Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Any ideas what model the body shells are ?
Humber Hawk
Oily
ps can’t remember the Hawk shells being pressed at Cowley(Pressed Steel Company) where some of the Rootes cars were pressed and find they were pressed here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_L … _Pressings.

Humber_Hawk_reg_May_1957_2267_cc Charles01 cc by sa 3.0.jpg

They look like Super Snipes with the grille opening either side of the rad and the flattened top to the front wheel arches, body form looks the same too, did the Hawk not have the same body style. Franky.

They are deffo Humbers but the jury is out on which model
As an aside, would that wagon and drag not be over length ?

rigsby:
Being raised in Buxton snow was just part of life , no schools closed we had to get there the best way we could . We weren’t even allowed long trousers until we were 13 but that was life in the 50s . It amuses me to hear the weather warnings for 5cm of snow , that’s 2 inches in old money .

I can certainly vouch for the Buxton climate, I spent 6 years driving a round trip Birmingham/Buxton and back up to 10 times per week.
My brother once said to me,’ You didnt go today then, the radio said Buxton was cut off.?’
My reply, 'Yes i did. twice!.

2 July 1985
Christian Salvesen Depot
Droitwich Spa
Worcs, Eng

A208 YFS
MB 1621 NG
Repainted after spending a period in
Sainsbury black and orange,.yeuk

Suedehead wrote; As an aside, would that wagon and drag not be over length ?
From 1947 rigid and trailer max limit was 60ft 0in, up until 1964 when it became 18m or 59ft right up to the 90’s. That was the daft thing about wagon and drags when the Class Three to One licence system came in, a young lad could pass his Class 3 then drive a wagon and drag that had a longer max length than an artic at 15m (49ft 2.5in) when the tests came in 1970, but he could not drive a 20ft six wheeler. The later change to the licence system did something to correct this but wagon and drags have always had a max length longer than artics. Franky.

5thwheel:
They look like Humber Snipe’s I think,long time ago now!
David

Definitely snipes… I had one. 4.1 litre straight six, 9 mpg.

not 2004 , but yesterday , 52 an 03 and a W , there’s 3 other reversed up to the fence , and an EC11 knocking about somewhere in there .

tony

tonyj105:
not 2004 , but yesterday , 52 an 03 and a W , there’s 3 other reversed up to the fence , and an EC11 knocking about somewhere in there .

tony

I see these around the Bedford area all the time but no idea where they are based? They seem to do a lot of work for Anglian Water round our way.

Frankydobo:
Suedehead wrote; As an aside, would that wagon and drag not be over length ?
From 1947 rigid and trailer max limit was 60ft 0in, up until 1964 when it became 18m or 59ft right up to the 90’s. That was the daft thing about wagon and drags when the Class Three to One licence system came in, a young lad could pass his Class 3 then drive a wagon and drag that had a longer max length than an artic at 15m (49ft 2.5in) when the tests came in 1970, but he could not drive a 20ft six wheeler. The later change to the licence system did something to correct this but wagon and drags have always had a max length longer than artics. Franky.

This was a court case regarding stretching it a bit with wagon and drag outfits
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -in-detail
The Leyland Comet Carrimore wagon and drags we had at Progressive with extensions out and loaded with 5 Vauxhall Victors(14’6") on the top with minimal spacing ran to 75ft. I loaded them from Luton quite a few times and at our yard at Cowley a left turn off the road into the yard with a slight ramp could bring the 3rd and 4th cars top deck together with resulting a broken rear light cluster, did it once. The photo I am told was a Carrimore demonstration to a potential customer.
Oily

Kempston:

tonyj105:

tony

I see these around the Bedford area all the time but no idea where they are based? They seem to do a lot of work for Anglian Water round our way.

based in wollaston nr wellingborough about 5 minutes from my house , they spend a lot of time running in and out of the anglia water plant between wellingboro and rushden.

oiltreader:
Had my first of two Covid jabs yesterday :smiley:

As did Mr & Mrs GOM. :smiley: Appointment booked for second jab…April 1st.

Still following rules and advice, this bloody virus will take some shifting and we both are of the opinion that the vaccine (Pfizer in our case) is a huge step forward.

windrush:

grumpy old man:

Dipster:

Buzzer:
Takes me back, how about you ? Buzzer.

Indeed it does. There wasn’t much in the way of heating at school anyway so I doubt that we would have missed it if it wasn’t working, but then we didn’t have much heat at home either. :laughing:

Pete.

Heating? heating ? you folk from ‘darn sarf’ were too soft, all we had in our school oop north was a candle flame, 35 of us huddled round one flame try to keep warm and de freeze little bottles of milk…and the bloody sparrows had been pecking the bottle tops. Outside kharzi ■■ frozen up, “use the bucket in the corner”, And semolina for pudding at lunchtime. :unamused: “HOWRAM, get this spoonful of cod liver oil down you and stop whining” :cry:

Happy days :smiley:

Suedehead:

NMP

I’d have bet that that is a Primrose 3rd axle on the Commer, and the Commer would have aTS3 engine

Spardo:

Suedehead:

NMP

The radiator shape reminds me of Alvis I think. I have owned a Super Snipe and a Hawk and neither looked like that

I’ve got a shilling that says Alvis. :smiley:

Suedehead:
They are deffo Humbers but the jury is out on which model

There is a mixture of models on there, the difference being in the length of the engine compartment. Look at the distance between the front edge of the door and the back of the wheelarch - the first one on the top deck is a 4-cylinder Hawk with the shorter wing, and the one directly under it is a Snipe with the longer wing to accommodate the 6-cylinder engine. A similar situation existed with Austin Cambridge/Westminster, Morris Oxford/Isis and Ford Consul/Zephyr and other cars in the fifties where the passenger compartment was common to 4- and 6-cylinder varieties.

grumpy old man:

windrush:
Heating? heating ? you folk from ‘darn sarf’ were too soft, all we had in our school oop north was a candle flame, 35 of us huddled round one flame try to keep warm and de freeze little bottles of milk…and the bloody sparrows had been pecking the bottle tops. Outside kharzi ■■ frozen up, “use the bucket in the corner”, And semolina for pudding at lunchtime. :unamused: “HOWRAM, get this spoonful of cod liver oil down you and stop whining” :cry:
Happy days :smiley:
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ah but don’t forget that I’m talking about the 1960’s GOM, back when “We have never had it so good” and I can fully understand how hard it was for your family when you were a child as Charles Dickens documented those times very well.

Pete.

Spardo:

Suedehead:

NMP

The radiator shape reminds me of Alvis I think. I have owned a Super Snipe and a Hawk and neither looked like that

Perhaps yours were later models David,but they are definitely Humber (Super) Snipes.

David

5thwheel:

Spardo:

Suedehead:

NMP

Perhaps yours were later models David,but they are definitely Humber (Super) Snipes.

David

I think Grumpy Old Man has lost his shilling…

Three random shots today, Buzzer.

139575475_2835005940046608_7167438359203130944_n.jpg