Over speed digi card

can anyone tell me is it an infringement when you get a overspeed or what the rules are

What speed?
What road?

truckerone:
can anyone tell me is it an infringement when you get a overspeed or what the rules are

No it’s not an infringement to get an over-speed on the tachograph.

I’m not sure about this but I believe some companies may have a policy to issue infringements for over-speed events but if they do it’s purely because of company policy not law.

im on analogue so it dont bother me but my boss on digi and he says three overspeeds and its an offence,i thought same as you ,but ive been wrong before,we probably all done/do it let truck runaway alittle down hill

The ‘only’ time you’re likely to get an over-speed is on a motorway,and that limit is 60 mph for us. :smiley:

So, it probably boils down to company policy,as others have said.

Overspeed on the motor I’m in seems to always kick in at bang on 60, I get it about 6 or 7 times per trip as I let the truck run to 60 on a downhill.

isnt an overspeed logged when you exceed the governed speed of the truck? So you could get an overspeed without breaking the M/way speed limit.

triple-tango:
isnt an overspeed logged when you exceed the governed speed of the truck? So you could get an overspeed without breaking the M/way speed limit.

Yes. I’m suggesting that an over-speed under 60 [on a motorway] may not be illegal.
The tach is set to display all manner of things,not all are necessarily illegal or bad…depending on company policy.

truckerone:
im on analogue so it dont bother me but my boss on digi and he says three overspeeds and its an offence,i thought same as you ,but ive been wrong before,we probably all done/do it let truck runaway alittle down hill

I’ve just checked the VOSA enforcement policy and cannot find any fixed penalty listed for over-speeds so I believe your boss is mistaken unless he’s talking about company policy rather than a legal offence :wink:

This is all the “Vehicle And Operator Services Agency Enforcement Sanctions Policy” says about overspeeds.

DIGITAL TACHOGRAPH OVERSPEED SETTING

The overspeed setting contained within the digital tachograph calibration parameters has no effect on the functioning of the speed limitation device fitted to the vehicle. The setting is used to trigger the production of an ‘Overspeed Event’ should the vehicle exceed the authorised speed of the vehicle for a period greater than one minute. The overspeed setting should be set to the maximum stabilised speed of the vehicle concerned.
For example, in the case of a maximum weight articulated vehicle these values are currently, 85kmh for the speed limiter setting with the stabilised speed not to exceed 90 kmh. Therefore the overspeed setting for this type of vehicle must be no greater than 90 kmh.
If the ‘overspeed’ file or the ‘technical data’ file shows the overspeed setting to be higher than the permitted value, then the procedure to be followed is that appropriate to a vehicle with a tachograph that has not been correctly fitted (offence 4-20).

This has come up before. Ive had overspeeds between 55 & 59 mph, some times half a dozen a night. You cannot even rely on it happening at the same speed every time. As pointed out earlier as long as you are below the 60 mph limit you are fine. It’s happened to me for the last 8 months and I’ve never had anything back.

tachograph:

truckerone:

No it’s not an infringement to get an over-speed on the tachograph.

I’m not sure about this but I believe some companies may have a policy to issue infringements for over-speed events but if they do it’s purely because of company policy not law.

It also depends what country you are running in also. The 3 overspeeds comes from France and Germany and they most def will have a big smile on their face as you hand over your euro’s

Correct me if I am wrong but I think over speed on most trucks is set a two mph higher than the speed limiter. So if your limiter is set at 56 mph and you exceed 58 mph for more than one minute over speed will show on your tacho. This is legal if you are on a motorway, but illegal any were else.

Mwahahaha all you loosers. My coach doesn’t overspeed till I hit 70 when im sailing by - suckas! :smiling_imp:

knight:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think over speed on most trucks is set a two mph higher than the speed limiter. So if your limiter is set at 56 mph and you exceed 58 mph for more than one minute over speed will show on your tacho. This is legal if you are on a motorway, but illegal any were else.

If i remember right its about 5 kmph over your limter speed but doubt it be to long before VOSA etc follow in footsteps of their partners over the water and start dishing out fines for it because they will say you dont have the vehicle under control as its ‘running away from you’

taffytrucker:
It also depends what country you are running in also. The 3 overspeeds comes from France and Germany and they most def will have a big smile on their face as you hand over your euro’s

got stopped a couple of months ago in bayonne and san sebastian - the frenchman also did a printout, which showed that 18 overspeeds had ocurred that day, cost me nothing. the same in spain. I’m not saying that it isn’t a possibility but you can’t be afraid of everything.

i used to let it run to 65 down hill on a motorway, as long as i was in control i wouldnt say 5mph over the speed limit was excessive {everyone seems happy with 55 on a D/C} anyway after a year i got sick of the bloody thing so bought one with an anolugue tacho, much more relaxing now

taffytrucker:

knight:

If i remember right its about 5 kmph over your limter speed but doubt it be to long before VOSA etc follow in footsteps of their partners over the water and start dishing out fines for it because they will say you dont have the vehicle under control as its ‘running away from you’

Unless it clearly states in the cab what the overspeed is set at, how can triggering it be an infringement if it does so at less than 60mph.
Also, what is the overspeed set at on wagons limited to say 52mph.

milodon:

taffytrucker:

got stopped a couple of months ago in bayonne and san sebastian - the frenchman also did a printout, which showed that 18 overspeeds had ocurred that day, cost me nothing. the same in spain. I’m not saying that it isn’t a possibility but you can’t be afraid of everything.

Same happened to me re overspeeds in France which might have been over the national speed limit also, but I did get 90 euros for the wheel not stopping turning at a solid white line at the junction (all clear, 2 am) :unamused:

Normally sit at around 70 downhills so flashs up quite abit, never had anything said about it.

It is quite simple.
An overspeed event occurs when the vehicle exceeds its governed speed for over a minute.

In the UK, the motorway speed limit for my truck is 60 mph, which is 96 kmh.
My truck is limited, or governed, to a maximum powered speed of 90kmh as required by law. An overspeed event occurs at a sustained speed of 91 kmh or more for a minute. As 91 kmh is well within the motorway speed limit for the UK, it is not a possibility you could be prosecuted for doing that speed on a motorway. It is therefore not possible for an overspeed event to be a legal infringement.
You may be unlucky enough to have a boss who is an idiot. Your boss can make it a company policy infringement to record a number of overspeed events.

If a truck exceeds 90 kmh for more than one minute an overspeed event will be recorded.
If, however, you exceed 90 kmh for less than a minute an overspeed event will not be recorded. I know this is true, because I use it quite frequently. On a steep downhill I will allow my truck to run on by quite a large margin, but I will bring my speed down to 90 kmh before a full minute has elapsed. No overspeed event recorded.
On other occasions however, I’ve been going down a quite gentle hill. My speed has crept up to 91 kmh and I haven’t noticed. A minute later an overspeed event has been recorded.
I’m not in the slightest bit concerned or stressed. Happily my boss isn’t concerned or stressed either.

Germany, France and Belgium have a different attitude to overspeed events.
In Germany the motorway speed limit is 80 kmh. The police don’t normally notice you are doing 90 kmh. However, their attitude changes if you have frequent overspeed events recorded. They feel that they have already given you enough leeway by ignoring 90. Frequently over 90 is kicking the arse out of it.
France and even more so Belgium, the law is the law. 90 is the limit, do not exceed 90 and absolutely do not exceed 90 for long enough to record an overspeed event.