Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

In France a 6x4 with V8 engine.

Volvo.

Leyland600:
Hi CJA 1 How many DAFs did Ackworth Transport run? Here is one when it jackknifed on the Eden Bridge, Carlisle in 1969.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Ive just spoke to an old hand and he says they may have had up to a 100

An ERF from Kent, Buzzer

Frankydobo:
The Fire Service Dennis RS appliances used the Perkins V8 510. I’ve got a bit of info here taken from a post I made a while back about the Perkins and the ■■■■■■■ V engines which you may find interesting;

It seems Perkins came out the winners in this V War, from the info I have, Dodge introduced the 500 Series in 1964 with the Chrysler V8 which was the ■■■■■■■ VALE built under licence. This proved unpopular so Dodge offered the Perkins V8-410. Fords D1000 appeared in 1967 again with the VALE but within a year they began to offer their own V8 engine which was in fact the Perkins V8-510 built under license as an alternative. Whether that is the truth and nothing but the truth its what I’ve got in black and white. Certainly the Perkins V8 seems to have had a better reign than the VAL/VALE engines. Another post on these engines is quoted below;

Vee engine production, in the UK came about as follows. Two new manufacturing plants were built in the early 60’s in Darlington. One plant under Chrysler’s control manufactured the Val and Vale engines for use in the Dodge ‘K’ series vehicles, the Dodge chassis used both the V6 and V8 engines. The second, adjacent plant, was built and operated by ■■■■■■■ as a ‘components’ plant to service the Chrysler facility. The ■■■■■■■ plant produced all the fuel injection equipment and other small components, it was also where the ■■■■■■■ UK customer training school was located.
At some point, in the later 60’s, ■■■■■■■ took over responsibility for both plants. I cannot recall if the Ford contract, for the D1000 V8 Vale engine, came before or after the split from Chrysler. Also to confirm the rather confusing situation of the Chrysler/■■■■■■■ V engine story which was reported in Comm Motor mag below;

Chrysler/■■■■■■■■ in a joint venture, are to manufacture in two factories at Darlington the smaller, oversquare, ■■■■■■■ VAL and VALE V-6 and V-8 diesels. So there you have it, to me the Dodge always sounded a lot noisier than the Ford but both certainly shifted! Franky.

I think the Dodge was noisey.When Ford brought the Phase 11 models up to 16 ts the first ones we had were 15 tonners and we had to wait for the 16ts.why that happened God only knows.Yes the ■■■■■■■ was smoother and you needed to fit an all speed governer if you were working cranes or bulkers.Many operrators had good service out of them but they had to be serviced properly with special attention to the water seperator filter.
Think we shold get back to the pictures now.
Tony

Thanks to CJA1, michel, DEANB and Buzzer for pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and all the V8 info input from posters :smiley: .

F88s.
Oily

Volvo F88 PS 28276636384_d4d2229123_o.jpg

Just a few out of focus pics.

Tony

BIG AW:

Leyland600:
Hi CJA 1 How many DAFs did Ackworth Transport run? Here is one when it jackknifed on the Eden Bridge, Carlisle in 1969.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Haven’t heard from you for a while Andy, hope things are well? Regards Kev.

Vee engine production, in the UK came about as follows. Two new manufacturing plants were built in the early 60’s in Darlington. One plant under Chrysler’s control manufactured the Val and Vale engines for use in the Dodge ‘K’ series vehicles, the Dodge chassis used both the V6 and V8 engines. The second, adjacent plant, was built and operated by ■■■■■■■ as a ‘components’ plant to service the Chrysler facility. The ■■■■■■■ plant produced all the fuel injection equipment and other small components, it was also where the ■■■■■■■ UK customer training school was located.
At some point, in the later 60’s, ■■■■■■■ took over responsibility for both plants. I cannot recall if the Ford contract, for the D1000 V8 Vale engine, came before or after the split from Chrysler. Also to confirm the rather confusing situation of the Chrysler/■■■■■■■ V engine story which was reported in Comm Motor mag below;

We sold a few V6’s in Dodge tippers. Not popular especially when a new engine had to be fitted. This engine sold in great numbers to Mexico as I recall. Must have liked the heat.The V8 in a Dodge was much better but Perkins saw them off.
The two works were Darlington and Yarm. I did go to the Yarm depot, it had a strange metal framework which they reckoned did not need painting as the rust would seal everything up.

A few more out of focus motors

Tony

Some good B&S pics Tony thanks :smiley:

coomsey:

DEANB:
Dutch bedford.

Good job Dirks parents didn’t name him Carntbe, Dean :unamused:

Very jovial :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

kevmac47:

BIG AW:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Haven’t heard from you for a while Andy, hope things are well? Regards Kev.

Hi kev am fine mate ive emailed you a message :smiley:

Thanks to rastone for the pics :smiley: one for you.
Oily

oiltreader:
Thanks to rastone for the pics :smiley: one for you.
Oily

Like that one.Where is it now I wonder.

Tony

n.bound out of florida before i hit the snow in n.carolina

stevejones:
n.bound out of florida before i hit the snow in n.carolina

Probably not on the scale you`ve had Steve but my cousin got caught up in it yesterday ,chaos in Scotland on the M74

A few more

hi ramone yes seems to be following me since b4 xmas :smiley:

More
Tony