with a loud clang.

I said to one of the pitmen nearby, ‘when are they going to start loading?’ ‘They’ve already started’ came the reply. :open_mouth:

Spardo:

Tyneside:
We loaded of the belt but it would sometimes take nearly two hours for four ton.

Reminds me of the first time I loaded a tipper with coal out of one ot the Notts pits. I backed under the belt and climbed up to make sure the load was even, the belt started and nothing else happened. Then a single lump came up the belt and dropped into the trailer with a loud clang.

I said to one of the pitmen nearby, ‘when are they going to start loading?’ ‘They’ve already started’ came the reply. :open_mouth:

:smiley: 20t of lumps out of Snibston pit to Loughborough ,8 mls away, 1a day !!! The China clay boys would backload out of there,many visits to the Wagon n Horses over the road

Thanks to Buzzer, Ray Smyth, tyneside and pv83 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also the craic :smiley:
Oily

When men were men and how it should be done.

Ronnie a Mitchell Family Photo 5591187579_87feae6134_rcc b.jpg