Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to ERF-NGC-European for the article :smiley:
This one snapped recently, thanks to Gordon(servo88).
Oily

These thanks to Richard.Says.
Oily

Richard Leanings of Gainsborough 36824705473_31ecc5305a_rs k.jpg

Richard 38910706081_a12024b10frs k.jpg

Richard 37258896604_eba8073147 rs _k.jpg

Richard 25790921438_2a409244a0_ rs k.jpg

A couple of D-Series

Tony

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, CJA1, servo88, Leyland600 and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

On the weighbridge.
Oily

The Co-op Scania photo was taken on the weighbridge at Douglas harbour,Isle of Man.
It’s a Wincanton contract wagon,and a lot of the Co-op product comes on a double-decker which is transhipped onto shorter rear steer trailers.
Here’s a photo of a Co-op Scania artic running back to Douglas from Ramsey on the A18 Mountain Road,part of the TT Course,with what looks like a max length trailer.

iom4.jpg

rastone:
A couple of D-Series

Tony

One question: were some Ford D-series ever fitted with GM/Detroit engines?

Dutch bedford.

DEANB:
Dutch bedford.

Good job Dirks parents didn’t name him Carntbe, Dean :unamused:

Froggy55:

rastone:
A couple of D-Series

Tony

Don’t thinks so. You may be thinking of the ■■■■■■■ V8-185 they fitted to some D-series units. The one I occasionally drove pulled better than the Scania 80 in the fleet (not difficult!). Robert

Froggy55:

rastone:
A couple of D-Series

Tony

never heard of it, the later cargo 3220 had a v6 deutz.

coomsey:

DEANB:
Dutch bedford.

Good job Dirks parents didn’t name him Carntbe, Dean :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing:

tonyj105:

Froggy55:

rastone:
A couple of D-Series

Tony

never heard of it, the later cargo 3220 had a v6 deutz.

Yes that’s right.The mixer lads used to have them,but I remember a chap at Sheen ( near Buxton) had in a six wheel Tipper.Perhaps bought it at the right price.

Tony

Thanks to rastone, Chris Webb and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

D Series and Cargo.
Oily

Ford 1983 Ford Cargo 3224 6X2 Recovery Truck maltabuses 20111025123350-53703673-maltabuses me.jpg

FL Railfreight owd n owder,

Freight Liner .jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Froggy55:

rastone:
A couple of D-Series

Tony

Don’t thinks so. You may be thinking of the ■■■■■■■ V8-185 they fitted to some D-series units. The one I occasionally drove pulled better than the Scania 80 in the fleet (not difficult!). Robert

Thanks for your replies! I do remember a Ford 6-wheller which remained for years in a nearby garage, its cab tilted; the engine indeed was a ■■■■■■■ V8. I think it ended scrapped.

Max. weight Ford D-series artic units had the choice of V8 ■■■■■■■ or V8 Perkins engines. I was persuaded to take on a 2-year old Perkins-powered example only to find that, due to the way it had been used gave me about 5 miles per gallon on fuel and almost the same on oil!

Froggy55:

ERF-NGC-European:

Froggy55:

rastone:
A couple of D-Series

Tony

Thanks for your replies! I do remember a Ford 6-wheller which remained for years in a nearby garage, its cab tilted; the engine indeed was a ■■■■■■■ V8. I think it ended scrapped.

I used to think that a D-Series tractor unit and Cargo with this Perkins engine were a pain to drive until you got used to them as the accelorater was responding to the bounce.Although I went to Aberdeen to fetch a 6 x 4 chassis and that did but not as bad,and during the road building.Soon got used to it as I thought about my commision.Going off the sublect a bit a bit.I went to fill up at a local Shell station and the owner was that exciited as they were giving away glasses at the time and after having 40 gals.He gave me double the amount of glasses.Still got some as they were crap but quite useful fo cleaning pain brushes.
No problem with a bit of weight on though.Fire service ran a lot of motors with those engines

Tony

The Fire Service Dennis RS appliances used the Perkins V8 510. I’ve got a bit of info here taken from a post I made a while back about the Perkins and the ■■■■■■■ V engines which you may find interesting;

It seems Perkins came out the winners in this V War, from the info I have, Dodge introduced the 500 Series in 1964 with the Chrysler V8 which was the ■■■■■■■ VALE built under licence. This proved unpopular so Dodge offered the Perkins V8-410. Fords D1000 appeared in 1967 again with the VALE but within a year they began to offer their own V8 engine which was in fact the Perkins V8-510 built under license as an alternative. Whether that is the truth and nothing but the truth its what I’ve got in black and white. Certainly the Perkins V8 seems to have had a better reign than the VAL/VALE engines. Another post on these engines is quoted below;

Vee engine production, in the UK came about as follows. Two new manufacturing plants were built in the early 60’s in Darlington. One plant under Chrysler’s control manufactured the Val and Vale engines for use in the Dodge ‘K’ series vehicles, the Dodge chassis used both the V6 and V8 engines. The second, adjacent plant, was built and operated by ■■■■■■■ as a ‘components’ plant to service the Chrysler facility. The ■■■■■■■ plant produced all the fuel injection equipment and other small components, it was also where the ■■■■■■■ UK customer training school was located.
At some point, in the later 60’s, ■■■■■■■ took over responsibility for both plants. I cannot recall if the Ford contract, for the D1000 V8 Vale engine, came before or after the split from Chrysler. Also to confirm the rather confusing situation of the Chrysler/■■■■■■■ V engine story which was reported in Comm Motor mag below;

Chrysler/■■■■■■■■ in a joint venture, are to manufacture in two factories at Darlington the smaller, oversquare, ■■■■■■■ VAL and VALE V-6 and V-8 diesels. So there you have it, to me the Dodge always sounded a lot noisier than the Ford but both certainly shifted! Franky.

Interesting post Franky explaining the background to the ■■■■■■■ V engines built in Darlington. I was fortunate ( or unfortunate in the opinion of others) to have operated both the V8 ■■■■■■■ and the V8 Perkins. I drove the D1000 with the V8 ■■■■■■■ and also periodically the two Mastiff units with the V8 Perkins. All three did us a decent job but we were always very careful plus we serviced them religiously, however I would say that I was biased toward the ■■■■■■■ with it been a bit smoother runner than the Perkins. IIRC the “Ford” badged V 8 Perkins were built at the Perkins plant in Peterborough and were collected by Ford’s own transport and shipped down to their Langley plant. Cheers Bewick.

oiltreader:
These thanks to Richard.Says.
Oily

Do Leanings still have livestock vehicles ■■ Used to see them two or three times a week at Walls in Hyde delivering pigs. Tyneside

Leyland600:
Hi CJA 1 How many DAFs did Ackworth Transport run? Here is one when it jackknifed on the Eden Bridge, Carlisle in 1969.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

I believe Ackworth were one if not the first to run the dafs in uk but for some strange reason they choose Leylands are there fleet choice.
BIG AW