Overspeed?

Just a quick question, I was on the motorway on cruse control (set it at 55mph) and didn’t realise the it had gone to 60mph(thought it would be like my car and stick to set speed) The dash and tacho noted it. I was chatting to the driver who’s been with me for 2 weeks, will this show up as an infringement when I download my card?
Thanks

What did it say?

Overspeed 30? as if it was that you’ll be fine as that’s just a warning, not an infringement.
It’s when you overspeed for 60 seconds you’ll get an infringement.

No problem at all as it was not illegal

A ‘T’ appeared on the dashboard (Volvo FH) and I had to press ok on the tacho twice from memory, its been a long day.

Did you take a printout mate, shows on there. I’ve had one but it noted 0 as the time, so didn’t count

ROG:
No problem at all as it was not illegal

Very true ROG, but my firm would count that as an infringement whether it was under 60 or not…
I’d just sign the bollox company paperwork and forget it. :confused:

Our old gaffer used to say “No Overspeed? Not trying today then?” Lol

I had an interesting discussion with a driver assessor on the question of legality. I asserted that, because the legal speed for a lorry is 60 (on the right roads at least), any ‘overspeed’ between 56 and 60 was legal.

The assessor disagreed and said that, because lorries must be speed limited to 56, anything over this is not legal. The only reason the 60 limit still exists is for the few ancient lorries which are not subject to the requirement for speed limiters.

I wasn’t going to argue the toss (I was on an assessment), but I wasn’t convinced with his version. However, there is still some confusion and worry about 56 vs 60 in my mind. Most of the time I’m limited to 53 so it doesn’t bother me in practice, but where I do creep over 56 I do try to pull it back before the overspeed warning appears. I will definitely use brakes to prevent anything over 60 for any length of time at all.

ORC:
I had an interesting discussion with a driver assessor on the question of legality. I asserted that, because the legal speed for a lorry is 60 (on the right roads at least), any ‘overspeed’ between 56 and 60 was legal.

The assessor disagreed and said that, because lorries must be speed limited to 56, anything over this is not legal. The only reason the 60 limit still exists is for the few ancient lorries which are not subject to the requirement for speed limiters.

I wasn’t going to argue the toss (I was on an assessment), but I wasn’t convinced with his version. However, there is still some confusion and worry about 56 vs 60 in my mind. Most of the time I’m limited to 53 so it doesn’t bother me in practice, but where I do creep over 56 I do try to pull it back before the overspeed warning appears. I will definitely use brakes to prevent anything over 60 for any length of time at all.

I simply go by the law of the land mate. On the other hand, company policy will vary and a lot will give you the infringement to cover their backside (imo).

You’ve done nothing wrong unless you exceed 60mph, overspeeds aren’t recorded on your card they’re only stored in the vehicle unit.

Had an overspeed of 74 (don’t ask), was warned by my TM and made to sign the infringement.
A week later got pulled into the test station in Perth :blush: checked my card and the only thing that happened was the VOSA guy said “that’s all fine - a bit quick on a couple of downhills, but you’re good to go” :sunglasses:
I think they only worry if the overspeed is for a long time, as that would mean the limiter has been disabled.

The Sarge:
Had an overspeed of 74 (don’t ask), was warned by my TM and made to sign the infringement.
A week later got pulled into the test station in Perth :blush: checked my card and the only thing that happened was the VOSA guy said “that’s all fine - a bit quick on a couple of downhills, but you’re good to go” :sunglasses:
I think they only worry if the overspeed is for a long time, as that would mean the limiter has been disabled.

Yeah, that’s it, I’ve hit 70 before but noticed it before 30 seconds, downshift to bring it back under 60, and card downloaded with no infringements.

However, I once followed a Waitrose artic down Haldon Hill A380, speeding the whole way from the top to the bottom, by the time he hit the bottom was doing just under 90, crazy ■■■■ :laughing: I think he might have had a rollocking at the depot.

Oh, and before you start, I was in me van

Our place has started infringements for overspeed as I got one for 97kmh for 1 minute and 14 secs. Apparently the vehicle speed limiter should never be exceeded as it comes under use and construction regulations. Personally I also believe that as long as you don’t exceed the speed limit for a truck on any type of road that 60 is the legal speed limit.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I regularly get overspeeds down hill many variations in speed from minor to more serious. I just sign companies crud paperwork and carry on. Boss never seems bothered unless it gets excessive [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite happily do 70 on downhill parts of the m25 :slight_smile:

iomex:

The Sarge:

Yeah, that’s it, I’ve hit 70 before but noticed it before 30 seconds, downshift to bring it back under 60, and card downloaded with no infringements.

However, I once followed a Waitrose artic down Haldon Hill A380, speeding the whole way from the top to the bottom, by the time he hit the bottom was doing just under 90, crazy [zb] :laughing: I think he might have had a rollocking at the depot.
What 90 mph down Haldon Hill ? I doubt that very much .

Oh, and before you start, I was in me van

My van was showing 85, which usually means the true speed is about 90. But tbh even in a light car you’ll coast up to 80 easily. I can never remember which way round Haldon/Telegraph hill is, but it was the Newton Abbot side, which is a LOT steeper than the Plymouth side

I usually get about 6 or 7 over speeds a day nothing been said so far. Today’s the only day I’ve not had

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Before we all get carried away with how fast we can overspeed, have a think about the centripetal forces at work on your tyres! :open_mouth:

And if something did go wrong like a tyre blowing out and causing an accident, have a think about what you’re going to be saying over tea and biscuits with the TC when they bring up the Tacho records, saying you were doing X speed at the time of the incident… :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
…have a think about the centripetal forces at work on your tyres!

Hang on, before you start throwing in mind bending physics theories into a truck forum, can we have a warning especially for those who’ve not done physics in 20+ years! :slight_smile:

I still wanna know if anyone has managed 100mph and if so, how the heck do you get a truck to do anything like that without blowing up the gearbox etc!? Is it still possible to take the thing out of gear and cruise down the hills, or is that manual box only? Never dared taking an auto box into neutral while moving.