Over speeds and roadside fines

Andrejs:
Now to many people hate who foreigh drivers go to fast and no get penalty for this and talk who all problem with Europian Union.I driver by car 2 week ago to Spain.Yesterday in England ready get letter which dated 17.05 who 14.05 i drive 124km/h with 100km/p limit.I get penalty 100 euro or 50 if i will paid in 20 day time .Why Spain can sent letter in 10-12 day to Uk.But UK can t sent to Poland or anywhere?May be it is not EU problem but UK Police fault??
p.s i will paid this penalty today or tomorrow.

It is nothing to do with the police it depends what reciprocal agreements each country has with another, DVLA will give your details to any country that asks yet a lot of European will not just give out their citizens details hence why foreign plated vehicles speeding through cameras in the UK do not get a ticket.

Mazzer2:

Andrejs:
Now to many people hate who foreigh drivers go to fast and no get penalty for this and talk who all problem with Europian Union.I driver by car 2 week ago to Spain.Yesterday in England ready get letter which dated 17.05 who 14.05 i drive 124km/h with 100km/p limit.I get penalty 100 euro or 50 if i will paid in 20 day time .Why Spain can sent letter in 10-12 day to Uk.But UK can t sent to Poland or anywhere?May be it is not EU problem but UK Police fault??
p.s i will paid this penalty today or tomorrow.

It is nothing to do with the police it depends what reciprocal agreements each country has with another, DVLA will give your details to any country that asks yet a lot of European will not just give out their citizens details hence why foreign plated vehicles speeding through cameras in the UK do not get a ticket.

If I remember correctly, from May last year the UK finally joined most of the rest of the EU in swapping info.
As I understand it the rest of the EU has rules that mean they will pursue the registered owner of a vehicle for a fine, and arent much interested in who the actual driver was? Whilst in the UK the rules are written such that anyone making a fuss and claiming they cant remember who was driving can (or at least could) walk away from it?
Of course, that is subject to me making it all up as I go along. :slight_smile:

slowlane:

Mazzer2:

biggriffin:

Sixties boy:
Microlise over speeds are set by the company operating the software, parameters as mentioned above.

Tachograph over speeds (the ones that flash on the display) are set at 5kph above speed limiter setting.

Then why does my Volvo give over speed at 91kmh and over after 60seconds.

I believe you can have the point at which the overspeed is set to adjusted with the workshop card or the next time it goes in for calibration

I thought a tacho will show overspeed at 91kmh because that is overspeeding - going faster than the 90kmh limit that trucks are allowed to achieve under their own power. The fact that in the UK, we have a speed limit of 60mph doesn’t stop the fact that you’re still overspeeding.

56-60mph - overspeeding, NOT speeding.
60+mph - overspeeding, AND speeding.

Overspeeds are classed as C&U offences.

Harry Monk:

Punchy Dan:

xichrisxi:
Overspeed isn’t speeding,our trucks were set at 52mph so if we went over 54mph it would flash up as an overspeed because you are going over the speed the trucks set to…

Simple as that cheers ,why does the Rha report form say about £100 ? Have I miss read it ?

Perhaps because it would be an offence in mainland Europe? But no, it’s not an offence in the UK to travel downhill at 59mph for any distance if the speed limit is 60mph.

you have answered my question as well,i go down Blunsdon hill on the A419 near Swindon everyday,i brake when it hits dead on 60 mph,sometimes the overspeed flashes up I look at it and say to myself ‘‘bxxxxxxs to you,speed limits 60mph in this country’’ and never worry about it,[and yes I do talk to myself,lol]

Franglais:
Whilst in the UK the rules are written such that anyone making a fuss and claiming they can`t remember who was driving can (or at least could) walk away from it?

I think that was your quote Franglais too many quoted posts to edit to be 100%,sure without checking again before posting this.

That loophole was closed many many years ago for ‘pool’ or company vehicles and anyone who owns a car or allows someone to use it should know of they were the driver of the vehicle at the time or not. If someone can’t produce the info then they are prosecuted for the offence themselves for not being able to provide driver info.

And also the reason why now we have more front facing cameras as people used to try and still say it wasn’t them driving and with photo evidence front on were caught out to be lying.

simcor:

Franglais:
Whilst in the UK the rules are written such that anyone making a fuss and claiming they can`t remember who was driving can (or at least could) walk away from it?

I think that was your quote Franglais too many quoted posts to edit to be 100%,sure without checking again before posting this.

That loophole was closed many many years ago for ‘pool’ or company vehicles and anyone who owns a car or allows someone to use it should know of they were the driver of the vehicle at the time or not. If someone can’t produce the info then they are prosecuted for the offence themselves for not being able to provide driver info.

And also the reason why now we have more front facing cameras as people used to try and still say it wasn’t them driving and with photo evidence front on were caught out to be lying.

This is what I was thinking of:
express.co.uk/life-style/ca … peeding-UK
“However, foreign drivers caught breaking the law in the UK cannot be hit with the same penalties due to a legal loophole
Fines for these drivers caught on CCTV will be voided if the person leaves the country, although they may still have to pay if issued a fine at roadside.”

rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori … directive/
“Unfortunately the application of the directive is simply not practical. In the UK it is the driver of a speeding vehicle who receives penalty points whereas in France it is the vehicle’s registered keeper who is deemed to be responsible.

"This means a French person caught speeding in the UK could get away with the offence if they were not the registered keeper of the vehicle concerned, as the French equivalent of the DVLA can only pass details of the offence to the keeper. This may make prosecution extremely hard for UK authorities.

Sand Fisher:

At the risk of sounding stupid what are C & U offences? Having been pulled by DVSA plenty of times in both UK and Irish registered lorries not once has anyone ever mentioned overspeeds despite there plenty for them to see, As I said before the only people who take any notice of them are office people with nothing better to do.

Mazzer2:

Sand Fisher:

At the risk of sounding stupid what are C & U offences? Having been pulled by DVSA plenty of times in both UK and Irish registered lorries not once has anyone ever mentioned overspeeds despite there plenty for them to see, As I said before the only people who take any notice of them are office people with nothing better to do.

Construction and use offences.

I’ve been told by many driver trainers that overspeeding is illegal by C&U regs.

Most people will argue the fact it’s wrong.

But the Construction and use regs state the vehicle must be limited to x mph dependant on the vehicle type.

Therefore it is effectively a law just a different law. Whether anyone has been prosecuted for going over speed a little bit I doubt it.

But prolonged over speeds and lots of them and I imagine it would certainly raise some questions.

I am fairly confident if you were travelling down a hill at say 70mph in a truck with a cop car behind you they would pull you over and be able to prosecute you for it.

Whether it exceeding the limiter by propulsion or other means. Law is always a grey area there is not back and white.

^^^ some correct points. Many more wrong points. Take everything driver trainers tell you with a pinch of salt.

simcor:
I’ve been told by many driver trainers that overspeeding is illegal by C&U regs.

Most driver trainers are full of [zb], along with DCPC trainers.

Mazzer2:

Sand Fisher:

Same here.

Even the French haven’t given them a second look any time I’ve been pulled.

simcor:

Mazzer2:

Sand Fisher:

Construction and use offences.

Most people will argue the fact it’s wrong.

But the Construction and use regs state the vehicle must be limited to x mph dependant on the vehicle type.

Therefore it is effectively a law just a different law. Whether anyone has been prosecuted for going over speed a little bit I doubt it.

But prolonged over speeds and lots of them and I imagine it would certainly raise some questions.

I am fairly confident if you were travelling down a hill at say 70mph in a truck with a cop car behind you they would pull you over and be able to prosecute you for it.

Whether it exceeding the limiter by propulsion or other means. Law is always a grey area there is not back and white.

Correct. Think it was the Traffic Commissioners that were ‘a bit exercised’ by these C&U offences.

Personally I think these overspeeeds are testicular nonsense when you are within the vehicle speed limit i.e 60 on a 60/70 mph stretch of motorway and operators of microlise tosh should accept that. But they don’t…

What really annoys me about our older trucks is they’re limited to 85km/h and will flash up overspeeds at 86km/h.

No matter what the truck is restricted to you can still legally set the overspeed trigger at 91km/h. I think the clowns in the office cottoned on eventually as our newer trucks don’t do it.

Someone linked this pdf in an other topic
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/705568/dvsa-enforcement-sanctions-policy.pdf

DVSA Enforcement sanction policy, page 17

SPEED LIMITERS
General notes

The Table of RSL Thresholds which can be found in the Categorisation of Defects.

Examiners should bear in mind the defences in subsection 13 of Regulation 36A and subsection 14 of Regulation 36B of the Road Vehicles (Construction and use) Regulations 1986.

Comparison between the speed trace on the tachograph record sheet and the set speed on the speed limiter plate [taking into account Regulation 36B(11A)] may reveal cause for further examination or follow up enquiries. When examining tachograph record sheets there must be clear evidence that the vehicle is exceeding its legal limited speed and care must be taken that the excess speed is not due to over-run or an isolated incident. It may be necessary to check more than one record sheet to show sustained periods of excess speed (sustained period is in excess of 10 minutes, excess speed must be in excess of 10km/h of legal limited speed).

If there is evidence that the speed limiter effectiveness has been impaired deliberately or the defect is of longstanding (since the previous working week) identified from tachograph record sheets, then an ‘S’ marking on the prohibition would be justified

Frequent incidents of excess speeding should be reported to the Traffic Commissioner for possible action against the Operator Licence Statement of Intent.