Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

CIMG2457.JPG

CIMG2504.JPG

CIMG2523.JPG

CIMG2521.JPG

Buzzer:
Took the Mrs to the Isle of Wight as it was her birthday treat and came across a road sign I had never seen before, twaz a warning sign for red squirrels, suspect you may have seen similar in Scotland as I believe you have them up there as well, cheers Buzzer.

Don’t know much about red squirrel population south of the border, in Scotland the grey is considered a pest and is taken very seriously, to the extent of payment for trapping and humane dispatch. Only ever seen a red one once. that was on the Mull of Kintyre, a few years back. I have seen red squirrel “bridges”, single strand ropeways across roads running through forests, this to avoid roadkill.
Oily

Thanks to servo88, ever present, for the pics :smiley:

Livestock wagon at Borcherds, Western Cape, SA.
Oily

He,s a few more Oily, was at prattmans funeral yesterday, he got a good send off.

CIMG2501.JPG
CIMG2478.JPG
CIMG2599.JPG
CIMG2559.JPG
CIMG2560.JPG
CIMG2592.JPG

servo88:
He,s a few more Oily, was at prattmans funeral yesterday, he got a good send off.

R I P prattman and condolences to his family, doesn’t seem that long ago that he was posting. a real enthusiast with that scrapbook collection he shared…
Oily

Thanks to servo88 for the pics :smiley:
… now a Lawrence Dunbar compatriot on the A1 a few weeks back.
Oily

Small world Oily, i snapped him in Adderstone truck stop last night, got a couple of cracker,s will put them on when i download from my camera.The driver is the gaffers son, i said to him thats a smart motor, he said thats my baby my pride & joy :smiley: :smiley:

Roadside DIY Brazil style. Older chaps on here like myself would have carried similar gear, a bottle jack, length of scaffold pole for extra leverage on the wheel brace, spare injector pipes(Perkins R6) and a spanner or two, also trailer bulbs, what about easing the rubber casing to let the water out, sure you’ve done that :slight_smile:
Oily

Leyland, Sunday. Andy and I had the pleasure of meeting school friend Andy Green, and his brother Richard. Their grandfather started ‘Arthur Green of Silsden’ with horses and carts.

Also enjoyed meeting Eddie Heaton from ‘Pritchett Brothers’ days.

The museum is terrific. I spent about an hour and a half in there. A few on here could do with liberating the last ever Foden there!

Nice to see al the old lorrys :smiley:
Here is a pic of my new toy,loaded with a Cat 365. Total weight about 105-107 ton.

Danne

Frm Castle Gresley. Tyre and Tune Transport

Found these fine Atkinson 4 wheelers in a ‘Barrow-in-Furness and Furness area Directory’ for 1958

image.jpg

Thanks to John West, Dirty Dan and rastone for the pics :smiley: :smiley: that’s some wagon Dan :sunglasses:

Dutch built FTF, Detroit power and Motor Panels cab, ERF style.
Oily

FTF cr denniselzinga cc by 2. 13799145624_7b0ffd3b89_dek.jpg

FTF cr denniselzinga cc by 2.09872631194_0d515730e2de_k.jpg

rastone:

Hi rastone, The Transit with the bonnet bulge, am I right in thinking that was the first diesel engine model.
Oily

oiltreader:

rastone:

Hi rastone, The Transit with the bonnet bulge, am I right in thinking that was the first diesel engine model.
Oily

Yes it was a Perkins 4108 and they really warned about using in the .35cwt because of the power but folk didn’t bother.Then came the 2.4 York which people didn’t like because they didn’t like waitng for it to start being an indirect injection but it did alright.The old 400E van had a Perkins 499 in it but of course early days for light Diesels.Then the Transit with the 2.5 No Problems

Tony

The past in the present.
1955 Scammell Explorer.

Seen today in Eccles. Monton Fair.

Ray

John West:
Leyland, Sunday. Andy and I had the pleasure of meeting school friend Andy Green, and his brother Richard. Their grandfather started ‘Arthur Green of Silsden’ with horses and carts.

Also enjoyed meeting Eddie Heaton from ‘Pritchett Brothers’ days.

The museum is terrific. I spent about an hour and a half in there. A few on here could do with liberating the last ever Foden there!

I believe that the Octopus GJM 768 was the last new motor to be put into service with the haulage side of J.B. Hudson of Sandside,Milonthorpe around 1960,shortly afterwards the “A” licence was sold to Athersmith Bros who would have run the Octopus for a few years.I then believe Walter Southworth of Rufford bought this Octopus and ran it on for a number of years I think it then went into preservation and obviously is still “alive and well” It’s origional drivers at J B H could have been possibly Ted Lowe,Tot Baldwin or Aurther Phizachly.None of them moved to Athersmiths Ted and Tot carried on working on the repapir side and I believe Aurther started his own Driving school. Cheers Dennis.

John West:
Found these fine Atkinson 4 wheelers in a ‘Barrow-in-Furness and Furness area Directory’ for 1958

Great old shot there John!! this would before they built their new garage in Hindpool then ! Cheers Dennis.